☯️ Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon... a $599 Cavalli amp???
Apr 15, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #451 of 5,932
If this thing had a battery it would've been done and dusted lol. Is that what you're talking about. My wallet is shivering

No, I was implying that when these start shipping, people here are going to start glowing over this amp.  Being a good amp and people with new-gear-itis mean this place will really be over the top.  I'm secretly wondering if the good doctor ever considered offering a separate power supply, either battery powered or with huge caps to control the current...

Have too many headphones, but none balanced...I'll have to decide which to upgrade (I also have a Pono, which has its own balanced connectors...jeez, when you go balanced on stereo equipment, at least they all connect the same way, this is crazy making!)

Holy smokes!!!  You do have a ton of headphones!!!  Good luck balancing all those...

Are you considering feeding your Liquid Carbon from you Pono Player?

Apr 15, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #452 of 5,932

No, I was implying that when these start shipping, people here are going to start glowing over this amp.  Being a good amp and people with new-gear-itis mean this place will really be over the top.  I'm secretly wondering if the good doctor ever considered offering a separate power supply, either battery powered or with huge caps to control the current...

Holy smokes!!!  You do have a ton of headphones!!!  Good luck balancing all those...

Personally, I'll wait for a formal review until I've got three amps, or at least heard three amps for a while. Just like I did with my headphones. I want to get a good impression of what the range of sound is with amps.
Of course, that won't stop me from blabbing just my impressions of the amp. 

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:15 AM Post #453 of 5,932
If this thing had a battery it would've been done and dusted lol. Is that what you're talking about. My wallet is shivering

Have too many headphones, but none balanced...I'll have to decide which to upgrade (I also have a Pono, which has its own balanced connectors...jeez, when you go balanced on stereo equipment, at least they all connect the same way, this is crazy making!)

Yeah, one of these days have to have a fire sale...(if you looked at my profile, it's not even updated).
I'd love to use line out from the Pono, wouldn't be a problem single ended but not sure how or if it can be done to use its balanced option line out.

Apr 15, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #456 of 5,932
Again, the Pono (which I love btw), has line out and balanced outputs. But it has its own connector for the balanced, and I'm not sure about getting "interconnect" cables that would work for it as line out, may or may not be doable. I'll try to post on the Pono thread, some folks there are knowledgeable about this stuff.

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #457 of 5,932
Again, the Pono (which I love btw), has line out and balanced outputs. But it has its own connector for the balanced, and I'm not sure about getting "interconnect" cables that would work for it as line out, may or may not be doable. I'll try to post on the Pono thread, some folks there are knowledgeable about this stuff.

You'll need a dual 3.5mm to dual XLR interconnect to take advantage of the Pono's balanced output.  That'll be a custom cable, but I bet the folks at Moon Audio and others will be able to produce for you.  That's dual 3.5mm seems quite unique so far.  The only other product I've seen that uses that is the Sony PHA-3.

On a side note, My MDR-Z7 comes with a second balanced cable that others are using to listen balanced directly out of the Pono...

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #460 of 5,932
New Geek Out V2 will also have balanced output (believe is 3.5mm TRRS). Could have an adapter made to run from that to the LC's XLR inputs and be balanced all along. Cheers

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #461 of 5,932
New Geek Out V2 will also have balanced output (believe is 3.5mm TRRS). Could have an adapter made to run from that to the LC's XLR inputs and be balanced all along. Cheers

I'm actually debating selling my Geek Out 720 and upgrading to the V2 for this exact purpose. It would be a truly transportable set up that is sure to offer performance way beyond its price point.

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #462 of 5,932
I wonder how a Gungnir sounds with the Cavalli Liquid Carbon? Just speculating, I will sooner or later will need a dac to go with this amp.

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #463 of 5,932
I wonder how a Gungnir sounds with the Cavalli Liquid Carbon? Just speculating, I will sooner or later will need a dac to go with this amp.

I vote Dr. C send someone (or me) a LCarbon pre-production to explore this pairing.
or
perhaps someone with a spare Gungnir can send it to Dr C?
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #464 of 5,932
I was going to pass it up, but somehow it ended up ordering itself #579. I will probably use it initially from AK240 and AK120 II.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back