☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Nov 16, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #3,976 of 5,932
I just had a quick listen with the Chord Hugo as the DAC. And yes I know according to the Manual, the Carbon needs  a good burning in of around 150 hours. But straight out of the box I can say that the wait was well worth it. The "engagement level" to quote the famous "Currawong" is through the roof! And I would recommend for Chord to have their amps designed by the good Dr Cavalli from now on. I did not know, how much was missing. Lets see how much improvement is yet to come through the burning in process. Most amps "mellow out" a little. 

What mode are you using the Hugo in? Is the volume still adjustable on the Hugo or is it a fixed line out?

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #3,978 of 5,932
@defbear
, Having tried and knowing the signature of both the detailed Bifrost Uber and the semi-dark LC, I would be they would be an even better pairing, if you dare to try yours with it...
No need to dare me, wild horses couldn't stop me.

Nov 16, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #3,979 of 5,932
  @defbear, Having tried and knowing the signature of both the detailed Bifrost Uber and the semi-dark LC, I would be they would be an even better pairing, if you dare to try yours with it...

Gents, not my place to be much part of this discussion and I won't be, but...

The meme was started a while back that the Carbon is dark or rolled off. I don't believe it is. Just sayin'.

Now back to the show.
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #3,980 of 5,932

Gents, not my place to be much part of this discussion and I won't be, but...

The meme was started a while back that the Carbon is dark or rolled off. I don't believe it is. Just sayin'.

Now back to the show.
biggrin.gif

Agree with Alex. Didn't find the LC "dark" at all. To each his (or her) own though. 

Cheers 

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #3,982 of 5,932
I don't think it's dark. Its spacious. Detailed and to be fair, not broken in. I was thinking the bifrost might be a bit edgy. I will try it later for fun. Listening to Lou Reed 'What's good'. Fernando Saunders is well represented. Lou wrote great songs and made some finely crafted recordings. I think what i'm hearing this evening is an amp that has a big soundstage and at the same time a very up front presentation. It's not 'bright' but it's not backing down. It rocks. I'v got it about half way up on the low setting with hd800's.

Nov 16, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #3,983 of 5,932
Any amp That is a friend of Lou's is a friend of mine!

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #3,984 of 5,932
The old statement that everybody who bought a Velvet Underground formed a band is somewhat true. I was one of them. God bless Lou Reed.

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #3,985 of 5,932
The old statement that everybody who bought a Velvet Underground formed a band is somewhat true. I was one of them. God bless Lou Reed.

And be sure not to forget to add the LC to your equipment list in your signature line! 

Maybe Warren could even cook up an "LC500" badge?
wink_face.gif

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #3,986 of 5,932
I suppose that was true for me as well, had a band in College as well, but we were mainly an instrument of torture...think many who heard us (and there weren't too many) wound up giving up listening to music!

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #3,988 of 5,932
I suppose that was true for me as well, had a band in College as well, but we were mainly an instrument of torture...think many who heard us (and there weren't too many) wound up giving up listening to music!
My high school band were covering the Velvets before they had their second album out. Today I play a lot of fingerstyle guitar and can do a nice Clapton impression.

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #3,989 of 5,932
Holy crap, #80 Carbon arrived today, along with a new cable for my new (used) HD800's w/Anax mod...  Listening to all of them for the 1st time!  Out of the box, smooth, tight, fast.  Hearing more air in my LCD 2.2's which surprised me, but the amp is holding the Audeze cadillac bottom end in good check.  So far so good, let the burn-in begin!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back