☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Feb 22, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #5,476 of 5,932
Interesting. I peg it as LS ~= LC, and I've heard both multiple times. Cheers

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #5,477 of 5,932
Feb 22, 2016 at 8:18 PM Post #5,478 of 5,932
Gotta check it out at CanJam SoCal.

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #5,479 of 5,932
I've heard folks say they like the Spark better because it sounds more like the Gold.  Thing is, it's not balanced and doesn't have the power of the Carbon.  All other things equal, one may like the sound of one better than the other, but they do serve different purposes.

I suspect that if you have something easy to drive like the Ether C and combine it with the Spark and an AK player or something, you'd have a portable solution that can compete with many desktop solutions for SQ.  That Spark is quite a little beast!  Less than a month until Socal!!

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #5,480 of 5,932
  I've heard folks say they like the Spark better because it sounds more like the Gold.  Thing is, it's not balanced and doesn't have the power of the Carbon.  All other things equal, one may like the sound of one better than the other, but they do serve different purposes.

I suspect that if you have something easy to drive like the Ether C and combine it with the Spark and an AK player or something, you'd have a portable solution that can compete with many desktop solutions for SQ.  That Spark is quite a little beast!  Less than a month until Socal!!

Hope to see ya there.

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #5,482 of 5,932
Does ">>" mean greater than, as in LS is better than LC?
Or is it an arrow pointing to the LC as better?

Either way, I just sent off my LC an hour ago to pay for a MZOTL2 (couldn't bring myself to wait 7 months for a Glass), and here you are tempting me again....

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #5,483 of 5,932
Does ">>" mean greater than, as in LS is better than LC?
Or is it an arrow pointing to the LC as better?

Either way, I just sent off my LC an hour ago to pay for a MZOTL2 (couldn't bring myself to wait 7 months for a Glass), and here you are tempting me again....

>> generally means bigger by a big margin. Whatever that is, mathematically it's not really defined clearly. But I've seen it being used :)

Feb 23, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #5,486 of 5,932
Thanks. Kinda obvious, I guess, but I'm a technical translator, so I'm used to thinking of every possible interpretation for a given term or phrase. You'd be surprised to find out how often the "you gotta be kidding me" interpretation is the correct one!
I understand, I'm an engineer and I deal with international regulations, so interpretation is part of my job, too. :D

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #5,487 of 5,932
Thanks. Kinda obvious, I guess, but I'm a technical translator, so I'm used to thinking of every possible interpretation for a given term or phrase. You'd be surprised to find out how often the "you gotta be kidding me" interpretation is the correct one!

This reminded me of a Nissan engineering manual with translation to English that explicitly states - "you have to ***** it up!"

Does that jive zachawry with your experience as a professional Japanese translator - haha!

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #5,488 of 5,932
Doh! Just missed out on a brand new LC for original price. I just can't win! 
biggrin.gif

Actually, about making the jump to a balanced amp. I'm running a Gustard H10/X12 combo right now. Say if I do get a LC or another good balanced amp, how much improvement will I potentially see?

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #5,489 of 5,932
  Doh! Just missed out on a brand new LC for original price. I just can't win! 
biggrin.gif

Actually, about making the jump to a balanced amp. I'm running a Gustard H10/X12 combo right now. Say if I do get a LC or another good balanced amp, how much improvement will I potentially see?

Speaking amp to amp (I own both) only--there will be a significant improvement going to the LC.  However, I suspect that most of that is because the LC is (in balanced or unbalanced mode) a much better amp than the Gustard.  The LC beats it in a meaningful/audible way in every category, except (as I recall) amount of power to your cans.

What your ears detect will depend upon, in part, your DAC (which I have not heard) and the quality of the music you feed each system.

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #5,490 of 5,932

Speaking amp to amp (I own both) only--there will be a significant improvement going to the LC.  However, I suspect that most of that is because the LC is (in balanced or unbalanced mode) a much better amp than the Gustard.  The LC beats it in a meaningful/audible way in every category, except (as I recall) amount of power to your cans.

What your ears detect will depend upon, in part, your DAC (which I have not heard) and the quality of the music you feed each system.

Nice. Thank you for the input. Unfortunately I'm trying to whittle my setup down to the best bang for the buck now that I've got an idea of what I like. Love having a bunch of headphones and equipment around, but I really can't afford it! I'd be funny if I started selling drugs, got caught and then said it was only to support my Head-Fi habit. 
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back