「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Aug 24, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #158,251 of 177,745
There was a news segment in the local radio station about the most effective way to clean your smartphone based on a research study. Apparently alcohol was the most effective method to kill bacteria and water was the least (duh).

I tried 70% isopropyl alcohol on the 4S this morning. Worst. Idea. Ever.
Now my screen is a fingerprint magnet and it looks worse than when I normally use (and is recommended) a damp microfibre cloth. Alcohol probably doesn't bode well for the oleophobic coating on the screen either.

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #158,252 of 177,745
There was a news segment in the local radio station about the most effective way to clean your smartphone based on a research study. Apparently alcohol was the most effective method to kill bacteria and water was the least (duh).

Now my screen is a fingerprint magnet and it looks worse than when I normally use (and is recommended) a damp microfibre cloth. Alcohol probably doesn't bode well for the oleophobic coating on the screen either.

You were supposed to pour whiskey on your phone to show your friends at the bar.

I was actually going to clean my screen today with alcohol as well... thanks for the unfortunate find.

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #158,253 of 177,745
Haganai spoilers for latest volume/end out on /a/

Yukimura decided to leave the club and date Kodaka, with Rika's approval since Rika doesn't feel that way about Kodaka.
Sena tries to help Yozora confess, but they're too late and Yukimura reveals they're dating now. Sena is pissed because this isn't what would happen in a galge. But Yukimura goes "Life isn't a game. I am a woman, and all I did was what a normal person would do."
Yozora becomes Sena's new maid/butler.
Kate, having gone fishing with Pegasus all the time, meets Kodaka's dad and falls totally head over heels for him. So Kodaka won't be her lover, but her brother.**** THIS ****
Sena does confess to Kodaka. But that's the end of that story and he dates Yukimura.
Something something student election, Kodaka is nominated by Yukimura and is supported by the Neighbor's Club against the vice-Prez. Someone else wins.
Kodaka is revealed as a virgin to the class and his reputation drops.
Yukimura proposes they go on a Christmas date in order to commemorate a year of dating, but offers to break up if he chooses the Neighbor's Club instead. Kodaka is afraid they'll break up, but Yukimura and he go to the Christmas Party together and Yukimura rejoins the Neighbor's Club. It seems more like Yukimura was being considerate of his friendships when they went to the Neighbor's Club party, not that they actually broke up but that she'll still be his girlfriend while also being part of the club?

So a pretty bad ending. LN's and harems always have bad endings.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Aug 24, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #158,254 of 177,745

I know for a fact that Apple Store geniuses use isopropyl alcohol to clean the demo Macs, not sure about the iOS devices. Maybe just a microfiber cloth. I just use LCD/TV cleaning solution for touchscreen devices (no alcohol/ammonia).

Aug 25, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #158,255 of 177,745

I only use 100% (minus a little residual water it absorbed) Isopropyl Alcohol to clean my screens.

I've only had the iPhone6+ for a few months, and I've maybe cleaned it five times or so.

Here I tried to spread some Canola Oil over the screen, you can see it just bead up into small balls, which means the oleophobic coating is still doing its job.

Next up I left a largeish blob of IPA to 'dissolve' the oleophobic coating. I left it for a couple of minutes.

Then I tried to spread some more oil over the section I put the IPA over. You can see it still beads up just fine. (it'll stay as a thin film of oil on an untreated screen, I tested it on a phone with a crappy screen protector on but I didn't take a picture)

Meh, not the most scientific test out there but I'll keep on cleaning screens with IPA and toilet paper. =P

Remember, using IPA will just dissolve the oils into the solution, if you just keep wiping with the same cloth all you are doing is spreading the oil around, you gotta go in there with a fresh cloth/tissue(unscented) + IPA for a second/third 'finish pass'.

70% isn't so good either, to much water in it IMO, it'll just make a mess but it'll still work if you use enough with a clean cloth. I usually get a bit of a haze with 70%, don't like it at all. :C

Maybe(probably) the oleophobic coating is slowly being stripped over time from my use of IPA....but who cares? I have IPA to clean it with. 
tongue.gif

I really need to stop rubbing the screen on my jeans as a 'field clean', lots of hairline scratches under light. X(

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #158,259 of 177,745
I know for a fact that Apple Store geniuses use isopropyl alcohol to clean the demo Macs, not sure about the iOS devices. Maybe just a microfiber cloth. I just use LCD/TV cleaning solution for touchscreen devices (no alcohol/ammonia).

The times I've had my MacBook screen cleaned, they used some of that Apple Store certified screen cleaner solution. XD

I only use 100% (minus a little residual water it absorbed) Isopropyl Alcohol to clean my screens.

I've only had the iPhone6+ for a few months, and I've maybe cleaned it five times or so.

Here I tried to spread some Canola Oil over the screen, you can see it just bead up into small balls, which means the oleophobic coating is still doing its job.

Next up I left a largeish blob of IPA to 'dissolve' the oleophobic coating. I left it for a couple of minutes.

Then I tried to spread some more oil over the section I put the IPA over. You can see it still beads up just fine. (it'll stay as a thin film of oil on an untreated screen, I tested it on a phone with a crappy screen protector on but I didn't take a picture)

Meh, not the most scientific test out there but I'll keep on cleaning screens with IPA and toilet paper. =P

Remember, using IPA will just dissolve the oils into the solution, if you just keep wiping with the same cloth all you are doing is spreading the oil around, you gotta go in there with a fresh cloth/tissue(unscented) + IPA for a second/third 'finish pass'.

70% isn't so good either, to much water in it IMO, it'll just make a mess but it'll still work if you use enough with a clean cloth. I usually get a bit of a haze with 70%, don't like it at all. :C

Maybe(probably) the oleophobic coating is slowly being stripped over time from my use of IPA....but who cares? I have IPA to clean it with. :p
I really need to stop rubbing the screen on my jeans as a 'field clean', lots of hairline scratches under light. X(

Hm, I don't have 100%. 92% is what I use to clean flux off of PCBs.

So if you put the oil on a non-oleophobic-treated screen, what would happen? It'd just spread around, no?

Aug 25, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #158,260 of 177,745
The times I've had my MacBook screen cleaned, they used some of that Apple Store certified screen cleaner solution. XD
Hm, I don't have 100%. 92% is what I use to clean flux off of PCBs.

So if you put the oil on a non-oleophobic-treated screen, what would happen? It'd just spread around, no?

Yep, like this;

Ehhhh 92% might be okay, just takes a bit more work to get a perfect clean that's all.

Aug 25, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #158,261 of 177,745

If your coating is pretty much gone, you can try using Rain Clear to polish up the screen. It's not as good as the oleophobic/hydrophobic coating you originally had, but it's better than nothing.

7eS9SgG.gif

Yep, like this;

Ehhhh 92% might be okay, just takes a bit more work to get a perfect clean that's all.

Where do you get your 100% IPA? I use the Diggers one from Bunnings:

6e1866b8-29b1-4f38-a275-53dd560a4ca0.jpg

I'm fairly sure it's 100%. What are your thoughts on using denatured alcohol such as methylated spirits to clean screens ('cause it's way cheaper)? Some say it's OK, others say it will destroy the coating. It's basically IPA with additives to make it poisonous for human consumption, isn't it? 

Aug 25, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #158,263 of 177,745

Where do you get your 100% IPA? I use the Diggers one from Bunnings:

I'm fairly sure it's 100%. What are your thoughts on using denatured alcohol such as methylated spirits to clean screens ('cause it's way cheaper)? Some say it's OK, others say it will destroy the coating. It's basically IPA with additives to make it poisonous for human consumption, isn't it? 

Yep from the MSDS on the Bunnings site, it's 99-100% IPA.

Really bad value from Bunnings, it's $8 for 125mL isn't it? You can get 5L for ~$60 or 20L for $130. The brand I use is Chemtools. 

I get mine from electronics supply stores, like element14, Jaycar and such.

Methylated spirits is ethanol (like the drinking alcohol) with additives, IPA is 2-propanol, so they are completely different things. Ethanol is still used for cleaning purposes for some applications, but unless you can get it pure, it's just a massive pain. IPA is just easier to obtain and use (ethanol evaporates much faster, and is somewhat a stronger solvent than IPA, meaning it could damage more plastics than IPA).

The Diggers methylated spirits looks like 95% ethanol and 5% water, with a bit of bittering agent put in it to stop people drinking it. Would I use it for cleaning stuff? Ehhhhhhh, probably not.

Aug 25, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #158,264 of 177,745
  If your coating is pretty much gone, you can try using Rain Clear to polish up the screen. It's not as good as the oleophobic/hydrophobic coating you originally had, but it's better than nothing.

I wouldn't do that by the way, I don't like the idea of various chemicals coming in to contact with my face. 
tongue.gif

MSDS of rain repellent stuff usually says it's irritating to skin, and to wash with water after contact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back