「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Dec 4, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #170,282 of 177,750
Just feel like Apple try to sell their Macbook pro like iPhone with a life cycle of 2 to 3 years.

You can't upgrade your machine and if broken? Just replace it. And their heat sink looks really s__ks.

Sucks is allowed :smile:

Well not like I would buy a Mac anyway

To me my Surface has a better functionality to price ratio lol

Yea the Surface Pro is a great all-in-one of sorts. I actually got a great deal on mine, and then undermined it with being unable to resist the Alcantara type cover.

Haha, wow. This doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

I saw chat client and 3GB and pretty much did a triple take.

Dec 4, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #170,283 of 177,750
My laptop has 6 GB. Slightly struggling a bit with Firefox, other random programs and Photoshop open. Planning to bump it to 8 (but that was a year ago. Still didn't buy that stupid 4 GB stick to replace the 2gb one in my laptop). My desktop has 16gb and I can see why 12gb may be beneficial for even consumers who do a lot of intensive stuff like heavy gaming/modding. 16 gb is fairly safe for most people, and anything higher are usually for specific workloads. You'll know if you need to bump up the ram any more.

Dec 4, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #170,286 of 177,750
And another wire snapped off the solder point in the K7XX, this time in the left earcup instead of the right. It's the same post too. Time to get some more copper wire and wrap it around the ball of solder that's still left on the post.

Whoever decided to use really thin wires for those posts needs to get fired.

Dec 4, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #170,288 of 177,750

This first impressions though...I'm close to ripping my hair out.

oh cmon, it's not like you own one of these things and now you have to deal with its problems
popcorn.gif

my current laptop is almost 2 yrs old and it won't be another year until I'll consider getting a new one.
and I'm glad the new Macbook (beta) won't be on my list when that happens.

Dec 4, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #170,289 of 177,750
5 year old laptop, still going strong. Unless it dies, it's staying on my desk for work.

Edit: Autocorrect I hate you.

Dec 4, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #170,290 of 177,750

I'm listening to those kpop links you posted a few pages ago, thanks! :) I heard one of those songs the other day in Korea town and I was trying to identify the song but couldn't get it fast enough :C

Derp, why though? :S

Agreed that most people don't upgrade, but a lot of people like to have the option to do so. And Idk if it's changed recently but a few friend's laptops with DDR3 have gotten RAM errors and either started BSODing randomly or freezing up, so I'm still kind of skeptical that RAM doesn't fail more often or rather sooner than the useful lifespan of the laptop itself...

Yes...let the Kpop flow through you...

I couldn't pass up the deal!

Have you/they tried MemTest86?

I cancelled my order...and re-bought it from JB Hi-Fi when they were doing the 10% off all Apple computers Black Friday sale. Just a couple more weeks...

It's a compromise.

Oof me jelly, what machine did you order?

We all like to poo poo Apple because we're not in their target market for one reason or another, but as a whole and considering the computing needs of the average customer, they probably make the finest laptops on the planet.

I'm starting to fall in love with this Thinkpad T420...well...apart from the cancerous screen. It greatly amuses me that I'm better off in terms of power consumption plugging in an iPad to consume media instead of letting the poor old Sandy Bridge chip decode YouTube video. 
tongue.gif

Actually I think the same is true for my Skylake ultrabook too....well didn't the recent A*whatever* SoC's have more trannies than a quad core Skylake or something like that?

As a newbie coder I feel more productive on a laptop keyboard with trackpoint than I do on the desktop, I like being able to target the cursor without having to leave the home row. Of course I'm sure a seasoned pro with great command over a mechanical keyboard can send their cursor anywhere in a 100000 line document faster than I can move this mouse across the screen, but alas, I'm no Dumbledore.

13" Touch Bar base model. 15" is 2pricey4me. 

Many people don't understand that if [insert Apple device here] doesn't suit their needs, doesn't have a certain feathre or they don't like it, there are many other alternatives out there. But people who do complain acknowledge [insert Apple device here] is their best candidate.

Something like that. Transistor count isn't everything though, architecture and instruction set is usually more important.

I think this time round Microsoft is doing better when it comes to targeting niche markets

I hope they make a smaller (21.5"-24"), cheaper Surface Studio-style all-in-one. Those things are beautiful. Apple needs to step up (or step down) their iMac bezel game.

Upgrading storage and RAM is something that 90%+ of PC users don't ever do during the course of the computer's lifetime*. And SSDs and RAM these days virtually lasts forever and probably won't even be in the top 5 things that break if a machine were to break. With laptops, it's usually the lid hinge, screen, HDD, OS or DC jack.

On one hand, soldered SSDs and RAM is nearly impossible to replace, but on the other, it enables more compact designs and increased security (e.g. the SSD can't be physically removed from the machine in order to extract data using another machine, and the RAM is basically impervious to a cold boot attack). It's a compromise.

*estimate based on data from me making that number up just now, sorry. It's just a guess, anyone want to make a better one?

Yep, I agree on that. The Hp dv7 I owned had the option to upgrade HDD and ram with easy access, but I never upgrade it. 
tongue.gif

So I'm ok with the soldered SSDs and RAM as trade-off between slimmer, lighter design and service accessibility,

but looking at their heat sink and as the review told that the fan won't fully on unless the CPU is really really really hot,
I don't think it is good for those solder and battery also other parts. 
frown.gif

Yep, definitely, which is really unfortunate because they're so bloody expensive. But alas, there are enough rich stupid people who see Apple products as a status symbol that they'll keep buying the newest model every single year regardless of how good/bad it is.

Oh and hey another HKer on the thread! Welcome!!

My brother owned a MBP A1286, a year 2011 model I believe?
A nicely build machine and still working! I think Apple is Okay back then. 

Hi there! 
wink_face.gif

I believe MacBooks also make use of the aluminum unibody as part of the cooling system. The area between the top of the keyboard and the screen hinge gets pretty hot under load. The battery is on the opposite end of the unibody, so it's not a big deal. They might even be passively cooled by the unibody as well.

The first unibody MacBook had a nice design that allowed for an easily accessible HDD and battery bay. But that only lasted one model I think.

davids-macbook-7.jpg

The reason being:

that's what i think... and the 10% off mac book lol, so jelly... you should install the nyancat bar 

The most important feature of the Touch Bar.

Upgrading storage and RAM is something that 90%+ of PC users don't ever do during the course of the computer's lifetime*. And SSDs and RAM these days virtually lasts forever and probably won't even be in the top 5 things that break if a machine were to break. With laptops, it's usually the lid hinge, screen, HDD, OS or DC jack.

On one hand, soldered SSDs and RAM is nearly impossible to replace, but on the other, it enables more compact designs and increased security (e.g. the SSD can't be physically removed from the machine in order to extract data using another machine, and the RAM is basically impervious to a cold boot attack). It's a compromise.

*estimate based on data from me making that number up just now, sorry. It's just a guess, anyone want to make a better one?

Probably closer to 98%+.

It's mostly the compact designs because most of the attacks are digital rather than having physical access to the machine. The few ones that are physical and common (USB's that load keyloggers and etc. on) are really hard to prevent.

Although by compact I really mean fitting in a larger battery (VAIO's Z-Engine is a good example of how small laptop motherboards can get). There's little reason to go lower than 16mm-ish.

Anyways Apple seems to be trying to separate video and photo work between the iPad Pro and MacBook Pro/iMac, or moreso they want people who draw/use a pencil to buy an iPad Pro to use along their Mac because the iPad Pro is really just a companion device unlike the Surface Pro 4 which is a full computer regardless of how much Apple wants to advertise it as a laptop (although the iPad Pro nor the Macs support AdobeRGB since DCI-P3 and AdobeRGB 1998 have a relatively small overlap...70% or so? Anyways since most print/photography is based around AdobeRGB it's an issue).

That's true. Well, at least it's one less vector of attack for if the machine is lost/stolen or something.

Since Mac displays are calibrated and macOS supports per-pixel color correction has built-in color management, wouldn't AdobeRGB be a few clicks away?

DKMumIX.png

This. Most ALL MacBook Pros have 8 GB RAM installed. Why anyone would want to "upgrade" their RAM is beyond me. If you even think you'll need 16, in which most people don't, then you would have looked at other laptops from the get go.

Internal storage? Okay maybe? External HDDs are dirt cheap nowadays though, so that's really no excuse; literally on Amazon there's 1 TB HDDs that are less than $60, 5 TB ones less than $150. 512 GB internal SSD has served me well in the past 4 years. Sure, I would have liked more, but that's because I put stupid-large HD music files on my computer, and record with lossless FRAPS in Windows, but without those I'd be just fine, like 99.9% of people out there.

The reduced battery life of the new MacBook Pro seems really idiotic. I have a 4-year-old MacBook Pro (I bought it on Black Friday 2012), and it still gets 6+ hours of battery life. A brand new MacBook Pro getting less than that seems really, really non-Apple. That coupled with the touch strip seems really, really non-Apple. Steve Jobs would not have approved of the touch strip because of how un-ergonomic it is.

The 15" has 16 GB as standard too. And why upgrade, when you can simply download more RAM?

It certainly would be handy to have more internal storage, but 256 GB is more than enough for speed-dependent things like OS and software.

For what it's worth, the Touch Bar is more ergonomic than any touchscreen Windows machine out there.

Yeah first thing I always hear about the trackpad is failed palm rejection.

That's where my palms rest on the 2012 MacBook Pro Retina Display; the red outline is where my palms would rest with the bigger Trackpad.

whywouldyoudothat.jpg

According to DetroitBorg, the palm rejection should be excellent. Which is no surprise. I think it's adaptive and more aggressive when you're typing, because the mouse cursor disappears when you type. I've never seen it move when I intentionally brush my palms across it, and it doesn't click either. Apple has nailed their trackpad for about a decade now. What I am concerned about is possibly spotty three-finger drag operation.

You can't upgrade your machine and if broken? Just replace it. And their heat sink looks really s__ks.

Sucks is allowed
smile.gif

Don't mind if I do 
bigsmile_face.gif

200.gif

Dec 4, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #170,291 of 177,750
5 year old laptop, so going strong. Unless it dies, it's starting on my desk for work.

I'm still using my 4 yr old MBP for work too (couldn't do away with Apple entirely because my work consists of writing Mac Apps)

beefed up with 8G RAM and a 128GB SSD along the way and it's still very nice to use on the latest OS X.

I also rip all my CDs on this laptop because.... it's my only machine with a CD drive now lol.

Dec 4, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #170,292 of 177,750
  The first unibody MacBook had a nice design that allowed for an easily accessible HDD and battery bay. But that only lasted one model I think.

back in the days when Macbooks are white, I bring a spare battery pack to school instead of a charger~

good ol' days (not really, they suck after 300 charge cycles.... if I charge my laptop everyday, that's less than a year)

but still, I could replace the battery and HDD with my bare hands back then.

Dec 4, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #170,293 of 177,750

back in the days when Macbooks are white, I bring a spare battery pack to school instead of a charger~

good ol' days (not really, they suck after 300 charge cycles.... if I charge my laptop everyday, that's less than a year)

Sweet! I wish the newer MacBooks had a battery indicator.

dLF6KygThyYNdyCS.medium

Dec 4, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #170,294 of 177,750
  I believe MacBooks also make use of the aluminum unibody as part of the cooling system. The area between the top of the keyboard and the screen hinge gets pretty hot under load. The battery is on the opposite end of the unibody, so it's not a big deal. They might even be passively cooled by the unibody as well.

Since Mac displays are calibrated and macOS supports per-pixel color correction has built-in color management, wouldn't AdobeRGB be a few clicks away?

DKMumIX.png
For what it's worth, the Touch Bar is more ergonomic than any touchscreen Windows machine out there.

According to DetroitBorg, the palm rejection should be excellent. Which is no surprise. I think it's adaptive and more aggressive when you're typing, because the mouse cursor disappears when you type. I've never seen it move when I intentionally brush my palms across it, and it doesn't click either. Apple has nailed their trackpad for about a decade now. What I am concerned about is possibly spotty three-finger drag operation.

It's not exactly intentional; it's just the nature of aluminum as well as the proximity of the heat generating components to the aluminum. They don't want to use the aluminum as a heatsink because it would make surface temperatures quite uncomfortable (they already get pretty high) but it's not like they put an insulating layer on the panel either. Besides from what I can see the thermal mass on their heatsinks are usually higher than most other laptops of the same size class (part of that is due to the fact that they use the 28W part while most other people use 15W counterparts. In fact the only other laptop with the 28W parts are the VAIO Z laptops last time I checked).

The panels themselves to my knowledge can't display AdobeRGB colors. Just because the option is there doesn't guarantee the hardware supports it (Ex. running a game at 120fps when you have a 60Hz monitor, putting on an AdobeRGB color profile while using an sRGB monitor). You can only display 77% of AdobeRGB to my knowledge. I checked Notebookcheck's reviews of the 13" and 15" 2016's and from the looks of it that's the largest color space the panel supports (the colorimeter software usually checks the very limits of the monitor instead of what it's set to as far as I understand but take that with a grain of salt).

Yeah but they're not really convenient considering it breaks your attention every time you have to look down at the bar. I can't imagine constantly having to swap between two screens to perform one function on just one screen is a very efficient way of doing things. At least with full touchscreens (ex. tablets) you interact with the screen that you see the immediate changes on. I want to love the touchbar; I was down with the idea of it when Lenovo first tried it on the ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 2 but it's just never going to be a great solution unless some heavy constraints are put into place. There's no haptic feedback (which is already a huge blow to its usability because at least with haptic feedback you can develop muscle memory much faster and with much higher confidence) and there's no consistency between applications and how they take advantage of the touch bar. There's no standardized template from what I can tell as how to lay out the touch bar. That's free for developers to do and since it's going to be used almost every imaginable way possible as far as layout goes it makes it quite strenuous to have to try to subconciously remember the button placement of each application you use in the long rung. I hope the rumors of their acquisition of Sonder goes through because that's a better solution than having a Touchbar (but keep TouchID, that's useful). As of now, keyboard shortcuts have a much higher learning curve for more advanced programs but are really efficient if you take the time to learn them. I think using something like Sonder's e-ink adaptive keyboard it can lower the learning curve for keyboard shortcuts while still maintaining the haptic feedback and consistency advantage of a regular keyboard.

But people are still complaining about it so it's not perfect; it's instead a step back because beforehand there were 0 issues with the trackpad. Now they've introduced more by making it unnecessarily large. I think larger than before would have been okay but not to this scale. At this size it might as well be a small drawing tablet built into the keyboard deck.

It's becoming less of a need since the battery life is approaching the point where you can usually last through a full work day (albeit it's not great for things like full on traveling without outlets but as far as I'm aware lots of planes and buses have outlets now so...camping? Although I don't know why you would bring your laptop with you as you go camping). The only times you have to manually swap them out nowadays is either due to defect or aging in the long term.

That and Apple gets to get more profits from repairs and prevents most people from messing things up using 3rd party battery packs that can be harmful.

Dec 4, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #170,295 of 177,750
The 15" has 16 GB as standard too. And why upgrade, when you can simply download more RAM?

BUT I DON'T WANT TO DOWNLOAD MORE RAM I WANT MORE REM REM REM!!!

http://www.downloadmorerem.com/

MORE DANCING LOLIS TOO!!!!!!!!

http://loli.dance/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back