「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jan 2, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #171,301 of 177,745
Yeah. Had to bring 2 of them back. One for my mom and one for my aunt. Apparently they make tea taste better. 

I hear this too. However, after much experimentation I discovered that you can make really good tea in a french press -- and it's much more convenient that other methods too. Easy to drain the tea out of the pot, and easy to clean afterwards. Great taste too.

I mean, you a graduate and all that. No real reason not too :D

No real reason? What about money? What about the fact that you probably don't need a gaming PC?
Then again, you can get something pretty decent for a couple hundred dollars if you play things right. Especially since you've probably still got a case and hard drives lying around. Just need GPU, CPU and mobo. Spend like $200 each on the former two, $100 on the latter and I think you've got a pretty decent system going on by my low standards.

Jan 2, 2017 at 4:23 AM Post #171,302 of 177,745

Was it good though? I didn't watch it (back when S1 came out) since the synopsis didn't really interest me. I'll give it a shot though if it's good.

I enjoyed it. Enough to buy merch at least. It's pretty yuri bait. Kyoto-animation animation standards during the dramatic scenes. Music is pretty nice too.

S1 was more...fleshed out in terms of story. S2 felt like a drama fest, but we stayed cuz we loved best grills. 

Jan 2, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #171,305 of 177,745

Found on the vega site, not sure what some of these sentences mean but BIG NUMBERS BIG POWER.

Quote:
  I might get an AMD card later to run a gaming virtual machine... to play Nier: Automata
biggrin.gif

Hopefully the polaris cards will get a slight price drop after the vega cards comes out.

this is one of the things I love about having a virtualized datacenter, you can have as many "computers" as you want given the total computing resources don't exceed the host machine.

I thought you used nvidia?

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #171,308 of 177,745
  That's that they said about HBM with the Fury line and the big numbers ended up giving little power...

;-;

I mean if you were expecting exponential increases in memory bandwidth and speed leading to exponential increases in GPU overall performance you must have been smoking something.

IIRC Fiji wasn't exactly that different design wise from the previous GCN cards. It was just bigger die (partly due to HBM and partly due to just jacking up the number of shaders) with a few low level changes although many were aimed at HSA (and APU's specifically although for a desktop card there's little reason to care; kind of just demoing their APU vision). The only big change I remember was something about changing the way how tesselation and geometry is processed which should have given a decent performance boost over the 200 series cards (the Fury cards were pretty decent but I don't remember it holding with the previous gen Titan though; it usually sat between the 980 Ti and Titan or below both).

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #171,309 of 177,745

Found on the vega site, not sure what some of these sentences mean but BIG NUMBERS BIG POWER.

I thought you used nvidia?

so efficiency, much bandwidth, very capacity, doge.jpg
(what I see in my head lol)

I liked nvidia but their consumer cards don't play well with virtual machines
they have an enterprise lineup for that which is 10x the price, I'm not gonna pay that much for a firmware unlock and slightly better QC.

Jan 2, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #171,310 of 177,745

I mean if you were expecting exponential increases in memory bandwidth and speed leading to exponential increases in GPU overall performance you must have been smoking something.

IIRC Fiji wasn't exactly that different design wise from the previous GCN cards. It was just bigger die (partly due to HBM and partly due to just jacking up the number of shaders) with a few low level changes although many were aimed at HSA (and APU's specifically although for a desktop card there's little reason to care; kind of just demoing their APU vision). The only big change I remember was something about changing the way how tesselation and geometry is processed which should have given a decent performance boost over the 200 series cards (the Fury cards were pretty decent but I don't remember it holding with the previous gen Titan though; it usually sat between the 980 Ti and Titan or below both).

Well, I was referring to HBM causing more problems despite the "Big Numbers," to the point that if they went with gddr5, they might have had much better performance in a very few cases. I was just trying to joke about how in said rare cases, the really really big numbers actually yielded negative returns, and in most other cases, just some returns. :p

Fury wasn't bad...just could have been so much more...if they used gddr5...in specific benchmarks that nobody cares about...

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:05 PM Post #171,313 of 177,745

Well, I was referring to HBM causing more problems despite the "Big Numbers," to the point that if they went with gddr5, they might have had much better performance in a very few cases. I was just trying to joke about how in said rare cases, the really really big numbers actually yielded negative returns, and in most other cases, just some returns. 
tongue.gif

Fury wasn't bad...just could have been so much more...if they used gddr5...in specific benchmarks that nobody cares about...

I don't see where HBM caused any problems. There's little to no way to get better performance w/ GDDR5(X) because HBM by default has higher bandwidth than GDDR5. If you're referring to the 4GB stack limitation, sure, whatever. The issue's gone in HBM2 which is being used in Vega due to larger stack support.

I don't see where there were negative returns either. If we're talking production, yeah it costs more to produce than GDDR5 which has well established fab lines but it's not like each Fury card being sold was costing them (if it was then they'd be the biggest failure of a business I've seen in their position).

There's basically nowhere where HBM is worse than GDDR# outside of current max stack support and cost. It's more space efficient, sits closer to the die (so less lag and the engineers don't need to be nearly as worried about clock skew), takes less power (negligible but HBM runs as much lower clockspeeds than GDDR5 but overall is still faster because bus width is much larger than GDDR5), higher bandwidth. It's not less responsive than GDDR5 (even though the clockspeed is lower, rather it can transfer the same amount of data in fewer clock cycles than GDDR5 can due to the larger bus width so it's just less delay, end of story).

Not sure what you're reading but performance wise HBM outpaces GDDR5.

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #171,314 of 177,745
  Thanks for the feedback!

For me, it's more like a mobile desktop. It's going to be the only thing I have access too for the next year, so it will need to handle everything. I will be doing a lot of content creation stuff that is fairly intensive, not just gaming, and the school doesn't provide anything. So yeah. XD

I'll also start working, which is why I want this laptop to act as a workstation that I can carry between my home, my school, and where ever else I may end up.

I guess a main reason I'm going a bit crazy is because I missed Pascal last year by a month or two, and now I'm in the similar situation so I don't want to end up regretting anything again haha.

I'd still say XPS 15 or Razer Blade then (albeit getting those at cheaper prices will be tricky). The form factor and build quality matter a lot more than some people make it sound since this is something you're carrying with you every day.

The MSI GS63VR like bowei mentioned is also a decent machine.

2015 MacBook Pro 15" is also a good choice if you use anything in the Apple ecosystem like Final Cut Pro (I don't know why anybody would) or something but that's just about it. The only other thing it has going for it is build quality and battery life. Performance with the GT750M is pretty piss poor otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLsDn59fxdQ

That would be a good video to check out.

If you do go for a Razer Blade I'd get a skin for it for some surfaces. The anodizing job they did isn't exactly the greatest and scuffs stand out even more due to it being black anodizing on something that's silver by default.

Jan 2, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #171,315 of 177,745
Maybe 2017 will be a good year for me to get a gaming PC?

The advice given to me was to get a gaming laptop and wait for the pAWa to get better for my my main goal, VR. I ended up buying a desktop but only one 1070 vs the twin 1080's I was planing for. I also wanted a 4K display but maybe a ultra wide one will come out cuz I'm starting to lean towards an ultrawide 1440 screen @ 100Hz....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back