0404 usb overkill as soundcard only??
May 12, 2008 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

sizwej

100+ Head-Fier
I know the e-mu 0404usb has been discussed extensively on this forum,but i have not found a post that has adressed my one concern about it.I have been thinking of upgrading my soundcard ,and based on the positive reviews, the 0404 is at the top of my list.However, i am concerned that it may be useless buying one as a soundcard only as i will only be using 10% of its features.(i should note that i already have a stand alone DAC,so i dont need that function either).any thoughts?

May 12, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #2 of 10
I think most of the posts about the 0404 usb have been about using it as a stand alone sound card. As for how it sounds, I don't know; but I intend to find out. I just ordered it Friday along with some BX8a's and I hope they come sometime this week ^^

May 12, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 10
At its current price ($180-$200), the 0404 USB is in the same territory as other sound cards that may be similar or better in quality. Of course, the price also includes functionality that you won't use, but the fact that it's even in the running with other cards should say a lot. My personal favorite feature is the monitor output, which allows you to use balanced active monitors without additional equipment... If the 1616M had one, I'd buy it.
tongue.gif
Portability is another potentially major feature that influenced my purchase.

If you don't care about portability, consider these sound cards and DACs as well:

E-MU 1212M
Asus Xonar D2
AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude
Audiotrak Prodigy HD2
KECES DA-151
Zhaolu D2.5

May 12, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At its current price ($180-$200), the 0404 USB is in the same territory as other sound cards that may be similar or better in quality. Of course, the price also includes functionality that you won't use, but the fact that it's even in the running with other cards should say a lot. My personal favorite feature is the monitor output, which allows you to use balanced active monitors without additional equipment... If the 1616M had one, I'd buy it.
tongue.gif
Portability is another potentially major feature that influenced my purchase.

If you don't care about portability, consider these sound cards and DACs as well:

E-MU 1212M
Asus Xonar D2
AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude
Audiotrak Prodigy HD2
KECES DA-151
Zhaolu D2.5

thanx for the recommendations.in your opinion which of the cards you listed is best suited for 2 channel playback (no gaming).

May 12, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 10
Probably one of the first three. They all use different top-of-the-line DACs, so it will be up to personal preference and system matching. My personal pick was the 1212M, but that's because I was into recording and wanted balanced output; it takes up two PCI slots (one for the card, one for the daughter-board), so keep that in mind.

May 12, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My personal favorite feature is the monitor output, which allows you to use balanced active monitors without additional equipment... If the 1616M had one, I'd buy it.
tongue.gif
P

It has 6 analog balanced outputs. Any pair of these can be used as a monitor. They are triple-pole jacks (not XLR) maybe this made you think they are not
wink.gif

See here:
E-MU Systems - 1616M CardBus - Laptop Digital Audio System

May 12, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Behemot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It has 6 analog balanced outputs. Any pair of these can be used as a monitor. They are triple-pole jacks (not XLR) maybe this made you think they are not
wink.gif

See here:
E-MU Systems - 1616M CardBus - Laptop Digital Audio System

Sorry, I meant 'monitor preamp output'... Basically, a volume knob. As it stands, software is the only way to control the output level to active monitors, unlike the 0404 USB, which has a knob. The problem is that most inexpensive standalone attenuators really degrade sound quality.

May 13, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #9 of 10
ok,its a done deal.I've placed my order for the 0404.Lets hope i dont regret it!!

May 13, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by sizwej /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok,its a done deal.I've placed my order for the 0404.Lets hope i dont regret it!!

For the money and sound quality improvement I feel you won't regret it. Best of luck to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back