☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Oct 15, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #3,451 of 5,932
Having met, visited and eaten meals with Dr. Cavalli at three of the last four CanJam's I think he is an awesome person and makes wonderful products. It therefore makes my proud to support him and his company.

Jim

I'd second that Jim! Alex is indeed awesome. Cheers

Oct 15, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #3,453 of 5,932
Ordered mine on April 18 hope I won't have to wait till December.

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #3,454 of 5,932
Anyone have any recommendations for a synergistic DAC to pair with the LC? I'm thinking maybe the Bifrost MB, but it's only single ended so not too sure. Anyone have any real good combos they've tried with DACs that are less than $600?

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #3,456 of 5,932
  Anyone have any recommendations for a synergistic DAC to pair with the LC? I'm thinking maybe the Bifrost MB, but it's only single ended so not too sure. Anyone have any real good combos they've tried with DACs that are less than $600?

LC converts SE input to balanced output so Bifrost MB is a fine choice in that price range. I am a total covert to R2R DACs though. I personally think this whole SE versus balanced debate is on the same level as 16/44 tracks versus 24/96. If there are differences, it's pretty small.

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #3,457 of 5,932

http://www.head-fi.org/t/763905/finding-a-dac-for-the-cavalli-liquid-carbon-only-four-months-to-go

There's a thread for that!

Oct 15, 2015 at 8:45 PM Post #3,458 of 5,932
LC converts SE input to balanced output so Bifrost MB is a fine choice in that price range. I am a total covert to R2R DACs though. I personally think this whole SE versus balanced debate is on the same level as 16/44 tracks versus 24/96. If there are differences, it's pretty small.

Some dacs are se and balanced out. My Hegel which has both highly recommends using the balanced out, as it was designed better . Nothing against the se versus balanced carbon phase stuff, but after spending alot of dollars on a dac, I think I will use their recommendations. An inferior dac may not matter.

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #3,459 of 5,932
Some dacs are se and balanced out. My Hegel which has both highly recommends using the balanced out, as it was designed better . Nothing against the se versus balanced carbon phase stuff, but after spending alot of dollars on a dac, I think I will use their recommendations. An inferior dac may not matter.

He was referring to balanced vs SE in theory.  For any given piece of equipment in practice, it will be designed to run best in SE or balanced mode.

If "inferior" equipment uses SE, I wonder why the Liquid Crimson costs 4-5x the Liquid Carbon...

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #3,460 of 5,932
He was referring to balanced vs SE in theory.  For any given piece of equipment in practice, it will be designed to run best in SE or balanced mode.

If "inferior" equipment uses SE, I wonder why the Liquid Crimson costs 4-5x the Liquid Carbon...
z
I said an inferior dac. I didnt compare the crimson to the carbon. Your inferior equipment quote about the carbon to the crimson came from ??
I stand by original post, when it comes to my dac. You can read anything you want to in it.

Oct 16, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #3,462 of 5,932
z
I said an inferior dac. I didnt compare the crimson to the carbon. Your inferior equipment quote about the carbon to the crimson came from ??
I stand by original post, when it comes to my dac. You can read anything you want to in it.

Of course you use the best output from your DAC, whether it's balanced or single ended. The Bifrost multi bit is ONLY single ended, so the best (and only) output is the single ended output. One of the great things about the Liquid Carbon is that it doesn't matter whether the best output from your DAC is single ended or balanced, the LC will make the best of both.

Oct 16, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #3,463 of 5,932
  Of course you use the best output from your DAC, whether it's balanced or single ended. The Bifrost multi bit is ONLY single ended, so the best (and only) output is the single ended output. One of the great things about the Liquid Carbon is that it doesn't matter whether the best output from your DAC is single ended or balanced, the LC will make the best of both.

+1

This may be hard to wrap our heads around.  Most DAC's I know that offer both SE and balanced compromise the SE in one way or another.  It's a design choice, and a pragmatic one at that. But in "theory" there's not much difference. IME, in practice, it's a whole other story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back