☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Jun 14, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #1,906 of 5,932
  Is your receiver your amp and DAC?  Or are there separate components?  If they are 2 boxes, how do you connect them?

It's basically a home theater 5.1 receiver (one box).  However I'm operating it in stereo only mode, because it was specifically designed to offer superior two channel performance compared to most AVR's.  So yes, I'm using the internal DAC and amp via the speaker taps.  All sources are connected via HDMI and spdif.  This setup will eventually be replaced by the Yggy>>>XLR interconnects>>> Liquid Carbon>>>balanced XLR headphone out.

So I'm not having issues with XLR interconnects (which is what I believe Alex was thinking) because there are none.

It's the XLR balanced headphone cable to speaker taps that is picking up the static discharge.  The plastic box pictured in my first post is basically just an XLR to speaker tap adapter.  So I believe that I need to attach the shielding to the male XLR ground lug and then run a separate grounding line to the female XLR plug in the plastic box.  Even then I'm not convinced it will alleviate the issue, but I'm hoping it will at least simulate the same XLR headphone out grounding situation that will be present on the LC.  

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #1,907 of 5,932
I'm no expert...
Cables are usually shielded and wrapped in insulation, like rubber, so it's doubtful that contact between carpet on the ground and cable encased in insulation is where your electricity is arcing. Possibly between your ears and the driver, or maybe something in your headphone to speaker tap adapter isn't shielded or grounded. Connecting to the grounded connectors of the Liquid Carbon should have a safe connection to ground, and should be able to manage ESD events of "normal wear."

Of course, how much charge you're emitting on a regular basis (particularly in the dry winter) is hard to measure and average. It honestly might not be from the couch, the AVR amp might be charging you up (you big capacitor, you) through your headphones, and when you ground yourself to the carpet you release that energy. Makes more sense that way to me why it messes with your audio playback.

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #1,908 of 5,932
Argh, I've been shocked through my headphones myself. It sucks ass. For me, if my sheets on the bed are full of static, and I have my headphones on, the path is through my ears/drivers/amp to ground.

You could probably fix your situation by intentionally grounding yourself out periodically while you're in the chair. When you get up, you shouldn't have a potential to ground which might have otherwise gone through your cables.

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #1,910 of 5,932
@runeight

I am going to have a cable made would it be better to get it terminated as 4-pin xlr or rsa?

What is the cable for?

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #1,912 of 5,932

What is the cable for?

My headphones paradox minixlr connection.

4-pin XLR for sure then.  
smile.gif
  The only reason I'd go for the Kobiconn connector is if it was something small and light (like IEMs or a portable).

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #1,914 of 5,932
Any sound quality difference? Or is 4pin xlr just sturdier? I'm leaning towards the kubiconn,so I can add a rsa to 3.5mm jack adapter for portable use.

Both are 4 wire, so XLR is just far more rugged.  I have both, and prefer XLR for desktop listening...

Jun 14, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #1,915 of 5,932
It's hard to say exactly what's causing the discharge. It's never happened to me so I've never tried to track something like that down.

I agree with Warren though. There are actually 5 pins on the 4 pin XLR - the four signal wires and the shell/shield. On the Carbon all of the shells of the XLR connectors are connected to the metal ground (which is also the IEC ground).

If you make a custom cable you can have it shielded so that the shield is connected to the shell of the connector which will, in turn, ground the shield. This might help to mitigate the problem. But, if the ESD is coming from the actual headphones at or near your ears, then this probably won't help at all.

The output stage of the Carbon is pretty tough, but with enough ESD it probably can be damaged. How much is enough I don't know. It's not a test that we've run in our lab, but I think it would have to be a lot.

Jun 14, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #1,917 of 5,932
  thanks guys 4-pins it is.

Cool!  My only reason for going Kobiconn is that if it were an IEM or portable, I wouldn't want a heavy, metal thing-a-ma-jig hanging off the other end of [what would almost certainly be] something that is more delicate than a full-sized headphone.

Jun 14, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #1,918 of 5,932
Thanks Alex.  

That pretty much confirms what I was thinking.  I'll get the shielding grounded properly and see if that helps.

If not I'll find a way to keep myself grounded or keep the discharge away from the cable.

Jun 14, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #1,919 of 5,932
Jun 14, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #1,920 of 5,932
Any of you guys know where to pick up a 2.5mm TRRS to RSA Kobiconn adaptor for my JH Angie that costs less than $70?

I'm looking for pre-built as I never have the time for DIY. Plussound Audio seems too pricey for a $10 DIY connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back