Instructions regarding the installation of USB DAC driver on the X3 1st gen
Dec 11, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #16 of 70
Well, it ain't workin' for me.  I installed the new firmware, and it does register as DAC under settings when I switch from Storage.  Then, when I plug the X3 into my Windows 7 HP laptop, am I supposed to see some sort of interaction between the laptop and the X3?  Nothing pops up on the laptop screen.  I reinstalled everything a few times, but still nothing happens when attaching to my laptop.  HELP....and thank you!

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #17 of 70
The new firmware and the USB DAC function is simply awesome!
Thanks a lot Fiio!

I really appreciate a company that listen to customer's feedback and improve their product!  Kudos to Fiio!

Now waiting for my FiioE12DIY to arrive to be paired with my X3 :D

(Also waiting for Fiio X5 :D )

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #18 of 70
Thank you very much for adding the DAC capability to the X3. BTW it was this feature being added that finally got me to buy an X3.
I just did the firmware update to 2.05, it seemed to go okay. Although DAC did not automatically become the default USB mode, it was an option, and the FW is shown as 2.05.
Running the 64 bit version of Win 8, I installed the drivers after allowing unsigned drivers, which finished saying they were successfully installed.
However the X3 does not appear in the list of playback devices, just the speakers.
Unplugging and changing to another USB port makes no difference, nor does rebooting the X3.
Any help available ?

Dec 20, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #19 of 70
Update:
I got it working, after everything described below I gave up and stabbed the X3 reset. It reverted to 44KHz/24bits
in the LCD and started playing, now shows 192KHz/24bits and still plays !

Okay got a little further. Windows reported one problem as the X3 was not USB 3.0 compatible, and suggested moving to a 2.0 port which cleared that error. Another problem was being reported as an incorrect hash in the driver & windows kept disabling it.
I needed to turn the signed driver checking off again and then tell device manager to update the X3 driver from files on my computer.
I can now select the X3 or the speakers on the playback devices box.
However while the little sound level bars show music is playing that should be going to the X3, there is no sound coming from the X3.It is in Dac Mode and the audio is turned up enough I can here it okay in normal mode.
When I turn the X3 on or off, or unplug the USB cable the computer sees this and removes the X3 option from playback devices,or adds it back.
But no sound output from the X3 BTW this computer worked fine with an E10.
Any suggestions or help ?

P.S. I can start a song playing w/ windows media player and hear nothing from the X3, then unplug the USB cable and the laptop's internal speakers come on. When the USB cable is plugged back in, the speakers again go silent as they should.

P.S.2 Following another X3 DAC update thread on here, per post 91 of 100 I was able to select the X3 properties in the PC control panel and change them to 192/24, which caused the X3's LCD to reflect the same setting (was 44/24). So they are connected correctly and talking, but no sound comes from the X3 in DAC mode using windows, AIMP3 or VLC.

Dec 21, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #20 of 70
I have succesfully updated the firmware to 2.1 and installed the USB DAC Driver.

My computer is running windows 8.1 it showed the x3 player when plugging in to laptop after updating firmware. But after installing TUSB Audio Driver exactly as desribed in this guide in the Opening Post and it showing as it has installed succesfully, It won't show the X3 anymore under This PC

Now when I plug the X3 in via USB it shows a screen saying 44khz/24bits and Vol Bass treble etc settings.on the X3

Nothing shows in my control panel under This PC in Windows 8.1 now, the only way I can get to play music on the x3 is to hold the back button which disconnects the device from TUSB Audio control panel and the speakers showing FIIO X3 as the default device when you right click the speaker icon in the bottom right hand of windows disappears as well.

Unless I can get it show up in This PC as Fiio X3 as it did before firmware update. I can't see anyway I can get it to play music through my ASUS laptop.......

Using the Windows find and fix problems with hardware and devices makes no difference either in finding the x3?

Any ideas to what I have done wrong please? as it does seem to have installed firmware and TUSB Audio as well, it just seems it doesn't find the X3 anymore on my laptop.......

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:42 AM Post #21 of 70
  I have succesfully updated the firmware to 2.1 and installed the USB DAC Driver.

My computer is running windows 8.1 it showed the x3 player when plugging in to laptop after updating firmware. But after installing TUSB Audio Driver exactly as desribed in this guide in the Opening Post and it showing as it has installed succesfully, It won't show the X3 anymore under This PC

Now when I plug the X3 in via USB it shows a screen saying 44khz/24bits and Vol Bass treble etc settings.on the X3

Nothing shows in my control panel under This PC in Windows 8.1 now, the only way I can get to play music on the x3 is to hold the back button which disconnects the device from TUSB Audio control panel and the speakers showing FIIO X3 as the default device when you right click the speaker icon in the bottom right hand of windows disappears as well.

Unless I can get it show up in This PC as Fiio X3 as it did before firmware update. I can't see anyway I can get it to play music through my ASUS laptop.......

Using the Windows find and fix problems with hardware and devices makes no difference either in finding the x3?

Any ideas to what I have done wrong please? as it does seem to have installed firmware and TUSB Audio as well, it just seems it doesn't find the X3 anymore on my laptop.......

In addition to my original post the Fiio X3 now shows up in Device Manager under Sound Video and Game Controllers and also a seperate one Thesycon USB 2.0 Audio Devices (right clicking on this) shows

General Tab Says This device is working properly.
Events Tab in info says 
Device USB\VID_2972&PID_0001\0007 was configured.
Driver Name: usb.inf
Class Guid: {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006

So I can't understand why I can't actually see the X3 displayed under This PC on my laptop to enable me to access the music on my Micro SD card.

Anyone else had this problem and solved it?

Thanks for any help

Dec 22, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #22 of 70
  In addition to my original post the Fiio X3 now shows up in Device Manager under Sound Video and Game Controllers and also a seperate one Thesycon USB 2.0 Audio Devices (right clicking on this) shows

General Tab Says This device is working properly.
Events Tab in info says 
Device USB\VID_2972&PID_0001\0007 was configured.
Driver Name: usb.inf
Class Guid: {36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006

So I can't understand why I can't actually see the X3 displayed under This PC on my laptop to enable me to access the music on my Micro SD card.

Anyone else had this problem and solved it?

Thanks for any help

This section is about playing music from your PC through your X3 (broadly speaking). I think that you are trying to do it the other way around. In that case, on your X3, go into "System Setting" and change "USB Mode" to "Storage". You probably have it on "DAC" which is incorrect for what I think you are trying to do.

Dec 22, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #23 of 70
  This section is about playing music from your PC through your X3 (broadly speaking). I think that you are trying to do it the other way around. In that case, on your X3, go into "System Setting" and change "USB Mode" to "Storage". You probably have it on "DAC" which is incorrect for what I think you are trying to do.

Apologies, it was my confusion, I assumed it would appear in This PC on my laptop.

Anyway I still can't get it to work, did a system restore and uninstalled Thesycon to get a fresh start.

Installed it again on my Windows 8.1 Laptop and installed Foobar my understanding that should be enough to get it work through my laptop?

Done a couple of Print Screen but I am unable to post them yet.

Basically they show Speakers Fiio X3 ticked as default speaker, and then the volume mixer for Speakers Fiio X3 shows a green bar going up and down to show that the track is playing 

But getting no sound when X3 is attached by USB to laptop from a track playing directly from the laptops HDD , through Foobar as well as POTPlayer although both players indicates the music is playing from the display bars in them, but absolutely no sound coming through.

Sorry for earlier confusion, but hopefully have explained myself better this time?

Dec 22, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #25 of 70
Got it sorted now. It seems my problem was although TUSB Audio was installed, it wasn't associating it with my music files. Did a right click and associated music  files with the TUSB Audio exe. They all have got a nice little red T by the side of them now and play through my X3 using foobar at 192khz/24bits fine. Not sure if this is a common problem or even the correct solution. but it is working for me....... 

But if a little screen print in the instructions if what I have done is correct showing the red T against a file, would have saved me 24 hours of frustration, trying to work it out. Because the TUSB Audio package certainly for me didn't do this automatically when unpackaging it. As I say not sure if what I have done is the right thing, but it certainly has got it working now.......

Dec 23, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #26 of 70
Mine did pretty much everything you described, but no music from the laptop (via usb) would actually be output from the X3 headphone jack until I pressed reset (small hole on top edge) on the X3.
FWIW

Jan 3, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #27 of 70
  Got it sorted now. It seems my problem was although TUSB Audio was installed, it wasn't associating it with my music files. Did a right click and associated music  files with the TUSB Audio exe. They all have got a nice little red T by the side of them now and play through my X3 using foobar at 192khz/24bits fine. Not sure if this is a common problem or even the correct solution. but it is working for me....... 

But if a little screen print in the instructions if what I have done is correct showing the red T against a file, would have saved me 24 hours of frustration, trying to work it out. Because the TUSB Audio package certainly for me didn't do this automatically when unpackaging it. As I say not sure if what I have done is the right thing, but it certainly has got it working now.......

Could you please explain this in greater detail. I have been experiencing the same issue as yourself however, I am unsure as to exactly what you did to solve it.
What exactly did you right click?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:26 AM Post #29 of 70

Could you please explain this in greater detail. I have been experiencing the same issue as yourself however, I am unsure as to exactly what you did to solve it.
What exactly did you right click?
Any help would be much appreciated.

As I said this worked for me, can't say if it is the correct solution though. Installed everything as per opening post of this thread. Then did this to get it finally working

I use windows 8.1 also so different windows version may have slightly different navigation procedures

I right clicked on any one of my Flac tracks on my laptop and clicked on "Open With" this gave me a selection of programmes to associate with my music tracks. TUSB didn't appear on the menu choices so clicked
"choose default programme"
then "more options"
then "look for another app on this PC" then in new window that pops open navigated via to the folder that I had downloaded X3 new firmware to (X3_FW2.1_EN) , opened up the folder within it (in my case) USB_AUDIO20_Windows_Driver clicked on tusbaudiocpl.exe and clicked open. It all started working for me after that

All my music files then proceeded to have a nice big Red T next to them and play fine when I right click track(s) to play through foobar from music already on my PC or micro sd card from fiio x3 inserted into to the PC sd card slot, it shows 192/24 on x3 display when connected to the PC and music coming through iem's. Very happy with it.

As said this is my workaround I had to do. But FIIO or someone else may advise you of a better or the correct way of doing it if it doesn't install properly like mine did originally hopefully.

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #30 of 70
hi. I have purchased the X3 and I enjoy its sound. However, when I try to install the software, it keeps saying pre-installation failure (as pictured) and my x3 flashes through the dac mode then returns to menu screen once more. I am pretty sure that my X3 is fine because it works with my friends mac. Any suggestions?

anyways, either my computer cannot recognize my x3 or my x3 cannot recognize my computer. I am quite desperate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back