☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Aug 29, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #3,166 of 5,932
I never compared the performance between the two, I only stated that I like being able to use more than one output. Read the context of my comments before jumping on me.

Andl, the funny thing is... The RCA's go to my Elekit, and the balanced go to my MJ2. The Elekit is only SE in and out, but sounds better than the MJ2 balanced in, SE out...MJ2 balanced out is on the same level, and no I don't intend to try the MJ2 SE in.

I sincerely apologize if you thought I was jumping on you. That was not my intention at all. I was simply pointing out that the two outputs sound different so you can't make any assumptions about the sound of equipment plugged into different ports.

In a subjective hobby like this, it's important to be as objective as possible when we actually can.

Aug 29, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #3,167 of 5,932
I sincerely apologize if you thought I was jumping on you. That was not my intention at all. I was simply pointing out that the two outputs sound different so you can't make any assumptions about the sound of equipment plugged into different ports.

In a subjective hobby like this, it's important to be as objective as possible when we actually can.

OK,but I was never comparing anything. I quoted another member that liked the fact he could run multiple amps off his GMB.

Aug 29, 2015 at 2:30 PM Post #3,168 of 5,932
This difference in sound quality is worrying to me.  I like the Gumby because of the multiple outputs it has to offer.  I will use one rca output to a preamp and speakers, the other to my speaker amp for HE-6 and finally balanced to Liquid Carbon when that arrives.  Ideally a master 1 preamp would solve everything but one thing at a time.

Aug 29, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #3,169 of 5,932
OK,but I was never comparing anything. I quoted another member that liked the fact he could run multiple amps off his GMB.

Great, then I clearly wasn't talking to you so there's even less need for you to be upset.  
beerchug.gif

Aug 29, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #3,170 of 5,932

Great, then I clearly wasn't talking to you so there's even less need for you to be upset.  
beerchug.gif

I'm using the balanced and RCA line out's simultaneously, and I'm loving every minute of it.

QUOTE by Stillhart: When using the LC to test the balanced vs RCA on the GMB, it's very clear that the SE output sounds worse than the balanced.  Thanks to the phase splitter, the relative volume doesn't change at all and you can very clearly hear the changes to the sound.  The bass stays EXACTLY the same volume and the mids just suck right out.  This was confirmed by @MattTCG, tho he had to manually volume match.

I'd really caution you about comparing anything when using the different outputs on the GMB.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you quote someone, the response is directed at them.

Anyways....
confused.gif

Aug 29, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #3,171 of 5,932
Sometimes I quote a post, but my part of the post is addressing everybody. For example I just quoted somebody who doesn't like LED's in headphones, and I quoted to reference the topic but I just said to everybody "I think LEDs add a little heat and complexity without benefit."

To you, jk, I'd just say Stillhart probably was quoting but not picking on you, and just cautioning the head-go community at large. IMO some headphones/music genres might benefit from a mids reduction, so it's a difference but good/bad is up to the opinion of the beholder.

Aug 29, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #3,172 of 5,932
Gents, I think I need to say a few things here just to be sure that all is clear. I think that Stillhart is trying to  make sure that things are clear.
biggrin.gif
Edit: Oh, and what JK-47 is trying to say too.

The phase splitter on the Carbon is pretty good and quite faithful to what is coming into the SE inputs.  If a DAC has both Balanced and SE outs and IF these have the same SQ then I don't think you will be able to hear a difference between driving the Carbon SE or Bal. There probably is a slight difference because, after all, the signal is passing through more active elements when using the SE in with splitter, but may be below any audible threshold for most listeners with most headphones, if there at all.

OTOH, if the source's Bal and SE have different SQ then you should expect to hear this. But don't conclude that, if the SE is of lower quality, the splitter is causing this. It probably isn't. At the same time, the splitter cannot make up for lack of SQ in the SE signal that is coming in. It will put out a Bal signal as faithful to the SE input as it can but it won't try to fix it.

I can't speak for any other amps or even for the many really terrific choices there are for DACs, but I just want to be sure that it's clear what the Carbon is doing and what it isn't doing with respect to the Bal and SE inputs.

I hope this is useful and not redundant to the conversation.

Aug 29, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #3,173 of 5,932
^^^ Basically use the DAC's best output.  If the new Gungnir is best out of the balanced output, then by all means use that....

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #3,174 of 5,932
Yet more confirmation that I'll be happy to connect the DAC-19 SE to the Liquid Carbon. Thanks runeight, can't wait! :D

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #3,178 of 5,932
......I know.  Alex should be getting the volume pots this week.  Or they at least should ship to him this week.

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #3,180 of 5,932
The most recent estimate (a week or two ago) was that they'll start shipping in September sometime because there was a delay with one of the parts suppliers.  We haven't gotten any updates since, but I suspect that's simply because they're waiting for the parts to come in before giving us an updated timeline.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back