☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Sep 1, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #3,181 of 5,932
I'm in the middle of getting cables, want balanced for LC and also for Pono. Have to be sure about the balanced out on the LC, it's the Ray Samuels mini connector, correct? No full size connector?

Sep 1, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #3,182 of 5,932
I'm in the middle of getting cables, want balanced for LC and also for Pono. Have to be sure about the balanced out on the LC, it's the Ray Samuels mini connector, correct? No full size connector?

It's the RSA as well as the 4-pin XLR. So you can either get RSA cables or get a 4-pin XLR to ____ adapter. I personally have a Norne 4-pin XLR to 2.5mm TRRS adapter that allows me to play my K10's balanced from any amp with a balanced XLR headphone jack. Maybe you could get an XLR 4-pin to dual 3.5mm TRS for your Pono?

Cheers

Sep 1, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #3,183 of 5,932

It's the RSA as well as the 4-pin XLR. So you can either get RSA cables or get a 4-pin XLR to ____ adapter. I personally have a Norne 4-pin XLR to 2.5mm TRRS adapter that allows me to play my K10's balanced from any amp with a balanced XLR headphone jack. Maybe you could get an XLR 4-pin to dual 3.5mm TRS for your Pono?

Cheers

That's what I'm sorting out...I also have a Norne Zoetic cable for my HE-1000, ends in the 4-pin XLR, and I already have 2 adaptors Norne made terminated for Pono and single ended so I can use the HEK with the other gear I have. So, I already have the adaptors, now I want balanced cables for my acs Encores. They, of course, use their own cables, made by Linum, and they don't termnate in this way. So, I'm trying to figure out the best adaptor to use for the Linum balanced. Seems like the 4-pin works, since I already have cables for that.
Thanks

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #3,184 of 5,932
Still trying to decide whether to use the Neutrik 4-pin XLR or go with something else with my cables.

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #3,185 of 5,932
  Still trying to decide whether to use the Neutrik 4-pin XLR or go with something else with my cables.

I asked this question a bit ago and the consensus was to go with Neutrik 4-pin XLR for full-size headphones and RSA for IEMs.

The XLR is a bigger, more sturdy connector overall, and RSA is angled and can be awkward for a full-size headphone. It'll still work, but it's mostly size-related. You don't want a giant XLR connector on a small earphone, but the straight and sturdy XLR is good for full-size.

XLR outputs are also much more common than RSA, so you gain flexibility with that connector.

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #3,186 of 5,932
You can easily have the Kobiconn made straight when have a cable made. For me, and I have XLR, I much prefer the Kobiconn on my headphones as it is light, much less metal in the signal path and will hold up just as well as a large heavy XLR. I am using the Whiplash to Kobicon and from it I can have any plush I want, from 3.5, 1/4 inch or if needed, an XLR. 

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #3,187 of 5,932

I asked this question a bit ago and the consensus was to go with Neutrik 4-pin XLR for full-size headphones and RSA for IEMs.

The XLR is a bigger, more sturdy connector overall, and RSA is angled and can be awkward for a full-size headphone. It'll still work, but it's mostly size-related. You don't want a giant XLR connector on a small earphone, but the straight and sturdy XLR is good for full-size.

XLR outputs are also much more common than RSA, so you gain flexibility with that connector.

I mean what brand; there's no doubt that I'll keep using the 4-pin XLR. 

Sep 1, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #3,189 of 5,932
I just went with the 4-pin, spoke to Ted Allen (very nice-you can search him in Head-Fi ), could do either, is more secure. Once you're connected to the amp, shouldn't make too much difference if it's smaller or bigger (I needed it as an extension/adaptor from a Linum balanced cable for a acs Encore-boy, what a pain-originally terminated for A & K). Probably OK either way.

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #3,190 of 5,932
Hey gents, I know that many of you are anxious to know where things stand. Please give me a few more days to gather more concrete info. At this point in the process I don't want to speculate for you all, but have the best data that I can get.

Thanks.

Sep 1, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #3,191 of 5,932
  @BucketInABucket

I got these:
http://www.markertek.com/product/nc4mxx-b/neutrik-nc4mxx-b-4-pin-xlr-m-cable-connector-black-shell-gold-contacts

And this to make an adapter so I can still use the headphones with TRS:
http://www.markertek.com/product/nc4fx-b/neutrik-nc4fx-b-xlr-female-4-pin-black-gold 

Yea, I used those too. Was curious as to whether people use anything else though.

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #3,193 of 5,932
The most recent estimate (a week or two ago) was that they'll start shipping in September sometime because there was a delay with one of the parts suppliers.  We haven't gotten any updates since, but I suspect that's simply because they're waiting for the parts to come in before giving us an updated timeline.

Sounds good thanks for the update. appreciate it.

Sep 1, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #3,195 of 5,932
  Hey gents, I know that many of you are anxious to know where things stand. Please give me a few more days to gather more concrete info. At this point in the process I don't want to speculate for you all, but have the best data that I can get.

Thanks.

Thanks for the info just can't wait. Well I guess I have too :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back