$1,500 - Balanced Amp
Dec 24, 2013 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Scotteq

New Head-Fier
Heya guys - I'm in the market for a new amplifier.  Budget is in the vicinity of US $1,500.00

Made the choice to go with Amplification first.   Better headphones will follow as finances allow.

SOURCE:  OPPO BDP 105 (has balanced outputs, and an excellent DAC)

Current phones:  Sennheiser HD650 -  (Senn HD800 or Audeze LCD{something} are in the future.)

Personally, I'm not wedded to the idea of either Tubes or Solid State, as both (should be!!) neutral when properly done.   However, at the price point and with the Balanced requirement...  that pretty much leaves SS, as far as I can tell.

DAC not being necessary, the prime candidates are:  Sennheiser HDVA600, Bryston BHP-1, and based on the newly posted review I'm also considering a Questyle CMA800R

If it helps - (not overblown) detail and MicroDynamics rate highly with me. 

My recent listening preferences are Jazz (small combo and electric/fusion), experimental, and Acoustic (folk & blues).  Old metalhead, though, so there's still lots of that.

~~ Would anyone with experience of one or more of these provide Thoughts? Comments?? Ridicule???

Dec 25, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #4 of 4
  Are you looking balanced input to output or just balanced out for the headphones?  For that price bracket, the best amp I can think of for those headphones is SE in but has balanced out (S7).  The Mojo is the closest thing on the balanced front but Sennheiser are not its forte.

Balanced Inputs - my source (the Oppo) has balanced outputs, which I want to take advantage of.  :)

AURALiC Taurus MKII. 
MSRP is higher but if you shop around you can find it in the range you are looking.

I will definitely check this out :D

Thanks Guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back