☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Jan 2, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #5,236 of 5,932

Until I personally hear something in the $1200 range, like a Black Widow or a MicroZOTL2, I'll be on the fence as to why a $600 upgrade could be beneficial.

I think if the hypothetical 'upgrade' kills all the noise on the single-ended output, I'm all for it. This would definitely increase the versatility of the amp.

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #5,237 of 5,932
One can definitely live happily ever after with the LC, if you can avoid the dreaded audiophile upgradidis bug...fatal to the bank account :)

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #5,238 of 5,932
One can definitely live happily ever after with the LC, if you can avoid the dreaded audiophile upgradidis bug...fatal to the bank account
smily_headphones1.gif

I think that is close to impossible 
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #5,239 of 5,932

I think that is close to impossible 
biggrin.gif

"Impossible" sounds like a fair verdict, especially if one continues to visit Head-fi.org, not to mention frequent CanJams and Meets...

Besides, how is one ever going to contain one's "audiophiliac" restlessness and fidgeting if one decided to be content with what one has, and stop believing that one can still get better performing gadgets out there... Sounds almost like a sacrilegious state of mind in the "audiophiliac playbook" if there is any such thing...

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #5,240 of 5,932
I think if the hypothetical 'upgrade' kills all the noise on the single-ended output, I'm all for it. This would definitely increase the versatility of the amp.

My Carbon is dead silent on both balanced and single ended. Hope you figure out the problem.

I have been thrilled to find the Carbon immune to the RFI and hum that has plagued both of my Woo amps in the same room.

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #5,241 of 5,932
Haven't noted noisy in either single ended or balanced either.

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #5,242 of 5,932
The hum in mine seems to build up.  When I turned the LC on this morning I listened with my Nighthawks SE for around 30-45 min and couldn't hear any hum between songs.  I then unplugged the Nighthawks, plugged my balanced HE-500 in to keep burning in the LC and just checked with the Nighthawk this afternoon and the hum has returned on the SE.  I turned the LC off, waited a minuted, turned it back on and the hum was there but very faint and within about 1 minute it was louder.  I still can't hear it over music unless it is a very quiet part of a song.

Could this hum cause any potential damage to anything either LC or headphones?  

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #5,243 of 5,932
My Carbon is dead silent on both balanced and single ended. Hope you figure out the problem.

I have been thrilled to find the Carbon immune to the RFI and hum that has plagued both of my Woo amps in the same room.

Haven't noted noisy in either single ended or balanced either.

Mine has a loud hum whenever balanced input is connected for any output mode. (Amp is on its way back to Dr. Cavalli.) Single-ended has no hum, but there is a very, very, low level buzz that is barely audible on the HD 600 but becomes more intrusive with the NAD VISO HP50. Maybe all the problems will be solved when I get it back - fingers crossed!

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #5,244 of 5,932
I can most definitely pick up low level hum through single ended IEM usage but it's not an issue since it pretty much vanishes when music's playing. 

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #5,245 of 5,932
I had initially set up mine in an electrically noisy environment close to my computer equipment. I've now moved it onto my dedicated AV circuit and the hum is much reduced. There's still a little on the SE output when I turn the volume up high. Grounding the Emotiva via the LC using a phono lead between SE connections reduces it to almost nothing.

Jan 3, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #5,246 of 5,932
Had my Carbon sitting in the office for a couple of weeks as I had been away on holidays and just picked it up today.

All I can say is that even just before burning the thing in, I like it.

It gives my HE500 (my only open full sized headphones wired for balanced) a "warmer" sound than straight out of the Pulse X Infinity. It's not that it sounds particular warm as an amp and its not a night and day difference but it is (confirmation bias or not) in my mind preferable to listen to the HE500 out of the Carbon than out of the head amp section of the infinity. 

Also have the Sony XBA-H3 in balanced (kobiconn) setup and it sounds dead quiet.

None of these are particularly efficient, but I am going to burn in the Carbon for about 150 hours before listening in SE mode (per Dr Cavalli's suggestion) otherwise the amp sections of the Carbon which are only engaged in balanced mode will be burning in at different rates.

Jan 3, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #5,247 of 5,932
Congratulations! You are now a proud owner of the highly anticipated Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon Balanced Transportable Headphone Amplifier!

Serial number 494 is here via fedex ground.

Jan 3, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #5,250 of 5,932
  Congratulations! You are now a proud owner of the highly anticipated Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon Balanced Transportable Headphone Amplifier!

Serial number 494 is here via fedex ground.

Still no movement on mine. Honestly it wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't charged us before shipping them and refunds weren't an option. Basically you either just have to deal with it or go the dirty route of filing a PayPal dispute/doing a chargeback.

I don't even have plans to keep mine at this point though (I've already ordered a Ragnarok instead) so really it's just delaying someone else from enjoying the LC. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back