06 Micro DAC vs Ultra Micro DAC
Nov 12, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by royewest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Dave. I have a 2008 Ultra Micro DAC. It is a truly wonderful sounding DAC; very musical. I can't recommend it highly enough.

I was just tempted by that cable and wished there were, for example, a USPS option for a couple of dollars for little items like that. But if I order something else from Headroom some time, I'll try to remember to combine the order.

__Roy

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to say USPS shipping is always available at HeadRoom upon customer request for small, fairly inexpensive items like earpads, eartips, accessories and interconnect cabling... You'll just have to call us during business hours to place the USPS-delivery order since our primitive online order cart does not specify FedEX or USPS (soon!
bigsmile_face.gif
) delivery as of yet.... Typical USPS mailing charges within the continental USA average about $5 bucks!

smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Nov 12, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #32 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
headscratch.gif

Really? I don't think so. It's got nice and low crosstalk numbers, though.

I lied. I remember exactly where I read that. And the manual still says what I thought it did.

What's up with this? Dual mono or no?

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #34 of 40
Howdy Thread,

...Hmm, i think that's the spec description for the Micro Amp / Ultra Micro Amp topologies -- which do indeed have full dual mono designs all the way back to the power supply & a DC coupled signal path from input to output.

The Micro DAC devices do not share this design.

I will look into our HeadRoom Micro manual copywriting asap to ensure the verbiage is correct!...
confused_face(1).gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #35 of 40
Yeah, sounds like you have an issue with the manual, then. Because it does, indeed, read

Code:

Code:
[left]Full dual mono design all the way back to the power supply[/left]

Right underneath

Code:

Code:
[left]Micro DAC & Ultra Micro DAC Common Features[/left]

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:37 AM Post #36 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to say USPS shipping is always available at HeadRoom upon customer request for small, fairly inexpensive items like earpads, eartips, accessories and interconnect cabling... You'll just have to call us during business hours to place the USPS-delivery order since our primitive online order cart does not specify FedEX or USPS (soon!
bigsmile_face.gif
) delivery as of yet.... Typical USPS mailing charges within the continental USA average about $5 bucks!

smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Jorge
HR Sales/Product Manager

Thanks, Jorge. Good to know.

Nov 13, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #38 of 40
Okie dokie, I'm going to do this post in a couple of steps because I'm still figuring some stuff out.

I think the problem might be a misunderstanding of terms here at HeadRoom.

My understanding is that dual-mono means that the left and right channel are completely electrically separate all the way back to the power cord. This means that to be truly dual-mono you have to have two power supply transformers, and that the two sides don't touch each other till you get back to the primary side of the transformers.

So the statement "Full dual mono design all the way back to the power supply" is logically inconsistent with my vocabulary. The product does however maintain completly separate paths for left and right signals, supply voltages, and grounds which do come together at the supply.

I know that some manufacturers will advertise dual-mono when there is one power transformer with one primary winding and two secondary windings, or when there is one transformer and rough supply, but separate regulation for the left and right side.

I'll stop there and ask the question: What do you think Dual-Mono means?

While youz guyz answer that, I'll rummage through the schematics and refresh my memory of what, exactly, is in each.

Nov 13, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #39 of 40
Well, my RPX-33 says dualmono right on the front, and it has two discrete power supplies... so I guess I would agree with you, Tyll, that dual mono should mean everything is separate from the power cord entering the device to the actual output jack.

So it seems your copy really meant "dual mono from the power supply to the output" or something...

It seems to me that you might be able to use the words dual mono somehow in your literature via marketing fudge, but it must be qualified, and putting the word "full" would simply be untrue from my standpoint...

Nov 13, 2008 at 11:42 PM Post #40 of 40
I have listened to this units and they sound amazing. So as far as sound, does it matter what we call it?
wink_face.gif
Not in my opinion.
biggrin.gif

However to appease the righteous then I would agree w/ the 1st definition used by Tyll.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back