「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Jun 15, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #115,291 of 177,750

I have a request for you guys, in a few days I'm going to do a presentation with a classmate concerning Artificial Intelligence and I'm working on the part of AI in various forms of media and if possible, can you give me a list of Anime/Manga that has strong AI elements and themes in it?

Gundam Unicorn/Wing (psychoframe and zero system)

My brother is watching Unicorn and really likes the soundtrack. Upon closer inspection, the composer for Unicorn composed the soundtrack for Kill la Kill and Attack on Titan. All 3 shows have very well-composed music...too bad the mastering is a piece of schiit. Leave it to the mastering engineer to ruin an awesome score.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiroyuki_Sawano

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #115,292 of 177,750
Unicorn has an amazing OST. Pretty jazzed that he'll be scoring Xenoblade X as well

Anyhow, I've got a Hugo and DX90 coming in soon. Very curious to see how the Hugo and DX90 will stack up to the GEEK OUT. There's been so much praise heaped upon the Hugo that it can't possibly live up to the hype

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #115,293 of 177,750
Unicorn has an amazing OST. Pretty jazzed that he'll be scoring Xenoblade X as well

Anyhow, I've got a Hugo and DX90 coming in soon. Very curious to see how the Hugo and DX90 will stack up to the GEEK OUT. There's been so much praise heaped upon the Hugo that it can't possibly live up to the hype

One person in the LH forums likes the Out a little more than the Hugo just because the difference in soundstage is so apparent despite the Hugo performing better technically in instrument separation. Dat Hugo though...so expensive. I think there was a MOT in the Hugo thread who complained about the poor packaging of the device and how you shell out some thousands of dollars for something that doesn't even come with a cheap $1 "Made in China" case or carrying pouch.

Jun 15, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #115,295 of 177,750
Yeah I recall you linking to that post. I just gotta hear for myself I guess. I've got a few friends on here who've hyped it to heaven. One of them doesn't even bother with his Liquid Gold anymore, so I don't know what to believe. I'm sure it'll sound good, but $2000 better than the GO? Therein lies the question. The proprietary tech makes me take pause for instance, since it doesn't repurpose any currently existing DACs. A large part of reason I'm taking the dive is simply cause I've never heard "reference" level gear before. In any case, it'll be easy to resell the Hugo simply due to how much hype it's got in its favor

I agree in regard to packaging though. It doesn't convey any sense of luxury whatsoever. The box comes across like one of those ****ty graphics cards you'd see back in the 90's

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #115,296 of 177,750
Yeah I recall you linking to that post. I just gotta hear for myself I guess. I've got a few friends on here who've hyped it to heaven. One of them doesn't even bother with his Liquid Gold anymore, so I don't know what to believe. I'm sure it'll sound good, but $2000 better than the GO? Therein lies the question. The proprietary tech makes me take pause for instance, since it doesn't repurpose any currently existing DACs. A large part of reason I'm taking the dive is simply cause I've never heard "reference" level gear before. In any case, it'll be easy to resell the Hugo simply due to how much hype it's got in its favor

I agree in regard to packaging though. It doesn't convey any sense of luxury whatsoever. The box comes across like one of those ****ty graphics cards you'd see back in the 90's

I wonder what happened to the Pterodactyl Tera Player. It use to be "da schiit" a few years back and now no one ever talks about it. There are all of these AK47 players out there.

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #115,297 of 177,750
I wonder what happened to the Pterodactyl Tera Player. It use to be "da schiit" a few years back and now no one ever talks about it. There are all of these AK47 players out there.

This!
I've seen AK ads in the metro here in HK.... and I thought Headphone Hi-Fi was just a niche market.....

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #115,298 of 177,750

Might I ask you what you do for a living?

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #115,299 of 177,750
I have never at any point understood the TP. No UI? What. How do you navigate to your song/albums? Then Charles went and jacked up the price on it. (Tho I guess Chord are guilty of that as well. Not that I paid retail but :rolleyes: ) Shotgun and Music used to own the TP, and it does some crazy things for specific phones according to SGS. Apparently the EarPods and SM64 sound amazingly good thru it.

Never heard the AKs. I think Eke heard one of them, but wasn't impressed. He felt the HM901 was on a par with his iPhone lol. Then you've got people who proclaim that the 901 is on a par with the AK240. I dunno. I don't believe in any of this DSD/hires nonsense. I neither have the bandwidth nor storage space to accommodate it anyway. Soundfreaq's been telling me that DSD ain't all it's cracked up to be. I guess the only reason I'm currently sippin the HUGO kool-aid is due to its weird DACless setup

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #115,300 of 177,750

Nice~
Are Hugos the new black these days? I haven't been going around head-fi too much....

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #115,301 of 177,750
I have never at any point understood the TP. No UI? What. How do you navigate to your song/albums? Then Charles went and jacked up the price on it. (Tho I guess Chord are guilty of that as well. Not that I paid retail but
rolleyes.gif
) Shotgun and Music used to own the TP, and it does some crazy things for specific phones according to SGS. Apparently the EarPods and SM64 sound amazingly good thru it.

Never heard the AKs. I think Eke heard one of them, but wasn't impressed. He felt the HM901 was on a par with his iPhone lol. Then you've got people who proclaim that the 901 is on a par with the AK240. I dunno. I don't believe in any of this DSD/hires nonsense. I neither have the bandwidth nor storage space to accommodate it anyway. Soundfreaq's been telling me that DSD ain't all it's cracked up to be. I guess the only reason I'm currently sippin the HUGO kool-aid is due to its weird DACless setup

wait... what? a DAC-less DAC?

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #115,302 of 177,750
Might I ask you what you do for a living?

Full69474.jpg

wait... what? a DAC-less DAC?

It uses something called a FPGA in lieu of the traditional circuitry from vendors like Wolfson, Cirrus, ESS etc. Which, according to Tyll, is a buncha programmable transistors or something. Apparently the reason why it sounds so good is due to how many programmable tap length filters it's got. (26,000) Not that the aforementioned means anything to me. People seem to cite a removal of any sort of digital "harshness" as a reason for its sounding so natural. Now, you'd think that'd translate to rolled off highs, but apparently that isn't the case, it's just super smooth (while being highly detailed) up high or something.

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #115,303 of 177,750

I tried the AK240 for like an hour. Blame my tin ears, but while I think that it sounds more refined and clearer than my DX50, I really wasn't blown away by this thing. There absolutely no way I would ever pay this much for a DAP.
I also tried some DSD tracks with it and.....nope, not feeling it.

Full69474.jpg

That explaaaaains everything.

Jun 15, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #115,305 of 177,750
For a sec, I thought this was the diary thread :D
One of the Tyll pictures for TMCA. I had forgotten about it. Until I opened the box :frowning2:

1. MF's gone yo.
2. You're welcome

"...while I think that it sounds more refined and clearer than my DX50, I really wasn't blown away by this thing."

That's basically it. I haven't had a lot of experience with any premium players or DACs (just DX50, F886, ZX1, GEEK, KRAMER) but nothing seems like a clear leap above just my iPhone. And none of the aforementioned matches the ease of use on my iPhone, so I'll sacrifice a smidgens worth of SQ for absolutely better UI. I'm just hoping that the HUGO represents a large leap forward. If it doesn't, I guess I'll be a bit sad, but life will continue on and I'll be able to put that 2 grand back into my pocket

Users who are viewing this thread

Back