「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Aug 4, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #122,027 of 177,750
  Uuuuhhhhhh fancy.
Enthusiast compact camera master race ♥

Soooo....is that your first "real" camera?
Picking one with a prime lense doesn't really seem like a beginner friendly choice but whatever.

Yup first real camera. 

Small enough to bring everywhere to learn how to actually take photos. Now to find a book!

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:45 AM Post #122,028 of 177,750
Oh my gawd....
https://www.edx.org/course-list/allschools/allsubjects/allcourses

That is friggin' awesome. I really wish I had known about that website earlier. Free education, and not just trivial stuff either!
This would have been so helpful to know about earlier during my undergraduate c areer. >.>

Looked at the stuff they have for mathematics. It's all either stuff without any real content, or first year stuff. No graduate level courses. Meh.
For physics it's slightly more advanced, but still doesn't go past introductory quantum mechanics. (except one graduate level course).

On the other hand this site does offer some better stuff. Though I'm still always baffled by how little is covered in American undergraduate courses.

Do you guys run on the semester system? I feel like I would have gotten a lot more out of my undergraduate courses had they been on semester versus quarter time frames. Some of the professors I had had to cut back stuff because they were used to teaching on the semester system. :/

And yes, that website is meant to be an introductory kind of thing. It's like Khan Academy, but in a more formal manner. I for one didn't get any education in biostatistics/bioinformatics, and I only had brief, dismal discussion groups about bioethics, so I plan to go through those courses. I'm enrolled in the Linux course too since I would like a more formal introduction and walk through of that. I've played around in Linux before but I never grasped its environment and how it works. If they have a molecular gastronomy course too, I'm definitely going to take that; that stuff is so coooooooooool *sonovabich*. Likewise for the vocal recording class; it'll be interesting to get a more formal education about how the studio recording environment is.

I would think higher-level courses would be hard to coordinate amongst several universities, as they're doing here. The University of Washington has barely just started offering online courses and the one I took was pretty bad, to be frank. Getting to MIT's sophistication of online courses would require a huge investment from the university, let alone a partnership between many universities around the world like what edX is doing.

Also, are you guys seriously having the old Mac-Windows debate? This has happened a multitude of times before in this very thread. Why don't you guys realize these discussions never lead to anywhere?

It's like discussing the ethical issues of abortion or euthanasia. Everyone has a firm opinion, an nobody's gonna change it.

Naw, we're just having a discussion of Mac OS and OS X. The only windows being discussed here are windows shown in Exposé. : p

And now I'm tired. I'm meeting a fellow Head-Fier in 9 hours too...

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:55 AM Post #122,029 of 177,750
Do you guys run on the semester system? I feel like I would have gotten a lot more out of my undergraduate courses had they been on semester versus quarter time frames. Some of the professors I had had to cut back stuff because they were used to teaching on the semester system. :/

And yes, that website is meant to be an introductory kind of thing. It's like Khan Academy, but in a more formal manner. I for one didn't get any education in biostatistics/informatics and minimal discussion of bioethics, so I plan to go through those courses.

I would think higher-level courses would be hard to coordinate amongst several universities as they're doing here. The University of Washington has barely just started offering online courses and the one I took was pretty bad, to be frank. Getting to MIT's sophistication of online courses would require a lot of investment for the university, let alone a partnership between many universities around the world like what edX is doing.

No we're using quarter time frames. But one course is a lot of credits (about 5.2 credits), so the typical student only takes 2 subjects per term (4 per semester). But in any case, if I compare my knowledge of mathematics to an American undegrad (in his last year), I probably know a lot more about a couple subjects. I'm not exactly sure, but as far as I know we have more choice, and the courses are more specialized. But that's good because I don't give a damn about combinatorics or statistics, so I'd hate having to do more courses on that. (for example).

It's really annoying though, since we always have to buy (more expensive) graduate level texts for all our courses, while we're typically only covering half of such a book. (But still more than any undegraduate text out there).

Also instead of taking courses, as long as I don't get any credits for it I might just as well grab a text book and read it cover to cover instead. (not for mathematics or physics of course, but other fields like philosophy or biology). For example I'm right now in the middle of reading a neurology text. It's quite liberating to just be able to read it without doing a crapload of revision and exercises. Of course retention is lower this way, but I can get to the interesting parts much quicker this way.

And it's actually not a problem to get study higher level courses from other universities. You just pick and choose the topics that are relevant to you, and you simply mix course material from different universities. For example, I tend to get lecture notes from other universities quite often as extra reference material when I'm stuck on a problem, or don't get something completely from my regular text/lecture notes.

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:12 AM Post #122,031 of 177,750

+1

Yup first real camera. 

Small enough to bring everywhere to learn how to actually take photos. Now to find a book!

Don't book! Learning by doing is much more fun :3

If I had your money, I would have gone for the Sony DSC-RX100 III. That thing is a beast.

Apart from one small meet I've once gone to, I've never met another head-fier. Heck, I've only once met a person who knew of head-fi. Said he read a review or two on here.

I never meet another head-fier IRL and only once stumbled upon one person who knew about this website.

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #122,033 of 177,750
You should come here.
wink.gif

It's only a 5 hour drive. You could be here before dinner.

I really should! Maybe not today though....

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #122,034 of 177,750
RX100 III don't have hot shoe anymore though. But that EVF.

Aug 4, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #122,035 of 177,750
Oh my gawd....
https://www.edx.org/course-list/allschools/allsubjects/allcourses

That is friggin' awesome. I really wish I had known about that website earlier. Free education, and not just trivial stuff either!
This would have been so helpful to know about earlier during my undergraduate career. >.>

I thought I talked about EdX a few times already.

Taking the Linux course right now.

Looked at the stuff they have for mathematics. It's all either stuff without any real content, or first year stuff. No graduate level courses. Meh.
For physics it's slightly more advanced, but still doesn't go past introductory quantum mechanics. (except one graduate level course).

On the other hand this site does offer some better stuff. Though I'm still always baffled by how little is covered in American undergraduate courses.

OCW isn't as noob friendly. EdX is like getting into basic stuff and MIT's OpenCourseware rs the more advanced stuff.

Also, are you guys seriously having the old Mac-Windows debate? This has happened a multitude of times before in this very thread. Why don't you guys realize these discussions never lead to anywhere?

It's like discussing the ethical issues of abortion or euthanasia. Everyone has a firm opinion, an nobody's gonna change it.

+1

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #122,036 of 177,750
Ah I see. I tend to not use hotcorners nowadays since I don't like dragging the cursor to the edges of the display. I use the first scaled down "resolution" appearance for my display, so it takes some effort to make the mouse traverse the screen while keeping it at a comfortable sensitivity. People already say my cursor is fast. XD

I can drag my cursor across the screen using less than half of my trackpad.......

Yes, I play Osu! using my trackpad.

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #122,037 of 177,750
Aug 4, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #122,039 of 177,750
RX100 III don't have hot shoe anymore though. But that EVF.

Wouldn't bother me one bit :3
It's a pretty nice EVF (for this kind of camera)!

If I had the moneyz, I would buy one of these: http://www.amazon.de/Sony-DSC-RX1R-Cyber-shot-Digitalkamera-Megapixel/dp/B00DM8R8FM

or one of these: http://www.amazon.de/Sony-Systemkamera-Megapixel-schwenkbares-Vollformat/dp/B00G34CVWW/ref=sr_1_3?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1407156873&sr=1-3&keywords=sony+alpha+7

I'm a Sony fanboy.

Oooohhhhh that's a mighty fine foxgirl you have right there :)

Aug 4, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #122,040 of 177,750

Users who are viewing this thread

Back