1/4" F to 1/8" M headphone adaptor (iPhone compatible)
Mar 24, 2014 at 5:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ratmice

New Head-Fier
Okay,

I read a bunch of threads here regarding an adaptor, but it seems that there was not a good consensus. I recently purchased a replacement cable for my Sennheiser HD-25 1 II's and it came terminated with a 1/4" male plug. I need to occasionally attach it to an iPhone 5 that has a 1/8" mini plug receptacle. I'm looking for a decent cable that has a 1/4" female end connected by 4-6" of cable (for strain relief) and terminating in a super slim 1/8" mini plug (to be compatible with my iPhone and case - super narrow clearance for the plug and sheathing). The attached picture gives an idea of the mini plug-type I am looking for.  What are people using? I don't want to break the bank on this either - I've seen some offerings from ALO Audio and Qables that are way above reach.

Thanks,

Mat

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #2 of 8
Guess I get to reply to my own post. I ended up getting an offer from a cable maker to produce this for me. He may begin general production of them as there is a serious lack in the marketplace. Bye.

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #3 of 8
Mar 27, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 8
That does seem to be a cable, however the cable is much too long (for my use I need 4-6" as in OP) and the 1/8 miniplug barrel is much too large to fit the iPod with case.

Mar 27, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 8
Sorry. 6', 6" what's the difference between friends?

This is the right one.

http://www.studiospares.com/leads-minijack/minijack-stereojack-socket-lead-02m/invt/594580

If the barrel is too narrow at least you can take it off and wrap it with tape.

Buying Apple means you have loads of money. So it's to be expected you need to spend more money for accessories. Especially narrow plug requirement is simply the low tech equivalent of a patent connecter.

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #6 of 8
  Sorry. 6', 6" what's the difference between friends?

This is the right one.

http://www.studiospares.com/leads-minijack/minijack-stereojack-socket-lead-02m/invt/594580

If the barrel is too narrow at least you can take it off and wrap it with tape.

Buying Apple means you have loads of money. So it's to be expected you need to spend more money for accessories. Especially narrow plug requirement is simply the low tech equivalent of a patent connecter.

That is a good length, but, and there's always a but, the barrel is to wide so wrapping with tape will just not do :)   If you mean to remove the barrel and just apply a little tape instead, I'm not willing to do that either as you will have to cut the cable to get the barrel off. I am also not a fan of the massive female connector.

Apple products are very nice, but they do have their quirks. remember Think Different!

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 8
If you mean to remove the barrel and just apply a little tape instead, I'm not willing to do that either as you will have to cut the cable to get the barrel off.

No you won't. It's quality gear. It screws off. Only cheap stuff has moulded plugs. The expensive stuff comes to bits so you can fix it yourself if it breaks.

Take your point. You'd need self confidence to sport gaffer tape on your iStuff. Although it would look cool if you could carry it off.

Well done though. First time someones request has beaten http://www.studiospares.com/cables+connectors/icat/shocablesconnectors

Mar 27, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #8 of 8

No you won't. It's quality gear. It screws off. Only cheap stuff has moulded plugs. The expensive stuff comes to bits so you can fix it yourself if it breaks.

Take your point. You'd need self confidence to sport gaffer tape on your iStuff. Although it would look cool if you could carry it off.

Well done though. First time someones request has beaten http://www.studiospares.com/cables+connectors/icat/shocablesconnectors

I didn't mean to imply that it's shoddy kit, I'm familiar with Neutrik quality parts. The cable comes fully assembled I assume? The miniplug barrel unscrews and comes off the "back" of the plug assembly (and the cable goes through it) so yes it would unscrew from the plug but how do you get it off the cable without cutting the cable (or desoldering the leads). I've got nothing against gaffer tape, either, but please take a look at the OP and picture therein. The part of the Studiospares miniplug that the barrel screws onto is too wide to fit into the recesses provided in iPhone/ipods and their cases. The pictured mini plug (and barrel) is tiny compared to the Neutrik one. Again, as it says in the OP I need a super slim miniplug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back