06 Micro DAC vs Ultra Micro DAC
Nov 8, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is that the amp and dac would have different power requirements at different times I believe. I may not be correct though....but you would be putting twice the strain on the astrodyne also.

Dave

No different to the 6 outputs on the back of a DPS. Except that the Astrodyne can supply a whopping 42 watts of power, which is actually a lot more than the DPS.

Think of the all in one amps, such as the desktop. The electronics module and the DAC modules are run off one common +/- 15V supply.

Unless I'm completely wrong that is...

Nov 8, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #17 of 40
I'm absolutely loving the sound of my new Ultra Micro DAC. Here are a couple pics I posted in the Transportable rig pics thread.

(MacBook Pro via USB) -> HeadRoom Ultra Micro DAC w/ Astrodyne power supply -> Cardas 6" mini-to-mini -> RSA "The Predator" -> UE11

Nov 8, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #18 of 40
It sounds marvelous doesnt it thread?
Glad your enjoying it as much as I am
k701smile.gif

Those ue11s must sound awesome.

What was your opinion on astrodyne vs no astrodyne?

Dave

Nov 9, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #19 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No different to the 6 outputs on the back of a DPS. Except that the Astrodyne can supply a whopping 42 watts of power, which is actually a lot more than the DPS.

Think of the all in one amps, such as the desktop. The electronics module and the DAC modules are run off one common +/- 15V supply.

Unless I'm completely wrong that is...

Are all of the outputs on a single supply? I guess that would make sense because as the circuit required more energy it would simply pull what it needed right? Hmm. I wish I had a degree in electrical engineering hah. Tyll! we need you!

Dave

Nov 9, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #20 of 40
Yeah, after a bit of A/B'ing, I believe the Astrodyne power helps the DAC gain a bit more control and thus a more crispy / transparent / enveloping(!) sound. While it is fairly small, I do think it offers a noticeable improvement.

Also, having two wall warts means it will be easier to use at both home and work.

And yes, the UE11 owns. This little rig sounds fantastic to me.

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #22 of 40
Male parts. LOL.
smily_headphones1.gif

Giving some more listening time to the Ultra Micro DAC, I'm pleased.
smily_headphones1.gif
My Grados now have soundstage. My roommate gave it a listen too, and he noticed the extra bass, something I can't complain about. Gives the 325is a stronger bottom end.
smily_headphones1.gif
And overall, a more "in front of you" feeling to the music.

I like it.
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #23 of 40
Damn right.

Coming from the DAC in the Predator, this Ultra Micro DAC does have a much more pleasing sound. Like a veil has been lifted, I have a crispier, more accurate sound with, as moogoob mentioned, increased soundstage due perhaps to increased stereo separation. (The Ultra Micro DAC has a full dualmono design.)

Makes for one hell of an office rig, I'll tell you that.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: I was thinking about the "veil has been lifted" remark and I'd like to amend that -- It's more like the sound has come more into focus. There is a crispiness/detail, particularly in the treble, that is quite noticeable.

Nov 12, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #24 of 40
I wonder if my next step will be a stationary DAC/AMP combo such as the Meier Cantate or a Total Headroom Ultra Micro DAC to pair with my recently bought( but yet not received ) RSA SR-71A.

If I choose the second option, I'd need a Cardas mini-to-mini though and I have no idea where to buy it. Can someone give mt a hint?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #27 of 40
Roye,
If you buy the ultra micro dac from headroom also you dont get charged for shipping twice over, and you will probably need a coaxial to mini adapter if you want to use multiple sources easily so 3 birds, one shipment.

Cheers,
Dave

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #28 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(The Ultra Micro DAC has a full dualmono design.)

headscratch.gif

Really? I don't think so. It's got nice and low crosstalk numbers, though.

Nov 12, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by myinitialsaredac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Roye,
If you buy the ultra micro dac from headroom also you dont get charged for shipping twice over, and you will probably need a coaxial to mini adapter if you want to use multiple sources easily so 3 birds, one shipment.

Cheers,
Dave

Hi Dave. I have a 2008 Ultra Micro DAC. It is a truly wonderful sounding DAC; very musical. I can't recommend it highly enough.

I was just tempted by that cable and wished there were, for example, a USPS option for a couple of dollars for little items like that. But if I order something else from Headroom some time, I'll try to remember to combine the order.

__Roy

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #30 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
headscratch.gif

Really? I don't think so. It's got nice and low crosstalk numbers, though.

Whoops! My bad then... Not sure how I got that idea. Thanks for clearing that up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back