02 beyerdynamic is looking for testers who want to check-out the A 200 p. A high-end mobile DAC and AMP.
May 21, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #91 of 126
I think 4.2 was the first Android version for native USB out support.

May 21, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #92 of 126
  Much appreciated - I'll try it :)

I don't know which cable you're using but I had a problem with the long (1m) USBA cable on the end that connects to the A200.  It worked OK for an hour or two and then I started getting very frequent connection dropouts.  The short microUSB cable works flawlessly, however.  I have a new long cable on the way and I hope that fixes it.  I've really enjoyed listening to the amp via my portable player (Samsung GS4) but I want to get more listening in via my work laptop. 

May 22, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #94 of 126
Thanks for the help guys - really appreciated.

Quote:
  You might like to try this:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro

I believe it lets you use some USB DACs on some phones which don't have native support. There is a free trial version linked to from that page which is just as well with all those "some"s...

Worked well with the tablet - or maybe I should say it recognised the A 200 p and connected.  Played some music but:
  • Had all sorts of problems with the volume control - sometimes loud, sometimes too soft - pretty useless really.  I think it's the app.
  • Sometimes it would play perfectly clearly - then it would drop out, or drop the volume and emit a 10-20 second period of music and static.

I've deleted the app and I don't think I'll be testing Android further.

I think 4.2 was the first Android version for native USB out support.

Thanks phillyd - my wife's Samsung Mini is only running 3.8 I think - and she's not keen on upgrading.  It won't recogniose her phone.  Tried other software - can't get it going.  The tablet I mentioned above is running 4.2.2 and I couldn't get it to recognise the A 200 p as plug-n-play.  Just as bad with the software when it was recognised.

Probably my set-up, but peeved I can't put it through it's paces.  If only the i-Device 30 pin cable was available ......

Anyway - I'll review as a dac/amp for PC / Laptop - which is what I've been using it for - and I can say for that, it works as intended and is actually pretty good.

May 22, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #95 of 126
Hey Brooko,
Yeah some of the cheaper tablets and phones have issues with otg.
In many cases you actually have to control the volume via USB audio player pro in the settings. There is a gain setting within.

I had no issues on iOS 7.1.x and android 4.4.2

May 22, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #96 of 126
I've only tested it out of my Galaxy S3, which was plug and play. I know the S1 doesn't support external devices so I didn't even try. I think some of the cheap phones also have a different pin layout for OTG before they worked out a more formal standard, which is no help at the moment. :xf_eek:

May 23, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #97 of 126
I have just received mine !
biggrin.gif

It was surprisingly small for such performance ! 
After I plugged it in into my PC, I immediately found that the vocal has noticeably separated from the background in a good way, the music still feels like one piece, but more well-defined.
The bass has slightly tighten and slightly more powerful. The tremble has been smoothened very slightly. 

It is a great match with my T70p ! 
biggrin.gif

(Sorry for the poor English)

May 27, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #99 of 126
So sad to send this device back.

Yeah the massive improvement in power and clarity over my iBasso will be missed.

May 27, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #100 of 126
My review is up - http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-a200p-portable-mobile-dac-headphone-amp-for-iphone-and-android-phones-black-silver/reviews/11076

Really nice little device.  Loved it at work (actually listening to it right now with my DT880s).  Won't seem the same without it 
frown.gif

May 27, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #101 of 126
My review is up - http://www.head-fi.org/products/beyerdynamic-a200p-portable-mobile-dac-headphone-amp-for-iphone-and-android-phones-black-silver/reviews/11076

Really nice little device.  Loved it at work (actually listening to it right now with my DT880s).  Won't seem the same without it :frowning2:

Hey nice review.
I believe that the unit is meant to control the volume via the idevice. I believe this was working as intended. Both iPhone 5 and iPad mini retina worked in the same way for me. Where as on android I had either zero or full volume on the android with the wheel controlling overall output

May 27, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #102 of 126
Hey nice review.
I believe that the unit is meant to control the volume via the idevice. I believe this was working as intended. Both iPhone 5 and iPad mini retina worked in the same way for me. Where as on android I had either zero or full volume on the android with the wheel controlling overall output

Thanks Wyd - if that's the case then the amp section on the A 200 p must be very dependent on the output voltage of the coupled device - as it has very little headroom with the iPhone 4, but plenty when run from a desktop or even a decent laptop.

May 27, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #103 of 126
Thanks Wyd - if that's the case then the amp section on the A 200 p must be very dependent on the output voltage of the coupled device - as it has very little headroom with the iPhone 4, but plenty when run from a desktop or even a decent laptop.

Yeah

Did you unlock the volume limit on a mobile device by long pressing play/pause on the a200p?

May 28, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #104 of 126
Yep - tried.  Mine's not an EU crippled iPhone though - so it didn't seem to do anything.  Definitely didn't uncouple the volume control from the iPhone.  Was loud enough - just showed close to max with the DT880 (around 80%+).  Only issue was running highly dynamic music like classical.  Worked well with IEM's though 
wink.gif

May 28, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #105 of 126
Ah ok.

Agresd, I actually found the pairing with my Mentors to be spectacular.
With my Mad Dogs the lack of juice really started to show, however I think had it had more power it would be a nice pairing.

I did run mine at full volume out of the a200p into the e18 amp side as this was the only amp I had on hand at the time, but the double amping induced hiss (even on mad dogs) and the e18's amp isnt of the quality that the a200p dac is.  Not to mention double amping.

All in all though I was very impressed with it as a unit for portable listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back