「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jan 15, 2017 at 7:40 AM Post #171,811 of 177,744
Nope, for a 6 oz glass or so.

For a "once in a lifetime" thing that's okay then, not toooooo horrible for 6 oz, I would have been pretty salty if that was for a double. Besides, we all have to start somewhere, and I suppose you could do a lot worse than Hibiki 21. XD

I know this is the AAMML thread and we have a thing for Japanese goods, but please please please don't overspend on Japanese whiskies, they have been getting extremely expensive as of late and I'm afraid the asking price today for Japanese whiskies does not correlate well to the quality of the product in the bottle.

This is a slight exaggeration but it's kind of like the Beats headphones of the whisky world....not that there's anything wrong with that, it is a very successful product after all. 
tongue.gif

Have you tried a Gin & Tonic? That's probably the only thing I'd order at a bar/restaurant/club because the markup on whisky is too high.

Hmmm and on that topic... Springbank 15 Green, an excellent whisky.

8.5 - Auchentoshan 1975
8.0 - Auchentoshan Valinch, Balvenie 15 Single Barrel, Springbank 15 Green
7.5 - Bunnahabhain 12, Glendronach Revival 15, Mortlach 22(indie)
7.0 - Aberlour a'bunadh, Ardbeg 10, Bruichladdich 10yo, Lagavulin 16, Lagavulin DE 2014
6.5 - Acnoc 12, Ardmore DE, Bruichladdich Octomore 5.1, Dalwhinnie 15, Highland Park 12, Hibiki 17, Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Laphroaig 18
6.0 - Caol Ila Distillers Edition, Glenfarclas 105, Glenmorangie Original, Laphroaig 10, Macallan Sherry Oak 12, Yamazaki 12
5.0 - Auchentoshan Classic/Springwood, Caol Ila 12, Glenfiddich Solera 15yo, Macallan Fine Oak 12, Talisker 10
4.0 - Auchentoshan 11(indie), Glenfiddich 12, Glenlivet 12, Talisker Storm

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #171,812 of 177,744

8.5 - Auchentoshan 1975
8.0 - Auchentoshan Valinch, Balvenie 15 Single Barrel, Springbank 15 Green
7.5 - Bunnahabhain 12, Glendronach Revival 15, Mortlach 22(indie)
7.0 - Aberlour a'bunadh, Ardbeg 10, Bruichladdich 10yo, Lagavulin 16, Lagavulin DE 2014
6.5 - Acnoc 12, Ardmore DE, Bruichladdich Octomore 5.1, Dalwhinnie 15, Highland Park 12, Hibiki 17, Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Laphroaig 18
6.0 - Caol Ila Distillers Edition, Glenfarclas 105, Glenmorangie Original, Laphroaig 10, Macallan Sherry Oak 12, Yamazaki 12
5.0 - Auchentoshan Classic/Springwood, Caol Ila 12, Glenfiddich Solera 15yo, Macallan Fine Oak 12, Talisker 10
4.0 - Auchentoshan 11(indie), Glenfiddich 12, Glenlivet 12, Talisker Storm

I rather like Caol Ila 12. I bought it in Luxembourg for less than 30 euros, and I think it's the best value whisky I ever bought.

I also agree on the Japanese whiskies. Even in Japan they were more expensive that Scottish whiskies of similar quality, and outside of Japan you really need to get a good deal for it to be worth it. At about 45 euro per bottle, I think Nikka Coffey malt/grain are worth it, as is Taketsuru. But most Suntory whiskies have ridiculous prices in Europe.

Jan 15, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #171,813 of 177,744
First time going to a club, and a gay bar in one morning.

Don't plan to go to one again any time in the next decade or two, so I went full YOLO. I could have either spent money on something I don't know about and hope it tastes good, get wasted on cheap stuff, or indulge on something with high reputability while enjoying it sip by sip.

Apparently this is the barista's favorite drink too, so there's that. My wallet already seriously regrets it, but it was so good for when it lasted; this stuff is out of this world.

Holy schiit. That's basically a whole ATH-M50X + next day courier worth of whiskey.

Jan 15, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #171,816 of 177,744
For a "once in a lifetime" thing that's okay then, not toooooo horrible for 6 oz, I would have been pretty salty if that was for a double. Besides, we all have to start somewhere, and I suppose you could do a lot worse than Hibiki 21. XD

I know this is the AAMML thread and we have a thing for Japanese goods, but please please please don't overspend on Japanese whiskies, they have been getting extremely expensive as of late and I'm afraid the asking price today for Japanese whiskies does not correlate well to the quality of the product in the bottle.

This is a slight exaggeration but it's kind of like the Beats headphones of the whisky world....not that there's anything wrong with that, it is a very successful product after all. :p

Have you tried a Gin & Tonic? That's probably the only thing I'd order at a bar/restaurant/club because the markup on whisky is too high.

I was more salty on the automatically tacked-on 18% gratuity. The bartender lady was nice to me and all, but all she did was pour from the bottle; no fancy cocktail mixing needed. XD

Beats of the whiskey world eh? Now you tell me. : p
At least it tasted good, and left a good impression on me. For the few whiskeys I've tried that my dad has, the 21 was definitely way different in a good way. I absolutely did not expect that kind of sweet/smooth flavor from a whiskey.

I'll likely do the gin and tonic in the future, assuming I opt for a drink (see below), but I haven't had that before.

Holy schiit. That's basically a whole ATH-M50X + next day courier worth of whiskey.

That's one way to look at it. XD

I think the most I've ever spent on drinks in one night was when I went to some bar in Asakusa for new year 2014-2015 with B-Dawk, and that was still less than half of that bill.

Well I seldom go out to drink (actually the only time I ever buy alcohol is with other folks in a Head-Fi after meet, and even then it's just a beer), or party at all, so it was a splurge YOLO moment for me. I don't have any plans to buy whiskey or the sorts any time in the near future anyway, so it was worth the try to me. The AAMML crew talked of Hibiki a lot, and I was thinking go big or go home with the choice between Harmony, 12, or 21. I probably would have regretted either not trying the 21 as I don't find myself being near a bottle of that whiskey any time in the foreseeable future, or my wallet after trying the 21. lol

Jan 15, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #171,817 of 177,744
The AAMML crew talked of Hibiki a lot, and I was thinking go big or go home with the choice between Harmony, 12, or 21. I probably would have regretted either not trying the 21 as I don't find myself being near a bottle of that whiskey any time in the foreseeable future, or my wallet after trying the 21. lol

I've seen the Harmony in a few shops here in Switzerland, cheapest I've seen it for is 139 franks, which is way, way beyond my budget.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #171,820 of 177,744
c895ea334711.jpg

(The movie is Monster Trucks. It costed $125 mln, earned $10 and made the -now former- president of Paramount lost his job because it was his idea he got after he saw his 4yo son playing with toy cars)

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #171,821 of 177,744
c895ea334711.jpg

(The movie is Monster Trucks. It costed $125 mln, earned $10 and made the -now former- president of Paramount lost his job because it was his idea he got after he saw his 4yo son playing with toy cars)

Ouch.

;-;

---------------

First day of school. Of course I set my alarm to PM instead of AM and overslept past the orientation... ;-;

I didn't need it, but I wanted the free coffee...

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #171,822 of 177,744
Holy cow. That's crazy. Does Switzerland have really high import taxes or something?

Well the Swiss frank is a bit overvalued right now -- everything here is more expensive than it should be if you convert prices to other currencies. Other whiskies seem to be more expensive than in surrounding countries by like 30-40%, which I suppose is not too crazy. In any case I rarely buy hard liquor in Switzerland, but go to France instead since the border is literally at walking distance from my home.

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #171,823 of 177,744
Oh wow. Wanted to try out this PaySafeCard thing (a prepaid, common in Europe). Bought it, added funds to my GOG account... and realized VA-11 Hall-A is more expensive than I remember (still less than the normal price on Steam, at least after converting to PLN, which I can use on GOG). Decided to browse the store and see what's there. Saw something being 75% off in a weeklong promo that I remember being good, browsed more, decided to checkout...

The promo ended while I was browsing other games. GG to me.

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #171,824 of 177,744
  Oh wow. Wanted to try out this PaySafeCard thing (a prepaid, common in Europe). Bought it, added funds to my GOG account... and realized VA-11 Hall-A is more expensive than I remember (still less than the normal price on Steam, at least after converting to PLN, which I can use on GOG). Decided to browse the store and see what's there. Saw something being 75% off in a weeklong promo that I remember being good, browsed more, decided to checkout...

The promo ended while I was browsing other games. GG to me.

Buy VA-11 Hall-A!
Not just you, everyone here should!
:frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back