「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Oct 11, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #168,946 of 177,745

I didn't mean it wins in every category or anything. Your 007 (especially with the STAX amp holding it back) probably sounds pretty laid-back compared to the HE6. It's easy for other headphones to have a more spacious soundstage, more dynamic and impactful sound, and so on. But those things, on their own, don't make them sound more realistic to me.

There is also the Cavalli LL2 so KGSSHV is not the only option.

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #168,948 of 177,745
  But I'd rather save my pennies for this one. Look at the size of that amp with a built-in DAC too.

That is hawt. But I'm going to attempt to sway the conversation back to anime now.

Having seen somewhere around 6,000 episodes of anime, you'd think I had a handle on things, but nooo...

There are nearly 900 titles on my plan to watch list. Today I picked potential candidates to perhaps watch in the near future.

Air, Akira, Angel's Egg, anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day, The Animatrix, The Beast Claw, Black Lagoon, Blood Lad, Bubblegum Crisis, Carnival Phantasm, Claymore, Demon Lord Dante, Devilman, The Disappearance Of Haruhi Suzumiya, Eden Of The East, ef ~ A Tale Of Melodies, Encouragement Of Climb, Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya, Fate/stay night, Final Fantasy: Unlimited, Flowers Of Evil, From The New World, Gantz, Ghost Stories, Grave Of The Fireflies, Guilty Crown, Heaven's Lost Property, Hell Girl, Hellsing, High School DxD, Into The Forest Of Fireflies' Light, The Irregular At Magic High School, Kanon, Kill La Kill, KINMOZA!, Kino's Journey, Kokoro Connect, Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions, Lucky☆Star, Midori, Mushishi, Noragami, OreImo, Paranoia Agent, Planetarian, Riddle Story Of Devil, Serial Experiments Lain, The Skull Man, Sound! Euphonium, Space Dandy, Sunday Without God, Tekkonkinkreet, Tokyo Ghoul, Urotsukidoji, Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories, Your Lie In April, YuriYuri: Happy Go Lily

...And that's the *short* list. Gah...too many choices!

Oct 11, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #168,949 of 177,745
  But I'd rather save my pennies for this one. Look at the size of that amp with a built-in DAC too.

That one is like ADC + DSP + DAC poi.. yes, analog inputs get converted to digital first.

Oct 11, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #168,951 of 177,745
I swear, my system sounds way better at night sometimes. Could be cleaner power, biology, or perhaps other factors.

Isn't the 009 under 3k on its own?

Originally $5,250 in the US; currently $3,825. If imported from Japan via PriceJapan.com, the current price is under $3,300. The price there fluctuates depending on the value of the Japanese Yen. Lowest I've seen it was somewhere between $2,600 and $2,800. Don't recall exactly. If you go to a shop in Japan in person and get lucky, you may be able to find prices about that low. Anyway, general consensus among the most experienced owners is that the 009 requires a very expensive amp and source to sound its best, though it can certainly work on affordable electronics.

Oct 11, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #168,952 of 177,745
  I swear, my system sounds way better at night sometimes. Could be cleaner power, biology, or perhaps other factors.

Originally $5,250 in the US; currently $3,825. If imported from Japan via PriceJapan.com, the current price is under $3,300. The price there fluctuates depending on the value of the Japanese Yen. Lowest I've seen it was somewhere between $2,600 and $2,800. Don't recall exactly. If you go to a shop in Japan in person and get lucky, you may be able to find prices about that low. Anyway, general consensus among the most experienced owners is that the 009 requires a very expensive amp and source to sound its best, though it can certainly work on affordable electronics.

Like at least a KGSSHV Carbon or a BHSE. An original Stax T2 is supposedly the best but costs 5 figures and has its own problems. A DIY T2 is another if you can find a builder or someone willing to sell theirs. There are other DIYs but not cheap, if you can even find a builder unless you have the know how and the equipment to make one.

Oct 11, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #168,953 of 177,745
  Like at least a KGSSHV Carbon or a BHSE. An original Stax T2 is supposedly the best but costs 5 figures and has its own problems. A DIY T2 is another if you can find a builder or someone willing to sell theirs. There are other DIYs but not cheap, if you can even find a builder unless you have the know how and the equipment to make one.

Are you posting this because you want to share it with everyone? 'Cause I've already known this stuff for a long time.

The DIY T2 has a superior power supply to the original SRM-T2 and is generally regarded as sounding the best.

But we really need to try to avoid turning this into a new STAX thread. haha

So let's talk about anime! You do watch anime, don't you?

Oct 11, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #168,954 of 177,745

Are you posting this because you want to share it with everyone? 'Cause I've already known this stuff for a long time.

The DIY T2 has a superior power supply to the original SRM-T2 and is generally regarded as sounding the best.

But we really need to try to avoid turning this into a new STAX thread. haha

So let's talk about anime! You do watch anime, don't you?

This is for everyone else. I've seen and read your posts in the Stax thread. I'm still waiting for your review of your very own SR-009, Stax T2, MSB DAC, and whatever else you plan to buy.

Oct 11, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #168,955 of 177,745
Good luck with that    
deadhorse.gif

Oct 11, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #168,956 of 177,745
I hope you don't abandon your dream of the 009 entirely!

I don't know. I had the chance to listen to them at the end of September before making my decision but in the end I went with the less hassle option; keeping HD800.

Which probably means £3.8k the way things go with the cross continental mark-up, shipping, taxes and political betting on brexit schiiting on the USD->GBP exchange rate. Stats cost so bloody much in the UK, pretty much the only good thing is at least it's not Australian pricing, but they can ship from singapore/HK/japan pretty hassle free.

Probably for the best, need a car more than I need a 3k headphone.

Goddammit, right. Even the Ether costs 1790€ from Mrspeakers Europe and I think the Flow is 1990€. The Ether Estats gonna kill us. Might even close to the price of new 009.

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #168,957 of 177,745
Watching videos in the Google Cardboard video player is very interesting. It's like you're in a movie theater!

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #168,958 of 177,745
I don't know. I had the chance to listen to them at the end of September before making my decision but in the end I went with the less hassle option; keeping HD800.

Honestly there's no reason if you're content with the sound of the HD800s.

The marginal utility of more expensive headphones drops off really quickly due to the fact that the added money for "better" sound isn't a linear curve but starts to flatten out instead so for the majority of people there's no reason to ever go past mid-range headphones. They just simply will never notice the difference unless critical listening is their hobby or part of their job.

That and there's no common metric of good, much like how someone could like the K712 and hate something much more expensive like the HD800s.

Sound signature wise technically there is a metric of good but it's a very general metric (Harmon Kardon target response curve and a bunch of other tangible measurements) since there are people who actually prefer a v-shaped sound signature or something else over a natural sounding one.

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #168,959 of 177,745
  Watching videos in the Google Cardboard video player is very interesting. It's like you're in a movie theater!

That looks like a funky setup of how TV's were set up a long time ago in store displays.

I assume it autoplays and zooms in if you stare at one of the thumbnails of another video (or are those stills from preset seek times?) for awhile.

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #168,960 of 177,745
That is hawt. But I'm going to attempt to sway the conversation back to anime now.

Having seen somewhere around 6,000 episodes of anime, you'd think I had a handle on things, but nooo...

There are nearly 900 titles on my plan to watch list. Today I picked potential candidates to perhaps watch in the near future.

Air, Akira, Angel's Egg, anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day, The Animatrix, The Beast Claw, Black Lagoon, Blood Lad, Bubblegum Crisis, Carnival Phantasm, Claymore, Demon Lord Dante, Devilman, The Disappearance Of Haruhi Suzumiya, Eden Of The East, ef ~ A Tale Of Melodies, Encouragement Of Climb, Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya, Fate/stay night, Final Fantasy: Unlimited, Flowers Of Evil, From The New World, Gantz, Ghost Stories, Grave Of The Fireflies, Guilty Crown, Heaven's Lost Property, Hell Girl, Hellsing, High School DxD, Into The Forest Of Fireflies' Light, The Irregular At Magic High School, Kanon, Kill La Kill, KINMOZA!, Kino's Journey, Kokoro Connect, Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions, Lucky☆Star, Midori, Mushishi, Noragami, OreImo, Paranoia Agent, Planetarian, Riddle Story Of Devil, Serial Experiments Lain, The Skull Man, Sound! Euphonium, Space Dandy, Sunday Without God, Tekkonkinkreet, Tokyo Ghoul, Urotsukidoji, Yamishibai: Japanese Ghost Stories, Your Lie In April, YuriYuri: Happy Go Lily

...And that's the *short* list. Gah...too many choices!

Soooo... See you in about a year?

That list needs some more Satoshi Kon paprika.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back