「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Dec 14, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #170,551 of 177,744
So I haven't seen Flip Flappers yet but there seems to be a lot of good talk about it.

The summary and genre didn't seem overly interesting to me so I'm wondering what it could be doing to get such acclaim.

Can anyone do some explanation to it?

So I haven't seen Flip Flappers yet but there seems to be a lot of good talk about it.

The summary and genre didn't seem overly interesting to me so I'm wondering what it could be doing to get such acclaim.

Can anyone do some explanation to it?

Just watch it.

Summary and genre won't tell you anything about it.

I would say it is sort of like Space Dandy. It is pretty episodic (but also not) and it feels like every episode has a different director. The art is fantastic and so diverse and the animations are pure sakuga.

Lots of interesting things going on that one could overanalyze for hours and hours (the episode discussions on /r/anime are crazy...).

My favorite show of this season for sure.

tl;dr it’s tyg's wet dream.

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #170,555 of 177,744
Hm....watched Your Name today. It doesn't quite live up to the hype as I was expecting honestly. It was good, but not thaaaaat good. 8/10 for me. To me it seemed like a mashup of When Marnie Was There and 5 Centimeters Per Second: as in
boy likes girl but can't remember why and some funky telepathic communication thing.

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #170,556 of 177,744
Hm....watched Your Name today. It doesn't quite live up to the hype as I was expecting honestly. It was good, but not thaaaaat good. 8/10 for me. To me it seemed like a mashup of When Marnie Was There and 5 Centimeters Per Second: as in
boy likes girl but can't remember why and some funky telepathic communication thing.

just watch for the scenery~

and sliding doors lol

the story line itself doesn't really make sense especially if you've watched other anime that messes with time (like steins;gate), most of it is just pure magic.

but I don't really mind a bit of magic for these types of feels show, it was still quite enjoyable for me.

and other works by shinkai makoto also kinda fudge the technical stuff with magic (like hoshi no koe) so I kinda had that expectation.

also saliva sake is a thing..... learn something new everyday :|

Dec 16, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #170,557 of 177,744

just watch for the scenery~

and sliding doors lol

the story line itself doesn't really make sense especially if you've watched other anime that messes with time (like steins;gate), most of it is just pure magic.

but I don't really mind a bit of magic for these types of feels show, it was still quite enjoyable for me.

and other works by shinkai makoto also kinda fudge the technical stuff with magic (like hoshi no koe) so I kinda had that expectation.

XD Sliding doors

Iono, the whole "talking to dead people" thing is a big turn off for me. I really liked When Marnie Was There except for that part. Same thing for Your Name; great story except for "oh everything was just in your head, and now you can change it" kind of thing. Were it not for the great visuals, I would have given it a 7 just because the "talking to dead people" thing kind of dragged on way too long for me and made the movie seem longer than it actually was.

At least the ending was a little bit better than 5 cm/sec, just a little though.

Basically the ending is:

[video]https://youtu.be/Og5-Pm4HNlI?t=5m51s[/video]

lol

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #170,558 of 177,744
XD Sliding doors
Iono, the whole "talking to dead people" thing is a big turn off for me. I really liked When Marnie Was There except for that part. Same thing for Your Name; great story except for "oh everything was just in your head, and now you can change it" kind of thing. Were it not for the great visuals, I would have given it a 7 just because the "talking to dead people" thing kind of dragged on way too long for me and made the movie seem longer than it actually was.

At least the ending was a little bit better than 5 cm/sec, just a little though.

Basically the ending is:

lol

Hmm... I actually interpreted it as an alternate timeline in a parallel universe where the girl didn't die and he was talking in some dimensional vortex through the fabric of space and time. The movie actually foreshadows this in one of the beginning scenes about some natural phenomenon occuring at dawn that will mess up time in some way or something like that.

but I guess imagination works too.

Dec 16, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #170,559 of 177,744

Yuppers, it was beautiful and emotional but Makoto Shinkai can't quite craft a masterpiece just yet IMO. Hopefully we will get one within the next decade or two. Even so, Your Name is probably my favourite piece of anime so far, I'm not the one to get too fussed about plot holes and realism and all that. 
tongue.gif

TGT 5 was nice,  really liked the Alfa segment near the end.

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #170,560 of 177,744

Plot twist: He actually just got super drunk and the concussion he got made him imagine the whole last part where he saves the town, that's why he can't remember her name. And the last scene was just coincidence he met her.

Dec 16, 2016 at 6:37 AM Post #170,561 of 177,744
Plot twist: He actually just got super drunk and the concussion he got made him imagine the whole last part where he saves the town, that's why he can't remember her name. And the last scene was just coincidence he met her.

Hahaha that's one way to look at it I suppose.

Dec 16, 2016 at 7:08 AM Post #170,562 of 177,744
Am I like the only person who haven't watched Kimi no Na Wa yet?
beyersmile.png

Maybe I should watch... soon

And off topic a little

Last week that was a doujin and cosplay convention which I was supposed to help out my booth but ended up taking photos the whole two days
beyersmile.png

Was shooting with a 17-50 f2.8 and a 50-200 f4-5.6, and was like thinking that having a 70-200 f2.8 would be better

Saw a really good deal on the Sigma 70-200 f2.8, so I bought one

Dec 16, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #170,563 of 177,744

Plot twist: he had dissociative identity disorder and schizophrenia all along and there should be an extra scene after the credits showing him locked away in a mad house with an ahegao or something.

(oh dear, what's wrong with me....)

Dec 16, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #170,564 of 177,744
Since we're talking about it:

Watched Kimi No Na Wa / Your Name recently as well, definitely a film where you have to ignore plot holes and just logic in general in order to enjoy it. It's nice if you're just sitting back and admiring the art and music (Opinions on the RADWIMPS soundtrack anyone?). I also realised that it's a movie that non-frequent anime-watchers enjoy more and rave about (ala western movie review sites) while anime fans can name 5 'better' anime at the top of their head.

6/10, 'could' watch again. 

Dec 16, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #170,565 of 177,744

LOL
That would have been hilarious if that were the case.

Aaaaand somewhat relevant.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkh9ZYN5CBs[/video]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back