「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Oct 21, 2014 at 8:17 PM Post #134,506 of 177,744
Forgive the shilling and if it is against the rules I'll edit my post. Company I work for just launched our kickstarter to try and publish a quite a few Osamu Tezuka. Goal is pretty large but the titles are pretty great stuff. I'm in the video as the only guy 
redface.gif

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitalmanga/tezukas-world-release-publishing-osamu-tezuka-mang

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Oct 21, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #134,507 of 177,744
Forgive the shilling and if it is against the rules I'll edit my post. Company I work for just launched our kickstarter to try and publish a quite a few Osamu Tezuka. Goal is pretty large but the titles are pretty great stuff. I'm in the video as the only guy :xf_eek:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitalmanga/tezukas-world-release-publishing-osamu-tezuka-mang

Whaaaaaaaaat? Astro Boy?? I should tell my dad about this since he was a big fan of it back in the day and my brother is interested in Tezuka's work.
Seems like an interesting campaign for sure.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C48q8FIvLu4[/video]

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #134,508 of 177,744
True true, and I completely agree.

The only DACs I've purchased for sound quality were the E7, which doesn't actually sound all that great compared to the Retina MacBook Pro's headphone out, and the ODAC. The other DACs I have were mainly about the form factor and features (Geek Out for portable DAC/amp without the need for extra cables and doodads and plays back all sampling rates, Geek Pulse for inputs/outputs and playing back all sampling rates). The differences between DACs in my experience is pretty minimal.

So what are some good DACs out there? and are some of those them drive sized DACs any good, like the Audioquest DragonFly 1.1 and stuff?

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #134,509 of 177,744
Whaaaaaaaaat? Astro Boy?? I should tell my dad about this since he was a big fan of it back in the day and my brother is interested in Tezuka's work.

AstroBoy is a nice anime, actually the first to be in color, so it's pretty interesting.

You are now misogynist, and cishet $hitlord oppressing patriarchal neckbeard manbaby.

At least that's what gaming "journalists" are telling me what I am.
No excuses .

I know how to use i just don't like...

And no, most gamers aren't that, but a minority is, and that makes all of use look stupid...

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #134,510 of 177,744
So what are some good DACs out there? and are some of those them drive sized DACs any good, like the Audioquest DragonFly 1.1 and stuff?

I've owned the Dragonfly 1.0 and it's decent. It's wasn't a huge step up from my on-board MacBook sound card but it's a definite improvement from the sound card in many Windows computers. At $150 (v1.1) and $99 (v1.0) they're decent values. That said you can get a used Geek Out 450 and possibly even a 720 for around the same price as the 1.1 and I think they best the Dragonfly in every aspect aside from size and heat dispersion. The GO 450 gets warmer than the Dragonfly, but certainly not hot in my book.

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #134,511 of 177,744
Local forum musings:

Wondering whether I should bother with the local mechanical keyboard market or not. For one thing, that would mean no exorbitant shipping prices. But I have to deal with the "budget/high-end or bust", no middle ground stand. Sigh.

Also funny how in their Nexus 6 thread, there's a page of anti-government posts and I kind of agree lol. It's about how Google can't, and won't be able to expand its services because of local companies' monopoly and government lobbying, and the latter's sudden efficiency at catching "criminals" that are "pirating" media. Like subbing to a legit Youtube channel that have a TV series, which is now blocked because that series is on a local cable service that nobody wants to use, but bundled and forced into the packages of the biggest ISP here. Also the only satellite TV services (and the only effective least hassle way to watch anything international) doing the same thing in conjunction.

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #134,512 of 177,744

I've owned the Dragonfly 1.0 and it's decent. It's wasn't a huge step up from my on-board MacBook sound card but it's a definite improvement from the sound card in many Windows computers. At $150 (v1.1) and $99 (v1.0) they're decent values. That said you can get a used Geek Out 450 and possibly even a 720 for around the same price as the 1.1 and I think they best the Dragonfly in every aspect aside from size and heat dispersion. The GO 450 gets warmer than the Dragonfly, but certainly not hot in my book.

What about the Audio Engine ones? they seem pretty high rated pretty much everywhere

Local forum musings:

Wondering whether I should bother with the local mechanical keyboard market or not. For one thing, that would mean no exorbitant shipping prices. But I have to deal with the "budget/high-end or bust", no middle ground stand. Sigh.

Also funny how in their Nexus 6 thread, there's a page of anti-government posts and I kind of agree lol. It's about how Google can't, and won't be able to expand its services because of local companies' monopoly and government lobbying, and the latter's sudden efficiency at catching "criminals" that are "pirating" media. Like subbing to a legit Youtube channel that have a TV series, which is now blocked because that series is on a local cable service that nobody wants to use, but bundled and forced into the packages of the biggest ISP here. Also the only satellite TV services (and the only effective least hassle way to watch anything international) doing the same thing in conjunction.

Head-Fi is a pretty big community, so that's expected, a lot of topics going on here.

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #134,513 of 177,744

AstroBoy is a nice anime, actually the first to be in color, so it's pretty interesting.

Quote:

Awesome thanks!, Here everybody in the office is a pretty big Astro Boy and Tezuka fan. Got a few Tezuka titles on my shelf that have been on my to read list but never got around to. Worked on some of our digital Tezuka titles and they are a blast.

Been using the Dragonfly v1.0 for like a year now, first as my dac/amp as the amp on it is quite strong and now as my source with my O2 being my amp. It sounds fantastic and don't have many complaints.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #134,514 of 177,744
  Awesome thanks!, Here everybody in the office is a pretty big Astro Boy and Tezuka fan. Got a few Tezuka titles on my shelf that have been on my to read list but never got around to. Worked on some of our digital Tezuka titles and they are a blast.

Been using the Dragonfly v1.0 for like a year now, first as my dac/amp as the amp on it is quite strong and now as my source with my O2 being my amp. It sounds fantastic and don't have many complaints.

What kind of headphones can you power with the Dragonfly v1.0 or 1.1? since USB isn't that strong of a power source.

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #134,515 of 177,744
If you're using IEMs, I'd either spring for a GO 450 or wait it out for a Schiit Fulla. If you're trying to build a desktop rig, O2/ODAC. If you wanna spend a bit more, I hear the Emotiva DC1 is very good

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #134,516 of 177,744

What kind of headphones can you power with the Dragonfly v1.0 or 1.1? since USB isn't that strong of a power source.

Lot of iems, my most power hungry headphone is the he-400 which I was at around 20-25 volume in windows. I tried some fazor lcd 2 for kicks and actually turned it up to around 60-70 though I have been told I listen to a lot of stuff at a moderate volume.

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #134,517 of 177,744
  Lot of iems, my most power hungry headphone is the he-400 which I was at around 20-25 volume in windows. I tried some fazor lcd 2 for kicks and actually turned it up to around 60-70 though I have been told I listen to a lot of stuff at a moderate volume.

Interesting, Audeze LCD 2 are not known to be driven well from weak sources, so it must al least pack some punch.

I know it's old news to you guys, but the music Imagine Dragons made to the League of Legends made to the world championship is really cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back