1 DAC to 2 Amps
Feb 12, 2021 at 6:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Bruc3

100+ Head-Fier
hi all,
Lets say I have DAC like the Schiit Modi which only has 1 pair of RCA output and want to connect it to 2 of my amps at the same time.

If I buy 2 x cable below would that do the job?
https://www.amazon.com.au/FosPower-...Male+to+2-Male+RCA&qid=1613171953&sr=8-1&th=1

I dont really know how RCA cables work, but was bit worried if that cable does what I want or if it actually splits the 1 RCA port to left channel and right channel instead.

So the setup would be:
RCA splitter cable A > DAC RCA left output > Amp 1 RCA left input and Amp 2 RCA left input
RCA splitter cable B > DAC RCA right output > Amp 1 RCA right input and Amp 2 RCA right input

Would this be the correct setup?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Feb 12, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 22
Do you intend to listen to both at the same time?
Otherwise you could get an audio switch box (listen to one or the other).

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 22
I rather a more simple solution that just has both playing at same time.

So would the setup work as I mentioned in my post?
I would not recommend playing both at the same time. The output voltage of the DAC will be divided by the two impedances in parallel represented by the two amps.

Feb 15, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #7 of 22
I would not recommend playing both at the same time. The output voltage of the DAC will be divided by the two impedances in parallel represented by the two amps.
I completely agree with you.

Feb 15, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #8 of 22
hi all,
Lets say I have DAC like the Schiit Modi which only has 1 pair of RCA output and want to connect it to 2 of my amps at the same time.

If I buy 2 x cable below would that do the job?
https://www.amazon.com.au/FosPower-Y-Adapter-Audio-Adapter-Cable/dp/B01LQVWGAI/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=1-Male+to+2-Male+RCA&qid=1613171953&sr=8-1&th=1

I dont really know how RCA cables work, but was bit worried if that cable does what I want or if it actually splits the 1 RCA port to left channel and right channel instead.

So the setup would be:
RCA splitter cable A > DAC RCA left output > Amp 1 RCA left input and Amp 2 RCA left input
RCA splitter cable B > DAC RCA right output > Amp 1 RCA right input and Amp 2 RCA right input

Would this be the correct setup?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I wouldn't do it. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

Feb 15, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 22
Voltages are not divided by loads in parallel - current is. Whether it works well or poorly will depend on the ratio of the resultant input impedance of the two amps to the output impedance of the DAC.

Feb 15, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #13 of 22
Voltages are not divided by loads in parallel - current is. Whether it works well or poorly will depend on the ratio of the resultant input impedance of the two amps to the output impedance of the DAC.
if it's just signal wont the only effect be a split signal meaning the amps will just have to be driven harder to get a desired output?

Feb 15, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #14 of 22
Input impedances are typically spec'd very high (>10-100k) for exactly this reason so that splitters don't cause significant imbalances. Amps are designed to amplify voltage not source current and line outputs are designed as voltage sources with unmatched and typically very low impedance (<100). This allows it to to hold stable voltage over a wide range of line input sink currents. Since those are high impedance they draw almost no current and have very little impact on the signal voltage that is being amplified.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level

'''
The line input acts similarly to a high impedance voltmeter or oscilloscope input, measuring the voltage asserted by the output while drawing minimal current (and hence minimal power) from the source. The high impedance of the line in the circuit does not load down the output of the source device. These are voltage signals (as opposed to current signals) and it is the signal information (voltage) that is desired, not power to drive a transducer, such as a speaker or antenna. The actual information that is exchanged between the devices is the variance in voltage; it is this alternating voltage signal that conveys the information, making the current irrelevant.
'''

Unless you have a very low quality DAC with high output impedance or amps with low input impedance you shouldn't notice a significant drop in volume across 2 amps.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #15 of 22
if it's just signal wont the only effect be a split signal meaning the amps will just have to be driven harder to get a desired output?
No, per the logic that @groovyd presented, the input impedances of the amps are so high that they do not significantly load the source. Most likely you could remove the input from one amp and not notice a change in output of the other because the input voltages would not change. The potentially problematic situation that I was describing, where the impedance ratio was too low, is a condition where the amp input would load the source to the point that it was no longer acting like a pure voltage source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back