Instructions regarding the installation of USB DAC driver on the X3 1st gen
Sep 16, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #62 of 70
Hey guys! Anyone encountering an issue similar to this when installing USB DAC drivers on a clean Windows 10 build, I have the solution! 

If your error is similar to:

------------------------------------------------------------
Installation.
------------------------------------------------------------
Adding uninstallation support ...
Create folder: C:\Program Files\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_Driver
Create folder: C:\Program Files\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_Driver
Created uninstaller: C:\Program Files\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_Driver\uninstall.exe
Copy to C:\Program Files\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_Driver\setup.ini
Output folder: C:\Program Files\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_Driver
Copy to C:\Program Files\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_Driver\tusbaudio.inf
Copy to C:\Program Files\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_Driver\tusbaudioks.inf
Copy to C:\Program Files\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_Driver\tusbaudio_x64.sys
Copy to C:\Program Files\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_Driver\tusbaudioks_x64.sys
Copy to C:\Program Files\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_Driver\tusbaudio.cat
Copy to C:\Program Files\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_Driver\tusbaudioks.cat
Copy to C:\Program Files\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_Driver\tusbaudioasio.dll
Copy to C:\Program Files\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_Driver\tusbaudioasio_x64.dll
Copy to C:\Program Files\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_Driver\tusbaudioapi.dll
Copy to C:\Program Files\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_Driver\custom.ini
Copy to C:\Program Files\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudioSpy.exe
Copy to C:\Program Files\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_Driver\TUSBAudioCpl.exe
Execute: regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_Driver\tusbaudioasio.dll"
Execute: regsvr32 /s "C:\Program Files\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_Driver\tusbaudioasio_x64.dll"
Create shortcut: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Thesycon\TUSBAudio Driver\TUSBAudio Control Panel.lnk
Create shortcut: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\TUSBAudio Control Panel Autostart.lnk
Preinstalling drivers.
This may take some time to complete. Please wait ...

ERROR: Pre-installation of 'C:\Program Files\Thesycon\TUSBAudio_Driver\tusbaudioks.inf' failed.
Please run setup again!

==============================
Installation failed.
==============================

It's because Windows doesn't allow the installation of unverified drivers. You can change that by doing this:

Go to restart your computer, but before hitting the restart button (in the start menu of Windows NOT on your computer) make sure to hold SHIFT. Then when your machine is rebooting, spam F8, it'll give you advanced option at a cyan screen. Navigate to finding disabling the feature that disallows the installation of verified drivers (should be option 7). Hit that, let your machine boot, and install your drivers!

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #63 of 70
It's ludicrous that we are expected to use unsigned drivers to be able to use the DAC functionality of the X3. One of the reasons I bought the X3 was because of the DAC function but I won't put a deliberate security breach into my system just to be able to use it as such. It's about time FiiO showed support for their customers and supplied us with a signed driver. There is a reason why Microsoft prevent the installation of unsigned drivers and also put a Test Mode stamp in the bottom right of the screen if you disable it. It's there to remind you, you're system is not a secure as it should be.

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #64 of 70
The unsigned driver issue is a challenge.  I installed the drivers on a new notebook and ran into an issue with Bitlocker.  Basically Bitlocker inserted itself into the pathway to allow unsigned drivers on to the machine; so I could not install the unsigned drivers until Bitlocker was turned off.   That took longer than anticipated though it was doable.

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #65 of 70
I hate the fact that we need to turn off driver signing before we can use a Fiio device with a PC.
Driver signing is one of the protection mechanisms against malware and system abuse.
What is the issue with getting some signed drivers from Fiio?
Other vendors supply signed drivers. Why doesn't Fiio?

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #69 of 70
Hmmm. Maybe fun and games with device manager is needed. It probably shows up there as unrecognized. Try leaving it plugged in, uninstall it, then run a scan for new devices

I would suggest using storage mode

What firmware rev are you on? Maybe try 1.4 and also a later revision

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #70 of 70
Hmmm. Maybe fun and games with device manager is needed. It probably shows up there as unrecognized. Try leaving it plugged in, uninstall it, then run a scan for new devices

I would suggest using storage mode

What firmware rev are you on? Maybe try 1.4 and also a later revision

Problem solved, just had to swap onto another micro USB cable. thanks for the help though!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back