☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Apr 16, 2015 at 10:58 PM Post #556 of 5,932
I totally understand you freak. I am in the exact position you are and looking for the same thing. I just sold my bifrost and im dacless.

I still have the oppo ha1, but will probably use that as my office unit when the carbon comes. Looking for the perfect dac

Be pretty funny if two Winnipegers get the same units.

GO JETS GO

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #557 of 5,932
  Ok guys, according to well versed ears who heard the Carbon at CanJam I need a new DAC because my CLAS just won't cut the mustard. I'd prefer to keep my budget between 750 to 1000 USD but am willing to move as far up as 1500 if this new DAC truly wows me. Any suggestions?

Spend some time on eBay and pick up a vintage R2R DAC.  This Theta I just got is something else.  I have only been listening to it for a bit and already I can tell that it spanks the Sabre in the treble (both in realism and detail).  I'm still trying to get a good feel for the rest of the sound, but so far so goo.  And well under $750...

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #558 of 5,932
  Ok guys, according to well versed ears who heard the Carbon at CanJam I need a new DAC because my CLAS just won't cut the mustard. I'd prefer to keep my budget between 750 to 1000 USD but am willing to move as far up as 1500 if this new DAC truly wows me. Any suggestions?

At 750USD, I'll probably go for the Audio-GD DAC19 Anniversary Edition, but that's a SE DAC. Still, it's limited in quantity and is a R2R DAC.

If balanced you can considered the Schiit's Gungir is one of the cheaper balanced DAC out there.

Or you can stretch your budget and go for a Chord Hugo or a Schiit Yggdrasil.

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #559 of 5,932

At 750USD, I'll probably go for the Audio-GD DAC19 Anniversary Edition, but that's a SE DAC. Still, it's limited in quantity and is a R2R DAC.

If balanced you can considered the Schiit's Gungir is one of the cheaper balanced DAC out there.

Or you can stretch your budget and go for a Chord Hugo or a Schiit Yggdrasil.

Isn't the new Chord (2Qute I think it's called) the same DAC as the Hugo with a less options/lower price? Might be a good fit, not sure exact price on it though, but might be a better fit than the Hugo since you won't need the amp section of the Hugo.

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #560 of 5,932

echoing golden darko above...but you could also go after a used hugo. 

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:01 AM Post #561 of 5,932

Isn't the new Chord (2Qute I think it's called) the same DAC as the Hugo with a less options/lower price? Might be a good fit, not sure exact price on it though, but might be a better fit than the Hugo since you won't need the amp section of the Hugo.

After reading up quickly on the 2qute, I think your recommendation is better than the Hugo. I only mentioned Hugo because that was the setup (Hugo+LC) used in Canjam that everyone was raving about.

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #562 of 5,932
There will be a Liquid Carbon at the Nashville meet on Saturday.  I will be making the three hour drive to find out what I got myself into.  Also Norne will have cables there as I will need sometime to get a balanced cable for the LCD-2f.

Apr 17, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #563 of 5,932

Yes indeed, it's a bare-bones non-portable DAC with the same chip as the Hugo.  Seeing as how the Hugo sounds amazing, the 2Qute should be a nice option.

echoing golden darko above...but you could also go after a used hugo. 

I think the 2Qute is in the $1k-1300 range?  Way cheaper than a used Hugo.

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #564 of 5,932

Yes indeed, it's a bare-bones non-portable DAC with the same chip as the Hugo.  Seeing as how the Hugo sounds amazing, the 2Qute should be a nice option.

I think the 2Qute is in the $1k-1300 range?  Way cheaper than a used Hugo.

Wow, still a bit more than I thought it was, I figured it would be sub $1k, must be a good DAC in the Hugo then.

Apr 17, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #565 of 5,932
Just noticed all the Chord dacs (Hugo, 2Qute, TT) only support up to DSD128 but only over DoP.

From all the reviews and comments, I know they still sound great but is there an affordable balanced dac out there with native DSD256 support?

I already have the iFi idsd Micro and plan to use the rca outs to xlr. Nothing out there can match its dac spec sheet but if I change to another dac (for balancing) would it be a downgrade, upgrade, or lateral move (I haven't been able to hear other dacs for comparison other than my e17 which is no match for the ifi)?

Apr 17, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #567 of 5,932
Just noticed all the Chord dacs (Hugo, 2Qute, TT) only support up to DSD128 but only over DoP.

From all the reviews and comments, I know they still sound great but is there an affordable balanced dac out there with native DSD256 support?

I already have the iFi idsd Micro and plan to use the rca outs to xlr. Nothing out there can match its dac spec sheet but if I change to another dac (for balancing) would it be a downgrade, upgrade, or lateral move (I haven't been able to hear other dacs for comparison other than my e17 which is no match for the ifi)?

The Matrix Mini-i-Pro supports 32bit 384khz, and 64/128/256 DSD, it's also balanced and under 600USD. I might consider it myself just to pair up with the Liquid Carbon. I just need to read up more on it and compare it with Gustard X12 and that Teac dac that someone else recommended.

Apr 17, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #568 of 5,932
The Matrix Mini-i-Pro supports 32bit 384khz, and 64/128/256 DSD, it's also balanced and under 600USD. I might consider it myself just to pair up with the Liquid Carbon. I just need to read up more on it and compare it with Gustard X12 and that Teac dac that someone else recommended.

I did a written review on the mini I pro awhile back for both Guru and Audio360. Matrix makes nice stuff, loved the mini I pro but it's DAC wasn't that far ahead of my CLAS-db. The big difference was my CLAS was the more mellow of the two while the Mini had better PRAT and was less smooth. Great amp section by the way, wonderful all in one in a small package with great build quality. I was hoping to find a DAC that would be a firm couple of steps ahead of my CLAS in the sound dept though.

Apr 17, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #569 of 5,932
I've been thinking about the 2Qute as a good option as a CLAS replacement guys. The AudioGD DAC19 is interesting in that I've been curious about AudioGD stuff for awhile.

Apr 17, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #570 of 5,932

That would depend on the DAC you choose. You're having the same problem I am. You're wondering if DAC A is worth replacing DAC B with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back