「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jul 29, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #157,337 of 177,744
  It was a very nice self contained campus within the middle of Atlanta. Some of its dorms and other campus things were farther away from the central campus and requires a walk though.

The campus itself was nice and had a lot of College mojo feel to it and would overall be a nice play to be.

The newest building there (forgot its name) that is really nice is a located close to the dorms and isn't in some random location which is nice.

However. Two of the new professors that joined my school (VT) entrepreneurship program and that I know well used to teach there. The biggest concern at GT and that is a huge part of what people don't know is its crime. Atlanta is a big city in the south and crime is always a big issue at GT. Right outside one of the corners of the GT campus is a very bad part of town (the other three corners are in the nicer ones). This has led to those professors describing to me that you don't usually feel safe at night or in leaving stuff out.

Good club and social scene though as it is in such a big city. Lots of stuff to do.

That is about it. It's a nice space and has cons that many urban schools face. It's really all about how you get it.

Yeah I keep hearing stuff about Georgia Tech and other south schools regarding crime. Hopefully I get my #1 and #2 choice.

Windows (10) has finally caught up with OS X.

Basically.

At least they finally got their schiit together with the double control panel garbage...I think.

Jul 29, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #157,338 of 177,744
Jul 29, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #157,339 of 177,744

@vantt1 Any input or opinions on the OP2 and Moto X Style? The latter seems really promising from the price, QHD, good 21MP camera, 5.7" screen, a whole list of customizations etc

The OP2's camera is a pretty small upgrade from the OPO. 13 MP with OIS and laser autofocus, but the dual LED flash isn't two tone and looks like the disappointingly dim setup in the OPO. It has a larger battery than the OPO, but its underclocked Snapdragon 810 will probably get less battery life and less prolonged performance. Screen is a similar 5.5" 1080p panel, which was last year's killer screen spec. Omission of NFC is a strange move. Does not have a stainless steel construction - that isn't never settling. That's settling for the filthy casual that is aluminum.

The Moto X Style, on the other hand, has a Snapdragon 808, a 21 MP camera with two tone flash, a 1440p 5.7" display, a micro SD slot and NFC! Definitely go for the Style.

Guys did you upgrade to Windows 10? Microsoft did a good job this time. Still it is better for touch devices.

I'm probably gonna stick to Windows 7 on my desktops, but I might try it in Boot Camp on my Mac.

Yup I'm thinking if I were to get a new phone, it'd definitely be the Moto X style not the OPO, I've had nothing but little frustrations with the OPO that build up over time and have really started to frustrate me now...

My face when I get a phone interview for a job in the field and they want me to come in for the in-person interview.

Or my iPhone can be dumb and not upload the gif.

Nice! Congrats! :D

Of course, iOS still doesn't support gifs, right?

Jul 29, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #157,340 of 177,744
  Don't they still have PC Settings alongside Control Panel though?

I don't know but from the looks of it, it's at least better combined. There are some parts that look like the metro app (the "main" settings panel) but quite a few of those links open up the current style of Control Panel up from what I've seen.

If not I'm going to kill something because it's by far the worst decision Microsoft has made outside of Metro itself. I know they have a great designer on their XBox team from Art Center College of Design in Cali. They should bring him over to the UI team because Microsoft has no freaking idea what they're doing with their UI.

Long live Gnome 3. GTK needs fixing though.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #157,341 of 177,744

Don't they still have PC Settings alongside Control Panel though?

I don't know but from the looks of it, it's at least better combined. There are some parts that look like the metro app (the "main" settings panel) but quite a few of those links open up the current style of Control Panel up from what I've seen.

If not I'm going to kill something because it's by far the worst decision Microsoft has made outside of Metro itself. I know they have a great designer on their XBox team from Art Center College of Design in Cali. They should bring him over to the UI team because Microsoft has no freaking idea what they're doing with their UI.

Long live Gnome 3. GTK needs fixing though.

Maybe Microsoft suffers from the same phenomenon Samsung does? 

http://www.fastcodesign.com/3042408/why-samsung-design-stinks 

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #157,343 of 177,744

@vantt1 Any input or opinions on the OP2 and Moto X Style? The latter seems really promising from the price, QHD, good 21MP camera, 5.7" screen, a whole list of customizations etc

The OP2's camera is a pretty small upgrade from the OPO. 13 MP with OIS and laser autofocus, but the dual LED flash isn't two tone and looks like the disappointingly dim setup in the OPO. It has a larger battery than the OPO, but its underclocked Snapdragon 810 will probably get less battery life and less prolonged performance. Screen is a similar 5.5" 1080p panel, which was last year's killer screen spec. Omission of NFC is a strange move. Does not have a stainless steel construction - that isn't never settling. That's settling for the filthy casual that is aluminum.

The Moto X Style, on the other hand, has a Snapdragon 808, a 21 MP camera with two tone flash, a 1440p 5.7" display, a micro SD slot and NFC! Definitely go for the Style.

Guys did you upgrade to Windows 10? Microsoft did a good job this time. Still it is better for touch devices.

I'm probably gonna stick to Windows 7 on my desktops, but I might try it in Boot Camp on my Mac.

Yup I'm thinking if I were to get a new phone, it'd definitely be the Moto X style not the OPO, I've had nothing but little frustrations with the OPO that build up over time and have really started to frustrate me now...

The OPO is better value for money than the OP2 IMO. $249 vs. $329 for the 16 GB model, but the OPO has a similar display, 3 GB RAM, SD801 and longer battery life. The only thing the OPO is missing out on is a fingerprint sensor, laser autofocus, OIS, dual SIM 4G and other things that the price difference can justify doing without.

For some reason, people can't distinguish between Samsung Display Co., Samsung Electronics Co, and Samsung Semiconductor Inc.

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #157,344 of 177,744
For some reason, people can't distinguish between Samsung Display Co., Samsung Electronics Co, and Samsung Semiconductor Inc.

1089539.jpg

Jul 29, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #157,345 of 177,744

Probably. That's what I thought after seeing that article awhile ago. I was like: "Hm...which companies have really bad design b/c of something like this?"

They don't exactly have a culture built around design though. They seem more industrial. Google and Apple on the other hand have design at the core of their work.

The main difference I see between Apple/Google and Microsoft is the color palette. I highly dislike the color palette used in Metro. It's mostly dark color shades where as the other two user lighter, more "playful" colors. The colors Microsoft used are like the leftover crayons that nobody wants. Like that ugly maroon color on the Alarm metro app.

Jul 30, 2015 at 12:02 AM Post #157,346 of 177,744

Probably. That's what I thought after seeing that article awhile ago. I was like: "Hm...which companies have really bad design b/c of something like this?"

They don't exactly have a culture built around design though. They seem more industrial. Google and Apple on the other hand have design at the core of their work.

The main difference I see between Apple/Google and Microsoft is the color palette. I highly dislike the color palette used in Metro. It's mostly dark color shades where as the other two user lighter, more "playful" colors. The colors Microsoft used are like the leftover crayons that nobody wants. Like that ugly maroon color on the Alarm metro app.

"Design" is a big word. It encompass not only technical work but very personal feelings. Everyone like different things after all, I am pretty sure even there are a very small percentage of human on earth that doesn't like nekomimi girls.

For me, the words "Design", "Designer" means that the product is most likely going to be form over function.

But yea, Samsung phones are ugly. HTC are OK, iPhones are too limited, Sharp and Sony are clean and angular and most importantly have the life saving phone strap port...

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #157,347 of 177,744
I miss my HTC legend to be honest. That odd bend at the end is a bit pointless, but that cold metal feels nice.

Now my S4 may be faster, and the touchscreen is far more responsive, but you can't beat a metal phone. Good thing there seem to be more of them.

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #157,348 of 177,744
"Design" is a big word. It encompass not only technical work but very personal feelings. Everyone like different things after all, I am pretty sure even there are a very small percentage of human on earth that doesn't like nekomimi girls.

For me, the words "Design", "Designer" means that the product is most likely going to be form over function.

But yea, Samsung phones are ugly. HTC are OK, iPhones are too limited, Sharp and Sony are clean and angular and most importantly have the life saving phone strap port...

That's because of how it's basically become a useless marketing tool now, but the people who are in these companies are "designing" a product, not the consumers who look at "design" and say "wow...I should buy that." Anyways as far as Microsoft is concerned, it doesn't really have much room to throw around some fancy effects and whatnot because Apple and Google have taken their design much more seriously. It's not form over function or form follows function. Form and function are held on the same level such that there's good functionality yet it's all well executed so that it is also beautiful. (thank you Dieter Rams)

Actually the new Galaxy phones are fine. They aren't as silly as the previous ones at least. The only thing I will never understand in a few flagship phones: WHY DO YOU HAVE THE CAMERA FREAKING BULGING OUT OF THE PHONE?

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #157,349 of 177,744
The OPO is better value for money than the OP2 IMO. $249 vs. $329 for the 16 GB model, but the OPO has a similar display, 3 GB RAM, SD801 and longer battery life. The only thing the OPO is missing out on is a fingerprint sensor, laser autofocus, OIS, dual SIM 4G and other things that the price difference can justify doing without.

I'm looking forward to see if they deliver on all that they unveiled at the soft-launch event. That 15mins for 10hours of battery life fast-charging sounds really promising, not it mention their new camera already being rated as 2nd only to the S6.

I really like Sony's clean design for the Z1 with that glass back. But the rest, compact, Z2 etc sort of reminds me of the older Samsungs, just not plastic.

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #157,350 of 177,744
That's because of how it's basically become a useless marketing tool now, but the people who are in these companies are "designing" a product, not the consumers who look at "design" and say "wow...I should buy that." Anyways as far as Microsoft is concerned, it doesn't really have much room to throw around some fancy effects and whatnot because Apple and Google have taken their design much more seriously. It's not form over function or form follows function. Form and function are held on the same level such that there's good functionality yet it's all well executed so that it is also beautiful. (thank you Dieter Rams)

Actually the new Galaxy phones are fine. They aren't as silly as the previous ones at least. The only thing I will never understand in a few flagship phones: WHY DO YOU HAVE THE CAMERA FREAKING BULGING OUT OF THE PHONE?

My guess is that it's supposed to emulate proper cameras, so it looks like a better quality camera, instead of that blurry crap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back