「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Nov 5, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #160,232 of 177,744

Really does live up to the alternate name Sony gave it. It truly is a monster. (-_-")

I honestly wonder why nobody has a 2-in-1 flip mechanism like the VAIO Z. The only one that's remotely close was the old XPS 12 2-in-1 and the Acer Aspire R13 but those aren't as elegant as this.

Is it really that powerful though? I think the quad core skylake in the XPS 15 would probably beat it out...

And probably because it looks kind of janky to me? I wasn't all that impressed with previous Sony VAIO convertibles and I'm still on the fence about this but as a laptop it looks glorious regardless.

You're comparing the predecessor architecture to the successor so...yes the Skylake will win by a very small amount.

Does it look jank? I find it a lot more elegant than the other stuff out there right now.

Samsung just released the ATIV Book 9 Pro which is a 15" w/ a 4k screen and 950M (I really wish they sold a 1080p variant) and it's beautiful but expensive. Comes w/ Wolfson stuff though for the headphone out so it eliminates the need to bring a dedicated DAC and amp with you.

You think it'll win by only a small amount, despite being dual core vs quad core? :O

I dunno, it just feels like the it might be susceptible to breaking moreso than a regular laptop hinge... Shrug.

Meh, looks like it has terrible battery life though.

https://vaio.com/products/z/

You know what? This is one damn sexy premium laptop..... I'm totally sold on this now.
It costs around the same as a XPS13 and has similar features / performance.

I'm not sure how rugged the folding mechanism is from the website so I'll try to find a demo next time I go to Japan....

I love the sleek black design but it seems to lack keyboard back-lit.
Welp, guess that's a no-go for me because I use my laptop in the dark 40%  of the time and I can't type blind.

Wow... How much does the xps 13 cost? The 13 would cost like half the price of the vaio z here.

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #160,233 of 177,744
  Wow... How much does the xps 13 cost? The 13 would cost like half the price of the vaio z here.

my mid-tier XPS13 was around HK$13k, a mid-tier VAIO Z is 220k JPY which is around HK$14k

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #160,234 of 177,744
Finally finished Cowboy Beep Boop, 8/10, there was a lot of everything but they didn't really dive deep enough IMO, sometimes you gotta carry that weight.

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #160,235 of 177,744
  Finally finished Cowboy Beep Boop, 8/10, there was a lot of everything but they didn't really dive deep enough IMO, sometimes you gotta carry that weight.

Not deep enough into what?

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #160,236 of 177,744
  Not deep enough into what?

Everything, it tries to do everything it gets stretched to thin, it just leaves me wanting, it focused quite a lot on the characters yet I still feel unsatisfied and wanted to know more.

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #160,237 of 177,744
Nov 5, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #160,238 of 177,744
  Everything, it tries to do everything it gets stretched to thin, it just leaves me wanting, it focused quite a lot on the characters yet I still feel unsatisfied and wanted to know more.

So you think they should have made the characters less interesting because the show is so highly episodical? :D

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #160,239 of 177,744
Wow, laptops are so bloody expensive...

My 15" rMBP was $2.8k USD. It has a 512 GB SSD, 8 GB RAM, 2.6 GHz i7, and GeForce GT650M.

http://www.amazon.com/VAIO-CORPORATION-Z-2015-Model/dp/B00ZQEE4XO
$2k for a 13" touchscreen laptop, lower resolution, half the RAM, no discrete graphics card.

I still don't see the appeal for touchscreen laptops. Every time I've tried touchscreen laptops (including the Surface line, which has a laptop form factor when used with the Touch Cover), I get tired of using it after 2 minutes and move on to the next thing.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39xLlLoSda0[/video]

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #160,240 of 177,744

You know what? This is one damn sexy premium laptop..... I'm totally sold on this now.

I'm not sure how rugged the folding mechanism is from the website so I'll try to find a demo next time I go to Japan....

Welp, guess that's a no-go for me because I use my laptop in the dark 40%  of the time and I can't type blind.

Just waiting for a skylake update I guess then. XD

Oh ****, I didn't know Sony brought the Vaio line back from the dead. 

VAIO split itself from Sony and is its own independent company now. Still strange though b/c Sony has a portion of their Japan webstore dedicated to VAIO still.

Really does live up to the alternate name Sony gave it. It truly is a monster. (-_-")

I honestly wonder why nobody has a 2-in-1 flip mechanism like the VAIO Z. The only one that's remotely close was the old XPS 12 2-in-1 and the Acer Aspire R13 but those aren't as elegant as this.

Is it really that powerful though? I think the quad core skylake in the XPS 15 would probably beat it out...

And probably because it looks kind of janky to me? I wasn't all that impressed with previous Sony VAIO convertibles and I'm still on the fence about this but as a laptop it looks glorious regardless.

You're comparing the predecessor architecture to the successor so...yes the Skylake will win by a very small amount.

Does it look jank? I find it a lot more elegant than the other stuff out there right now.

Samsung just released the ATIV Book 9 Pro which is a 15" w/ a 4k screen and 950M (I really wish they sold a 1080p variant) and it's beautiful but expensive. Comes w/ Wolfson stuff though for the headphone out so it eliminates the need to bring a dedicated DAC and amp with you.

You think it'll win by only a small amount, despite being dual core vs quad core? :O

I dunno, it just feels like the it might be susceptible to breaking moreso than a regular laptop hinge... Shrug.

Meh, looks like it has terrible battery life though.

Oops I thought the XPS 15 was using the ULV models in which i7's are dual cores instead of quad cores. Didn't read the HQ part.

Yup, the new ATIV Book 9 Pro has super garbage battery life. Makes me pretty sad.

my mid-tier XPS13 was around HK$13k, a mid-tier VAIO Z is 220k JPY which is around HK$14k

Wow, laptops are so bloody expensive...

First world problems. :frowning2:

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #160,241 of 177,744

Damn, the 1080p, 256gb SSD, 8GB RAM config would only cost $1150 + tax here, not $1650... :S

True... Though if I were to order it online apparently I'd have to pay tax on it so that would add 8% to the total cost :frowning2:

Also the VAIO Z definitely has a backilt keyboard.

Welp I'm gonna head up to the MS store later today and play with the XPS 15, if I like that I'll order it otherwise I'll probably order the VAIO...

Oops I thought the XPS 15 was using the ULV models in which i7's are dual cores instead of quad cores. Didn't read the HQ part.

Yup, the new ATIV Book 9 Pro has super garbage battery life. Makes me pretty sad.

Nope, both the i5 and i7 in the XPS 15 are quad core CPUs.

The only concerns I have about the Sony now are: Lack of warranty or even a DOA guarantee probably, 13.3" size may be too small for me, and the 1.2mm key travel on the laptop. Guessing they scrunched the trackpad and keyboard to get a bit more battery in there

Miceblue: Touchscreen laptops are nice for us Windows folks that have terrible trackpads; sometimes it's just easier to click on the touchscreen all the way across the screen rather than move the trackpad over there. XD

Nov 5, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #160,242 of 177,744
VAIO split itself from Sony and is its own independent company now. Still strange though b/c Sony has a portion of their Japan webstore dedicated to VAIO still.

I thought Sony outright sold the Vaio arm.

Nov 5, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #160,243 of 177,744
  So you think they should have made the characters less interesting because the show is so highly episodical? :D

Nah, I just didn't really like the characters by themselves and their past just feels "tacked on" to give them depth. The writers also try to fit concepts into a 20 minute time frame and most of the time it doesn't really go anywhere. The world seemed pretty great and space is a lot to talk about yet they feel the need to have to feature all these funky characters, it just feels sloppy overall and all over the place, I just feel that the writers just wrote what they felt like on that day, maybe I was just a little disappointed, maybe it just didn't live up to my expectations. As I said before, theres a lot of everything, but I felt everything was stretched too thin.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back