01-30-16 Alum Rock Library Meet Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #16 of 47

Thanks for organizing DecentLevi and was great to meet you all. 

As always enjoyed the Senns, Staxs, Fostexs and Audezes but the two headphones struck to me were in the either spectrum in terms of cost ! One was the least expensive Bill-Ps modded Bluetooth Sony bluetooth headphone (think it is XB950) for $99 and the other was the most expensive HE 1000 for $2999 with Pico Power Amp.

Bill-P has done a darn good mod in his Sony headphone, IMO the headphone was a keeper for portable use especially for tub thumping EDMs, sounded way better than its league.

Peter from Headamp, another excellent guy helped me to audition Stax 009 and HE 1000, I am not new to Stax 009 so could see its greatness of utilizing the electrostatic signature aspects well but HE 1000 took it to the new level. Used various genres of my songs with various quality (FLAC, 320Kbps mp3, even 128 Kbps mp3) of songs from AK 240 Line out > Pico power Amp > HE 1000 setup. Not an official review but some quick impressions/subtle nuances of HE 1000,

-AK 240 could drive HE 1000 barely but adding Pico Power Amp tremendously helped overall so DO use an Amp though you might often hear it is very drivable right out of  a DAC
-In one word SQ is Mystical !! Uber Detailed yet very musical without being analytical and Forgiving yet without being colored to mask the bad recordings.. I know it is hard to believe :)
-Sub bass is very well done and creates a meaty layer of faint sub bass cushion throughout the song,  you can sort of feel the bass than hear the bass ! I think this helps in creating the refined feeling. Mid bass is very much present but not mid bass hump and the extra slam due to that.Very refined bass with quality and quantity.
-Instruments comes out with lot of depth and layers slightly ahead of the vocals in terms of volume level but it does not mean Mids or vocals are recessed at all, actually it increased the musicality of the songs pushing instruments bit forward without making it a V shaped
-OMG level of Treble clarity and micro details in upper/lower trebles, nice weight to it, no harshness whatsoever but never rolled off either, no edginess even if the songs are recorded poorly 
-Even my MP3 songs sounded refined, meaty, pleasant and detailed, it was like IRS .. squeezing every bit of detail my MP3 song had :)
-Very fast, thicker-fuller-refined-liquidly sounding, extremely detailed,reasonably harshness proofed, reasonably edginess proofed, musical, 3D SS.

Overall I hardly saw much weakness, you might have a quibble only if you are looking for a lesser sub bass, thinner sound and for a tighter punching mid hump friendly EDM songs. If you could get $3K from your 401K then go for this 1K !

Peace to you all

Jan 31, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #17 of 47
Thanks for organizing, Levi!

I spent most of the first half of the week talking to friends, but I got to do a bunch of listening in the afternoon once the room started to thin out a bit.

My favorite amps (other than the Pass HPA-1, Dynalo mk2 and Crack 2 I brought) had to be the Eddie Current Zana Deux and the Head Amp GSX mk2. They are two very different amps that do very different things but both do them exceptionally well.

I really liked listening to the HE-1000s again. They are one heck of a headphone, even if they are about 50% more expensive than they should be. If HiFiMan charged $1,995 (or less) for them they might have a hit.

I didn't much care for the Audeze headphones. They certainly hit harder reach down lower into the sub-bass region than the other flagships, but in most other respects I preferred the HD800s or HE-1000.

I'm already looking forward to another big HF meet this summer.

Jan 31, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #18 of 47
  Sure 'nuff this was a 'California meet'! 
rolleyes.gif
beyersmile.png

1. Every other member with an HD 5xx / 6xx  - heck yeah!
  2. "Hotel California" on minimum 2 rigs with at least 6 versions on one  -  representin!
  3. Coffee & especially donuts - mandatory!
  4. 'Beats' check at the door (well not really)
  5. Women on the sidelines but don't join too far (come on ladies, this is a good hobby too?!?)
  6. Very NON-Schiity gear abounds - on the real!
  7. Only one Orpheus argument - politeness rules!

Yup folks, that's how us west-side Head-Fi'ers roll! 

This one?

Jan 31, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #19 of 47
And a few more.

Jan 31, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #20 of 47
The highlight for me was @TMoney's Crack 2 paired with the HD650 or HD580/600. It takes the edge off recordings with potentially fatiguing treble, produces a sweet midrange, and satisfying lows. I had to dig pretty deep to find flaws (over-smearing in solo piano music, and it can't perform magic on poorly-mastered metal like my SR-007A setup).

Thanks @Bill-P for bringing all the modded headphones. I particularly enjoyed the barely-recognizable HD580. Also, I never heard a modded HD800 before, and the opportunity to compare to @Rainstar's stock HD800 was very informative. (FTR, I'm not sure which one I prefer.)

Thanks Peter from @HeadAmpTeam for letting me listen to the 007Mk1-BHSE rig until the very end of the meet while you were already packing up. :)

So much fun chatting with people and catching up.

@DecentLevi — thanks for putting this together!

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #21 of 47
Thanks for organizing, Levi!

I spent most of the first half of the week talking to friends, but I got to do a bunch of listening in the afternoon once the room started to thin out a bit.

My favorite amps (other than the Pass HPA-1, Dynalo mk2 and Crack 2 I brought) had to be the Eddie Current Zana Deux and the Head Amp GSX mk2. They are two very different amps that do very different things but both do them exceptionally well.

Yeah, before I got the Zana Deux Super I had been considering the GSX MK2 but never had any opportunity to audition one. I'd be very interested in your comparative listening notes.

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #22 of 47
Thanks to everyone I met, chatted with, and who allowed me to listen to their rigs.  And thanks to decentLevi for hosting.  

I haven't been to a headfi meet in many years - it was great to see a familiar scene, and to be greeted by my friend Peter, representing Team HeadAmp, right as I walked in :)  Overall, a fun meet, and it reminded me of the earlier days of headfi (~2003/2004). The force is strong with this hobby :)   

I came in curious to hear the Chord HUGO and MOJO, especially as compared to directly plugging into a MBP or iphone.  I also wanted to conduct more extended listenings to the Audeze, Stax, HiFiman, and HD800 gear and related equipment.  

Thanks again to Peter/Headamp and Jazzfan for allowing this to happen.  

Most of my high end listening experience is in combination with HE90/HEV90 (orpheus); I owned this combo for many years (in fact, 2 of them at some point - and they sounded different); HD600/650 with various balanced amps, and my etymotic ER4's.  I've owned various headphones, sources, and amps over the years but those phones represent the sound signature I tend to gravitate towards.  For example, I used to own an AT L3000, but I didn't like their warm lower mid-forward presentation.  I have also spent a good amount of time over the last 15 years recording and mixing records at various studios (www.airshiplaboratories.com is my current spot). 

Having said all this, which, outside my own head, probably means very little to everyone else - I will say the highlight of the meet to me was hearing the HE1000's.  I usually like to conduct a rather fast round robin of headphone listening - about 30 seconds for each can, and then switching to another phone driven by the same electronics.  This activates a sort of 'working memory' a non intellectual visceral feeling of the sound.  What usually happens is I will naturally gravitate to a certain sound signature from the lot -- or phones with a similar one.  This usually represents the way in which I like the sound reproduced.  It's usually based on the headphones present, but sometimes I'll reject all of them - but usually my ears work with whats available and calibrates to that for its 'working memory'.  Having done this with HE1K, Stax 009, Stax SR-007 (OII MK2), Audeze LCD-3 -- I immediately gravitated towards the HE1K's. Going to any other phone from those emphasized weaknesses in those phones to me.  

Compared to the HE1K on the Headamp Rig:
009: Clean and Clear, but with a sort of disjointed representation between the bottom, middle, and top end.  It's very revealing, and while this analytical nature let me hear into the music and textural representation on a macro and micro level very well, I could also seemingly hear a disjointedness between the big 3 frequency ranges as humans we are most sensitive to.  I find good headphones allow us to get out of the way of the music, and not pick it apart .. unless we want to. The stax seemed to invite this level of discernment, and I didn't feel as 'wowed' by the immediate impact and feel of the sound -- as compared to the HE1K especially.  Lastly, concerning this comparison, I felt the Stax had the 'usual' Electrostatic bass - which is clean and fast and not necessarily very weighted or impactful.  This was noticeable in comparison to the HE which had more of a dynamic headphone representation - or at least split the difference a bit, in that it delivered more solid and tactile low-end.

Compared to the SR-007:
I like this headphone.  It's not as extended as the 009, or as detailed, but it has a more contiguous presentation which pulls you into the music, and not the analysis, more to me.  It also tries to combat some of the 'intellectual bass' of many electrostats with a more meaty reproduction.  It's definitely the stat with the best and most fun bass - and its not necessarily all that dishonest about how it sounds from a reference perspective... I have mixed recordings with the OII's before, and other engineers I know use them as well.  They can translate pretty well once you are familiar with how they in turn translate your raw audio.

Compared to the LCD-3 (with Fazor elements/foam):  
To me I've always wanted to like this headphone, and its the phone I hear most casually recommended to me.  Unfortunately its the one I usually can't stand the quickest.  Compared especially to the HE1K, I noticed a hollowness in the upper midrange, a sound I usually try to EQ out of my own recordings.  This exists somewhere between 950hz and 2300khz.  The positive side is that it tends to convey more energy in this band, which is the area, as humans we are extremely sensitive to.  But its just not right to me.  Hihats, snare decays, certain aspects of vocals.. they sounded hollow, or exaggerated in a way in this range.  Some people may be able to alter this sound with tubes, and certain source material may not convey this - classical, EDM.  But rock and pop definitely had these elements in excess to my ears.  

HE1K themselves:  
These headphones are very comfortable and remind me of the Orpheus the most - both in terms of their velvety earpads, and relaxing feeling on the head.  They are BIG headphones, and somebody else had questions as to weather it would sit on his head properly. Fortunately at the lowest setting, he didn't have issues.  They don't sit loose, but they do have a lightness to them.  In terms of sound, they do seem to have a somewhat U shaped signature like Senn 600/650's, and many other popular headphones.  There are many reasons headphones with a bit of this sound good, but I tend to mix this way a bit myself.  That doesn't mean the midrange is necessarily recessed at all, frequency and amplitude are different things - albeit very related (more than just an X/Y access relationship, human psychoacoustic perception will also make certain frequencies seem louder).  These headphones sparkle on top, with a brilliant and extended treble.  Like the 009, but with a much more cohesive sound to me.  The lower bass is more palpable and seems to envelope the listener.  The entire U shaped reproduction cushions the sound around the midrange which is natural and very clear.  As other reviewers have stated before, this is a headphone where you might find yourself pushing up the volume into much louder territories than normal and not necessarily even notice.  This may be because of the low distortion/hollowness in the midrange as well as the low's and high's.  We tend to pull the volume to a level that is most comfortable for us, and this usually means we stop once we start noticing some aspect of the recording that is peaking out at us and causing greater ear-based intermodulatory distortion - and hence discomfort.  These headphones, similar to the 600/650's do this very well, in that, they seem to produce, FOR ME, a much less fatiguing overall presentation to my ear - and similar in feel (if not necessarily in overall sound), to the Orpheus.  And this is the highest praise I can give to a headphone.  

===

The other item was the chord MOJO.  I hate carrying around extra stuff with me, and the idea of my phone + IEM when on the road is very attractive.  Couple this with the fact that I use IEM's in the studio, and the feeling of being able to work with a very similar sonic signature to what I am listening to casually is great.  The chord could be added as one way to homogenize this by adding this dac to my playback system at the studio and well as on the road.  So does it sound better to me? The answer with various combinations of headphones, and from plugging directly into the MBP (2011), directly into the MOJO, from the MOJO as a dac into another amp... was that in all cases the Mojo, especially in the midrange presence and clarity as well as transient speed and attack, was much much better.  The Apple products seem to have a certain euphonic but darker and veiled lower midrange which makes casual listening nice but also buries retrieval and liveliness in this important frequency range.  The mojo keeps the euphonic laid back sound signature, but brightens up the mid range and unveils that spectrum in a very pleasing way.  Very nice!  I didn't compare the Hugo to the Mojo directly, but they did similar things, with perhaps more bass weight on the Hugo and a slightly larger sound.  

Neil

Jan 31, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #23 of 47
Big thanks to @DecentLevi - he coordinated not only this event but the last SF one at MassDrop!

Also to all those who brought gear to share, and ideas to share, its fun hobby and keeps us out of jail. 

Glad the reps were there too - Headroom? Noble? The Blue Hawaii was like floating carefree on a raft away from Maui
into the middle of the Pacific with the Sun as the speaker beaming down on me.

Whoever brought the Pass Labs HA, that was a treat ... the bass from that thing ... so seductive. 

Glad I got to hear the newer Fostex again, TH-X00, with the Burson Virtuoso.
The Virtuoso brings the TH-X00 up to the level of the TH900s IMO. 

Always appreciate the players that bring their STAX HPs with big, heavy electrostatic amps. Always a treat. 

And the modders bring fresh ideas for HPs, amps, computers, etc

Unfortunately, I didnt get to spend any time with the Crack Speedball Sex. 

The Mojo gave me some grain with my TH-900s. But I need to do another listen with it to make sure it wasn't due to the file or the amp.
I was just expecting a bit more from her.

In the end, I was most excited about hearing the HiFiMan H-1000s; and the HiFiMan EF-6s in particular with the vintage Macintosh 4100 receiver:
Wow, so balanced and effortless and natural sounding!

The H-1000s were extraordinary, and not consistent with many reports on the forums that the HE-Xs are superior in some ways. 

See some of you at SoCal CanJam!
Gary

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #24 of 47
NA Blur's Pics

I have numbered the photos so if you want to claim who is in them please do via their number.

Charlie Groovin' to some HD650s and the Eddie Current Zana Deux

A closeup shot of the Zana Deux

Jay enjoying his Fostex TH-X00 at NA Blur's rig

Stack-o-cans and a custom amp and power supply ( bottom left )

A classic pairing the HD800 ( top ) and the Burson ( amp )

Bill's old-school meets new-school setup

Jazzfan's iFi Micro iDSD

Someone enjoys the HD800 with the Pass Labs HPA-1

Jazz fan's setup

General room setup

Bottlehead ( far right ) and cookies ( left )

Gotta bring your own music to these things

Xu standing by rack-mounted rig

Dave E. ( left-front ) and Packdemon ( right-front )

Vali 2 ( far left ), HE-400s, AKG K7xx, LCD-3, HD800 and some others

Packdemon's setup and he also had a JDS Labs Element not shown
https://www.jdslabs.com/products/151/the-element/

Levi'a tube amp

NA Blur posing at Levi's rig

Vali 2 stacked on top of the Modi 2 ( these are both tiny )

Peter ( left )  talking shop with some friends who don the HE-1000 ( middle ) and Stax SR-009 ( right )

NA Blur talking with a walk-in

The back of someone's Schiit Rag and Yggi ( thanks again for comparing the Yggi to the Bifrost 4490 )

Ah the beauty of tubes ( Levi's rig )

Some noise cancelling gear from Audio Technica

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #25 of 47
  Yeah the ATH-R70X with M903 DAC / amp combo was a hi-z can in a dimension all of it's own! While the bass wasn't upfront it was represented in a very organic way, with mids that are as lush and vivid as a first kiss as well as the highs - packing excellent yet cohesive instrument separation & detail.

Compared to an HD 650 the stage on the R70X seemed taller yet equally large and better detail, but the 650 won with bess definition

First, a huge special thanks to DecentLevi for reserving the room and putting the event on. The venue was perfect and very welcoming.

Second, a big thanks to all who brought gear and hauled around their own personal collections. It would not have been the same without you all!

Lastly, thanks to everyone for coming and checking out the room. Hopefully you found something worth listening to and met some new people.

Personally I had a blast and cannot wait to do it again in the near future.

Upon first listen I did not fully appreciate the ATH-R70x during my initial review, but boy did it receive some serious props at the meet. Due to its very high impedance ( 1000 Ohms ) at the peak of the fundamental, I ran the BUDA on high gain for listeners who wanted to hear it over the m903. It sounds great from both amps, but the BUDA is slightly bassier and allows for better output impedance matching.

I was also surprised when one member said that the HE-400i sounds pretty close to the STAX SR-009 he was running. I agree the HE-400i is a very competent headphone.

I'll add the meet impressions of the ATH-R70x to my review.

Jan 31, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #26 of 47
@Rainstar and the other owner of the Fostex TH-X00 here's a useful discovery that was recently revealed about upping the performance of the TH-X00 if you want to try it. (see following post on swapping pads - also note that even if you don't have pads from a specific headphone, these can be ordered separately often from the manufacurer)

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #27 of 47

Dave E. ( left-front ) and the mod-man ( right-front )

Mod-man's setup ( did not catch his name ) He also had a JDS Labs Element not shown
https://www.jdslabs.com/products/151/the-element/

The modified closed-backed beyer line up (and m-50) was my setup. My custom One Pro with T1 driver also wasn't in the second pictures.

Feb 1, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #30 of 47
  NA Blur's Pics

Someone's iFi ICAN

Jazz fan's setup

#7 (iFi micro iDSD) and #9 were both pics of system. Thanks for taking the pics, thanks to everyone who stopped by to listen to my rig, and of course a big thanks to DecentLevi for organizing the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back