1/4 vs. 1/8 inch plug
Feb 24, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the contrary, my amp is using a 1/4 and recable to 1/8 would be useless, plus from my experience 1/4 inchers break far less...far far far less, and stay in better.

Btw, so if best connection is direct solder, should I do that with my headphones+amp? xD We can truly call it an audio listening system then.

... i just said that the contact would be better, not that it would actually sound better... although it might.

Feb 24, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the 1/4" TRS and Mono TS connectors are carry over standards from telecommunications industries in the 40s. When switchboard operators would patch over calls. And Even that might be carry over from telegraph operators and military standards.

It just got carried over from other industries.

Personally I dont like either TRS because they short out the amp channel as you plug and unplug. I like locking XLRs personally. But of course you cant use that on a small portable.

Couldn't you technically use a pair of spdif jacks on portables to force separation and avoid shorts?

Feb 24, 2007 at 8:24 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Couldn't you technically use a pair of spdif jacks on portables to force separation and avoid shorts?

Is that like a BNC connector? There are a lot of plugs that will work. They do make mini XLR connectors that might work too.

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #20 of 24
It's a funny bit of design history that plugs of all kinds are very often some of the last elements of a piece of electronics to be modernized, for the obvious reason that it's hard to introduce a new standard when everyone already has the old socket.

In headphones, think of the 5-prong DIN Kopfhoerer plug that the Germans tried to promote for about twenty years or so as a counter-principle to the 1/4" plug. It was much more stable and durable, but also even bigger, and has now gone the way of the dodo. Predictably the last holdouts on this were the East Germans.

More commonly, think of the electric plugs we use, which in most countries are very old designs indeed. The US is lucky that it chose a smallish 2-prong design early on (later with the optional third ground prong); you should see the ridiculously huge plugs in use in places like Germany or England.

Feb 24, 2007 at 11:58 AM Post #21 of 24
I prefer 1/4", more of my gear uses it and I find it stays in better.

Feb 24, 2007 at 12:47 PM Post #22 of 24
So far it's been easy: Four sets of cans, only one decision to make!
smily_headphones1.gif

I decided on 1/8 for MS-1s since I decided to run them un amped 99% of the time....easy!!

Standard 1/8 on the KSC75s for computer, PCDP and.....the wifes' iPod!.....she just up and stole them from me!!

Standard 1/4 on the MS2i, as they'd be amped only.

And, the HD600s came with 1/8" with a dandy 1/4 adapter which is cool since I only listen to them amped, and if I want to listen to TV or movies, I still can use my flimsy little 1/8" extension cable!!

And when I do eventually order a Grado 1/4" extension cable to replace the flimsy one, I will also order a heavier duty HD650 cable for the HD600s, and that's cool too since both the Grado and Senns cables use good ol' standard OFC copper, so no big deal there!!

....yeah; I know, a 1/4" extension cable seems kinda short....
tongue.gif

Then I'll also be able to use the MS2i for TV viewing as well!

Choice is good!

Feb 25, 2007 at 8:53 AM Post #23 of 24
So there are fit differences, but sound quality remains the same?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back