☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Jul 26, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #2,462 of 5,932
  Will this power cord work with the LC? http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10228&cs_id=1022801&p_id=5290&seq=1&format=2

any other recommendations?

A related question: I am currently based in the US but moving to EU in October. can I buy a US power cable and use it simply with a plug adapter in EU? (given that the LC supports 85-270 volts) or would it make more sense to buy a new cable?

Thanks!

You could buy one of the 500 dollar ones. Well that would be as much as the amp. :^) 

I do have one I made of hyper pure silver. 12 gauge flat silver of a special design with a grounded central core but that would be over the top and prohibitively expensive now days. Power cords are simple beasts. Having moved all over the world, I just use adapters myself. 

Jul 26, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #2,463 of 5,932
You could buy one of the 500 dollar ones. Well that would be as much as the amp. :^) 

I do have one I made of hyper pure silver. 12 gauge flat silver of a special design with a grounded central core but that would be over the top and prohibitively expensive now days. Power cords are simple beasts. Having moved all over the world, I just use adapters myself. 

So I see a lot of people buying cables from monoprice, they look like pretty sturdy cables etc. I am always curious the differences form a $500 xlr interconnect and power cord from the monoprice cords. I never think a power cord would matter too much for audio, but interconnects transfers analog signal ( correct me if I am wrong ) and should make a difference?

Ps. I tried upgraded headphones cables from furutech and it sounded different from oem cables that came with the headphones.

Jul 26, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #2,464 of 5,932
So I see a lot of people buying cables from monoprice, they look like pretty sturdy cables etc. I am always curious the differences form a $500 xlr interconnect and power cord from the monoprice cords. I never think a power cord would matter too much for audio, but interconnects transfers analog signal ( correct me if I am wrong ) and should make a difference?

Ps. I tried upgraded headphones cables from furutech and it sounded different from oem cables that came with the headphones.

d457eee98fa49806b120ec8f4b03a01f.gif

Jul 26, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #2,465 of 5,932

Yeah, there's a bit of a swamp to wade into, full of scary creatures and lots of different (and strongly contested) opinions. 

My 2cents = try different things and see what you like, and what fits your budget. 

My personal experience (yes, I'm wading into the swamp) = there can be a difference in cables, including (I'm going in deeper!) power cables. My personal favorites are the Cardas line, and I use their Golden Reference as my, well, my reference. And no, I've never bought them new, so have saved big $ that way. And also I've spent much more on them than some people would say is smart/wise/sane/whatever. However, I heard a difference, and it made me happy, so that's where I went. I have a set of Golden Reference XLR's awaiting my Cavalli LC, to be paired with my Geek Pulse X Infinity. 

Also in terms of headphone cables I personally like the Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3's and that's what I run my LCD-3's off of. In terms of IEM cables I'm a big fan of ALO Audio - that's what my K10's run. 

To each their own, and hopefully I won't get flamed too badly for sharing my opinion. 

Cheers and happy listening 

Jul 26, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #2,467 of 5,932

For some it opens up a can of worms, for others, they are convinced that some designs add to the quality of the sound. It can start a bunch of posts and counter posts as to what is heard or not heard. For myself, in comparing what might be a stock cable to an after market, I have heard benefits with some and not with others. You are are dealing with the electron flow and to deny that all material react the same to this and think that they will be treated the same by all materials seems to lack an understand of what is going on. But in the end, it works out best to figure out what you are after and if you are already satisfied with what you hear. The used market is a good place to start and it hurts less. 

Jul 26, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #2,468 of 5,932
I confirmed for myself that better cables (headphone, rca, usb) can make a difference.

However, if you spend $500 on a cable (bringing the cost with the LC to $1100), would you get as much improvement as you would buying a $1100 (or more expensive) amp?

At some point, imo, its more beneficial (if better sound is the goal) to spend that money on a better component. Got a feeling some might have spent enough overall to have gotten a Liquid Gold by now.

Jul 26, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #2,469 of 5,932
I posted this in the other thread, some here may be interested.

Audio advisor has the Pangea 14se MKII cables on sale. You can get a 1.5 meter cable for 65. 75% off IIRC.

The Pangea uses the Cardas Grade One Copper

They also have the black mamba II rca cables on sale, should anyone be interested.

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #2,470 of 5,932
Okay, personally, I have no doubt when it comes to the question as to whether aftermarket cables might bring some audible enhancements to the table that headphone manufacturer's stock cable might not have. I have verified that for myself on more than one occasion, and I always keep the originals in order to remind myself of the sq differences I have paid for, should any doubts arise.

However, the confusion does not end there : it would help if some standards could be consensually agreed upon, but the "cables" market is perhaps so plagued by controversy and charlatanism that it seems to generate only extreme opposing ideas.  Here is one basic questions for those who believe cables can make significant audible differences:

Between the usual labels which aftermarket cable makers usually assign to their products -- Cardas, furutech, Oyaide, Canare, Mogami, or pure silver etc. etc-- is there some consensus about the merits of each, or about which one performs best?  I think it would be helpful to know since this is probably one of the last places on the planet where you would always want to take the word of the manufacturers as "gospel."

Is there some objective ways in which one might weigh the merits of each brand name or model of aftermarket cable as described by their makers?  The philosophy according to which one must always "try them for oneself" does not always work well here, since there are many customers who cannot "try the cables," without buying them first, and since many of the cable manufacturers either do not accept returns or impose a "re-stocking fee" for them.  It would be nice to have some reliable ideas about the performance credentials of the cable one is getting before making any such purchase

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #2,471 of 5,932
Ah headphone utopia......

Cables are a very, very complex cocktail of strand count and thickness, material type, purity, resistance properties, insulation, etc.

And that's only if you're a believer.  Then add to the complex mix of going with one of a dozen balanced terminations versus single ended.

Then add to that, that every headphone responds differently to every variety of said cable combinations.

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #2,472 of 5,932
Well as with most anything on head fi the benefits are quite subjective. The benefits that one person see may differ from that of another.

If you are happy with your purchase for whatever reason then enjoy it. Your opinion is the only one that matters.

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:30 PM Post #2,473 of 5,932
  Ah headphone utopia......

Cables are a very, very complex cocktail of strand count and thickness, material type, purity, resistance properties, insulation, etc.

And that's only if you're a believer.  Then add to the complex mix of going with one of a dozen balanced terminations versus single ended.

Then add to that, that every headphone responds differently to every variety of said cable combinations.

exactly, and well said......
ksc75smile.gif

i had experience with only 5 cables...... NONE sound the same for me
L3000.gif

Jul 26, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #2,474 of 5,932
Okay, personally, I have no doubt when it comes to the question as to whether aftermarket cables might bring some audible enhancements to the table that headphone manufacturer's stock cable might not have. I have verified that for myself on more than one occasion, and I always keep the originals in order to remind myself of the sq differences I have paid for, should any doubts arise.

However, the confusion does not end there : it would help if some standards could be consensually agreed upon, but the "cables" market is perhaps so plagued by controversy and charlatanism that it seems to generate only extreme opposing ideas.  Here is one basic questions for those who believe cables can make significant audible differences:

Between the usual labels which aftermarket cable makers usually assign to their products -- Cardas, furutech, Oyaide, Canare, Mogami, or pure silver etc. etc-- is there some consensus about the merits of each, or about which one performs best?  I think it would be helpful to know since this is probably one of the last places on the planet where you would always want to take the word of the manufacturers as "gospel."

Is there some objective ways in which one might weigh the merits of each brand name or model of aftermarket cable as described by their makers?  The philosophy according to which one must always "try them for oneself" does not always work well here, since there are many customers who cannot "try the cables," without buying them first, and since many of the cable manufacturers either do not accept returns or impose a "re-stocking fee" for them.  It would be nice to have some reliable ideas about the performance credentials of the cable one is getting before making any such purchase

If you're in the U.S. there's a company called The Cable Company and they have a cable lending library. Check it out. Cheers

PS - The Cardas Golden Reference XLR cables I'm using are from my 2-channel system. Not sure I would pay that much (even used) on IC's to use on the LC if I hadn't already had them.

Jul 26, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #2,475 of 5,932

Imo, the only thing you can be certain of (for all brands you mentioned) is they sound better than most any stock cable.

Equipment manufacturers usually include the cheapest cables that work (or that they can get away with). I wish they'd include better cables and save us time searching the aftermarket but, for them, saving $10 per unit can add up. I bet if they did we'd still think the included cables weren't good enough. And unless ALL of us refuse to buy higher priced stuff with cheap cables, they will continue doing so.

Better than stock is still leaves a ton of variables but I think its up to each person to decide how much they're willing to spend on cables and how much better it sounds TO THEM vs another. That could mean infinite amounts of time trying to cover them all but isn't that what we already willingly do with amps, dacs, and headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back