「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Sep 9, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #168,256 of 177,750
The matte black Solo3 Wireless looks quite nice (like a mini Studio 2.0 Wireless), and that 40-hour battery life is a big improvement from the Solo2's 12-hour one. Interesting that it did not move to Lightning, since the Pill+ did after the Apple acquisition. The Beats EP seems like a stupid idea though, since it was released with a 3.5 mm connector alongside the 3.5 mm jack-less iPhone 7.

Can't wait for the reviews/measurements for the Solo3 to come out, then audiophools will complain about the poor Beats audio quality and stuff, even though since the Solo2 they've really cleaned up their act and people often ignore the fact that it's a consumer headphone and was never meant to have a flat/accurate response.

I'm quite dumbfounded when I looked up "Beats EP" and the first headline I read had "Headphones With 3.5mm Plug" in it.
Oh boy, 3.5mm is a feature now.

The Solo^cubed seems like a minor update from the Solo^squared. Probably just a battery bump and maybe a signature tweak.
I wonder how Apple will manage the product cycle of Beats™ products...

Sep 10, 2016 at 1:46 AM Post #168,257 of 177,750
Maybe someone here knows more about how the MacBook Trackpads work.

Why is it that whenever I put a paper notebook on my Trackpad/keyboard to write stuff and afterwards when I try to use the Trackpad, it works like 10% of the time? I don't think it has to do with conductivity because I can do the same thing just fine on a smartphone; or you can even use the Trackpad between 5+ sheets of paper.

It's the macbook's automatic base permittivity calibration, capacitive touch devices works by detecting changes in permittivity (i.e. the difference between air and your fingers).

The macbook's trackpad will continuously calibrate the base permittivity of the environment so that it could still work effectively if you've got water on it or under a few sheets of paper.

This is just a guess of mine but putting a notebook on top probably maxed out the base value so it can't really detect the fingers properly.

I've experienced this quite a few times back in highschool when I actually write on paper lol

Sep 10, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #168,258 of 177,750

The matte black Solo3 Wireless looks quite nice (like a mini Studio 2.0 Wireless), and that 40-hour battery life is a big improvement from the Solo2's 12-hour one. Interesting that it did not move to Lightning, since the Pill+ did after the Apple acquisition. The Beats EP seems like a stupid idea though, since it was released with a 3.5 mm connector alongside the 3.5 mm jack-less iPhone 7.

Can't wait for the reviews/measurements for the Solo3 to come out, then audiophools will complain about the poor Beats audio quality and stuff, even though since the Solo2 they've really cleaned up their act and people often ignore the fact that it's a consumer headphone and was never meant to have a flat/accurate response.

I'm quite dumbfounded when I looked up "Beats EP" and the first headline I read had "Headphones With 3.5mm Plug" in it.
Oh boy, 3.5mm is a feature now.

The Solo^cubed seems like a minor update from the Solo^squared. Probably just a battery bump and maybe a signature tweak.
I wonder how Apple will manage the product cycle of Beats™ products...

What's more is it has a fixed cable, which is a first for a Beats headphone. There might be a Lightning to 3.5 mm cable soon, to improve forward-compatibility with older sets, but the EP mandates the use of the adapter. It is also "battery-free" for "unlimited playback". Wow, that's very innovative!

The Soloalso has beamforming microphones, which is pretty cool. And don't forget the new colors!

Edit: I still expect to see a successor to the Pro with a Lightning interface and a built-in DAC. 

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #168,259 of 177,750
It's the macbook's automatic base permittivity calibration, capacitive touch devices works by detecting changes in permittivity (i.e. the difference between air and your fingers).

The macbook's trackpad will continuously calibrate the base permittivity of the environment so that it could still work effectively if you've got water on it or under a few sheets of paper.

This is just a guess of mine but putting a notebook on top probably maxed out the base value so it can't really detect the fingers properly.

I've experienced this quite a few times back in highschool when I actually write on paper lol

Hm..interesting. It only happens with notebooks and paper though, which is weird. If I need table space I usually use my MacBook as a table extension, so I put all sorts of things on top of it. lol

[rule]
Testing

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:29 AM Post #168,261 of 177,750

Miceblue is out of control and she doesn't care who she hurts anymore!

comfort47f6.gif

Sep 10, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #168,263 of 177,750

1178l5u.gif

ws37li.gif

3029lqh.gif

2873low.gif

hkwhR0E.gif

PwmkDqK.gif

vantt1, hmmm good point, I swear I saw some measurements of the lightning dock audio output but I cant seem to find them right now.

It's probably safe to assume that the DAC Apple uses in that 3.5 mm adapter is the same used in the Lightning dock and the Lightning to 30-pin adapters - the Wolfson WM8533.

Sep 10, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #168,265 of 177,750

It's probably safe to assume that the DAC Apple uses in that 3.5 mm adapter is the same used in the Lightning dock and the Lightning to 30-pin adapters - the Wolfson WM8533.

After years of using Cirrus Logic they finally went back to their legendary Wolfsons?

I don't know if there's a difference now. Wolfson was acquired by Cirrus Logic in 2014, the Lightning to 30-pin adapters were first released in 2012, and the (universal) Lightning docks first appeared in 2015, so this is only an assumption. The DAC in the 3.5 mm adapter could be the aforementioned Wolfson, or a new one. It's also safe to assume that the adapter will support inline remote buttons and mic, so its DAC should be more slimilar to the Lightning dock than the 30-pin adapter.

Edit: it should also share the same DAC as the iPhone 5/5S Lightning dock as pictured below:

jNlSElxhS3fAVoKq

Source

Sep 10, 2016 at 5:21 AM Post #168,266 of 177,750
Ok now, i saw about iphone 7 yesterday and its ok that they dont have a headphone jack. But inorder to replace it they should have made the iphone 7 with 2 lightning inputs so people can actually listen to music while charging the phone, if they want to make lightning ports for headphones more preferable.

Sep 10, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #168,267 of 177,750

That's interesting, no info on the amp though, it might be that proprietary cirrus chip inside.

I think for the dock and the 30-pin adapter, they are more targeting line-out usage like plugging it into some active speakers or an auxiliary input. You could still plug in some earpods and the remote would work, but perhaps since the new lightning>3.5mm jack will be primarily for earphones/headphones there's a chance that they will change it up to better drive a load. (maybe?)

Either way, I should be able to compare the dongle to the headphone jack on the iPhone 6 plus, it looks like it will ship on the 15th or 16th. Judging from the Wolfson WM8533 datasheet....my analysers will have no trouble at all, but I should prooobably throw together a few dummy loads.

Ok now, i saw about iphone 7 yesterday and its ok that they dont have a headphone jack. But inorder to replace it they should have made the iphone 7 with 2 lightning inputs so people can actually listen to music while charging the phone, if they want to make lightning ports for headphones more preferable.

Ehhhh I think people can live with just using a dongle, space is at a premium after all. I reckon the main use case is plugging it to car's aux input and charging at the same time, in which case using the dongle isn't a big deal, it's even a small positive because there will only be one cable to plug in.

Sep 10, 2016 at 6:48 AM Post #168,268 of 177,750
Originally Posted by vantt1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hm..interesting. It only happens with notebooks and paper though, which is weird. If I need table space I usually use my MacBook as a table extension, so I put all sorts of things on top of it. lol

Testing

hkwhR0E.gif

PwmkDqK.gif

\(>v<)/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back