「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge
Oct 10, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #168,901 of 177,745
  And the HE1k won't die out even sooner? :D

I dunno if it would be that huge of a problem or not, I guess if you were worried, why not just buy a dehumidifier unit and put it in the same area as where you store your STAX?

Daaaayum, nice! You actually found some IEMs you liked :p

:O

It's fairly impractical to do that :O

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #168,903 of 177,745

Yeah believe it or not, I only listened to them for like 2 minutes at their CanJam booth before asking about how much it cost and stuff since they sounded so similar to the SR-207 frequency response-wise.

Literally 1 balanced armature in them, and I like them more than in-ears with 12938713098 drivers; AND it achieves a basically perfect diffuse field HRTF as shown in the individually-matched, serialized earpieces.

I asked the sales rep who the target audience is usually for these in-ears and he said mostly engineers (sound, mixing, etc.); musicians usually order more colored sound to suit their needs, hence why UE11 is basically for bass players or drummers so they can hear their bass notes more clearly. I can totally believe that.

The triple-flange tips work out for me too. Spinfit is shallow insert and itches after a while; Comply gets moist; pretty much all other silicone tips get itchy; these triple-flange ones worked for me through the entire 2-hour flight plus the hour and a half of waiting around before that.

Show price was 10% off plus another 10% for no tax basically.

The ER4-XR had too much bass for me and it seemed more U-shaped in sound because of that.

Daaayum, I'll have to try and find some sets of 'em over here to listen to before I leave! Sounds like I may like it as well, especially the XR model since I usually prefer a little bit more bass on-the-go. I heard the ER-4S before (or something) and always thought it sounded a little too "thick" compared to the stats if that makes sense. 
And yeah Ety's ear penetrator tips are pretty nice, especially because they isolate so freaking much compared to pretty much everything else out there.

Wow, that's a pretty good price especially considering how new they are! :O

And the HE1k won't die out even sooner? :D

I dunno if it would be that huge of a problem or not, I guess if you were worried, why not just buy a dehumidifier unit and put it in the same area as where you store your STAX?

:O

It's fairly impractical to do that :O

Even something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Dehumidifier-Portable-Moisture-Basement/dp/B01DC5PPWM/
Or even this if you're being cheap: https://www.amazon.com/Improved-Eva-dry-E-333-Renewable-Dehumidifier/dp/B000H0XFCS
I use the latter all the time in my safes, but I have to recharge them every 3 weeks or so at home and I live in a pretty dry climate so I bet they'd last about a week here XD

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #168,904 of 177,745
  Daaayum, I'll have to try and find some sets of 'em over here to listen to before I leave! Sounds like I may like it as well, especially the XR model since I usually prefer a little bit more bass on-the-go. I heard the ER-4S before (or something) and always thought it sounded a little too "thick" compared to the stats if that makes sense. 
And yeah Ety's ear penetrator tips are pretty nice, especially because they isolate so freaking much compared to pretty much everything else out there.

Even something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Dehumidifier-Portable-Moisture-Basement/dp/B01DC5PPWM/
Or even this if you're being cheap: https://www.amazon.com/Improved-Eva-dry-E-333-Renewable-Dehumidifier/dp/B000H0XFCS
I use the latter all the time in my safes, but I have to recharge them every 3 weeks or so at home and I live in a pretty dry climate so I bet they'd last about a week here XD

I actually have one of those BIG dehumidifiers that use reverse AC cycle to dehumidify and I have to empty the tank every morning when I used to use it (It came free with my old washing machine) ...

I COULD buy a peltier dry box but it's impractical because I might buy it to actually listen to it...

I also used to put a box of silica crystals in my old dry box for my cameras and every time I open it I have to basically throw all the crystals out.

Oct 10, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #168,905 of 177,745
When I had STAX (SR-207, SR-30, SRM-212, SRD-4), I never had any problems related to humidity, even when it got hot enough I had to blast the AC.

I wonder what the worst-case scenario would be. Although I have talked to countless STAX owners, this issue doesn't actually come up very often. Did a bit of research and found this, for what it's worth:

Really high humidity and hot weather CAN negatively impact all kinds of transducers- not just Stax drivers.  When it comes to Stax drivers, high humidity MIGHT cause the diaphragm coating to break down, and it can also weaken various adhesives used in various places in the driver and the headphones.  Poorly coated diaphragms will lose efficiency, and things like channel imbalance and maybe even distorted sound could result.  Only fix is a new driver.  Some folks have re-coated the diaphragms, but a recoated driver will have different electrical and acoustic characteristics, won't be a Stax driver (though it might be close in performance if you are really lucky and highly skilled.)

I am not even sure humidity is that much of an issue. You have to see how humid it gets here in the summer, i don't know if it competes with florida but it reminds me of DC in the summer. Stax gear is at least designed to operate in Japan weather i would assume.

Oct 10, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #168,906 of 177,745

Yeah it's not a bad discount; I paid $314 total (normally $349).

And actually I was surprised with the bass response. I was talking to Muinarc after my purchase that I typically prefer the warmer sound signature when there's background noise since the background noise drowns out bass and causes you to turn up the music which makes the treble louder consequently. Like the iSINE 10, it has a warm sound signature and I've mentioned that I might get one since it has that preferred sound signature.

However, the triple-flange tips isolate so well that the bass drowning out problem is no longer the case for me at least. I was able to hear the bass pretty clearly on the airplane ride even at low volume levels, much lower perceived volume levels than when I listened to the PM-3s on the way to RMAF.

Oct 10, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #168,909 of 177,745
RMAF in my video interview. Lol

I just watched your video. All he said was that the cost of the system is $50,000 USD. He said nothing about the headphones not being available separately. It is unclear whether that option will remain.

Here are some links relating to the $9,999 for the headphones alone:
http://web.archive.org/web/20160213094132/http://stereoexchange.com/latest-news/hifimans-new-shangri-la
http://inearspace.com/2016/05/10/munich-high-end-2016-hifiman-settle-shangri-la

Oct 10, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #168,911 of 177,745
Well okay, if a primary source isn't good enough, (when I asked him directly off-camera since you brought that up), I don't know what will be more convincing. lol

I only commented on what was in the video interview, since that's where you said he said it. If he told you directly afterwards that they will not be available separately, that answers that.

Oct 10, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #168,912 of 177,745
Yeah he said at this time, they're only being sold as a paired system, similar to Orpheus or Sonoma Model One. When you order one, since they're custom-built, it takes 3 months to make. You'll also notice the CES amp design looks completely different from the current, production model, so that information is outdated already.

Oct 10, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #168,914 of 177,745
  Occultic seems interesting but by god some of the characters are annoying af.

Gosh, yes. The main character is jittery and his female sidekick acts like a dunce and has a ridiculous chest that isn't even attractive. Some of the more serious characters make up for it, though...similar to how Naruto is an annoying little brat but some of the other ninjas are bad-ass. [Disclaimer: I do not watch or particularly like Naruto.]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back