“Fatman & Little Boy” – MS-2 / MS-2i
Mar 12, 2005 at 5:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

augustwest

Headphoneus Supremus
“Fatman & Little Boy” – the tale of two MS-2’s

For a period of time I had both the MS-2 "classics" & the MS-2i Alessandros. I recently sold the MS-2 "classics” to another Headfi member, but in the interim while was waiting for payment to arrive I had both on hand to compare. Listening to both, with the bowls mounted the standard way, there is a tremendous difference in the sound. I’m not sure why George (Alessandro) is minimizing the difference, other than he may be trying to discourage mass demand by people who are going to use the phones for evil “hi-fi” purposes. We all know now from a recent post that this is to be discouraged.

The bass is in much greater abundance with the new MS-2i, than with the original version. Though I wouldn’t say they go any lower. The bass with the new can is firmer, warmer, with a greater sense of dimension & all the way around better. Like the older MS-2, the ‘i’ version has the same type of restrained “highs” that make them preferable to the Grado line. The mid’s in both are fluid and just plain great!

Owners of the old MS-2’s shouldn’t totally despair, however. The “classic” with the bowls attached in the standard way has a very detailed analytical slightly dry sound to it, which more than any other Grado reminds me of the Joe Grado HP series, without being quite so boring. When I “reversed” the bowl pads the bass on the “classic” model they approached the bass of the newer model. When doing this with the “classics” it also narrowed the “soundstage” considerably. So in effect the MS-2i model, has the bass with slightly greater “soundstage” as well, giving them a different and more pleasing sound, with the added comfort of the bowls. Curiously enough when I tried reversing the bowls on the MS-2i, it didn’t have much effect at all. I have not tried them with the “flats”, although would like to.

In comparing the two headphones the MS-2i’s appear to be much larger. This is only an optical illusion, when I measure them with a ruler they have exactly the same sized sound chamber. The difference in appearance is purely cosmetic with a larger lip that gives them the appearance of being bigger. Thus the “Fatboy” tag. Therefore the substantial difference in sound must come from a driver that has been revamped in a major way.

Many here at “Headfi” have claimed that the “sweet spot” of the Grado line up is the SR-225. I have always contended the “sweet spot” is in fact the MS-2, when considering value for the dollar spent. Well now that “sweet spot” has become all that much sweeter. I titled this thread, “Fatman & Little Boy”, because that was the name of the first two atomic bombs developed by the United States, and the new MS-2i is truly “DA-BOMB”

Happy listening,

- augustwest

Mar 12, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 39
Sigh... Alessandro and Snufkin both say there is little or no difference in sound, and others claim there is a huge difference. I just don't know what to believe anymore. I know everyone has different ears but this is bordering on ridiculous. I just don't see how such vastly different opinions can exist.

Mar 12, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #5 of 39
how's the weight compared?

edit: an di'm a bit behind on this whole ms-2i/325i thing.. does anyone know what the changes were? has grado said that the drivers are different, or are we left in the open? possibility that it's just a cosmetic change? (since the sound chamber is the same size)

Mar 12, 2005 at 8:12 AM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by hugz
how's the weight compared?

edit: an di'm a bit behind on this whole ms-2i/325i thing.. does anyone know what the changes were? has grado said that the drivers are different, or are we left in the open? possibility that it's just a cosmetic change? (since the sound chamber is the same size)

Coming from someone who detested the silver 325, and almost equally hated the 225, the 325i could not possibly be only cosmetically different from the original. It is a different animal, the shearing highs and brightness that was trademark of the original 325 is nowhere to be heard on the 325i. The bowls on the 325i aren't even as bright as the flats were on the original. I have no idea what the exact changes are, but they changed something, that's for sure.

Mar 12, 2005 at 9:32 AM Post #7 of 39
Thanks for that.. eagerly awaiting my ms2i
smily_headphones1.gif

But how does this review align with the review from "snufkin", who states that there is absolutely NO difference between MS2 and MS2i, save for some cosmetical changes?

Mar 12, 2005 at 9:41 AM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Sigh... Alessandro and Snufkin both say there is little or no difference in sound, and others claim there is a huge difference. I just don't know what to believe anymore. I know everyone has different ears but this is bordering on ridiculous. I just don't see how such vastly different opinions can exist.

Quite simple actually.

Augustwest might view the difference to be "huge", when it might be "small" to someone else. Id say people have different views on what is a "huge" difference in sound and what "isnt".
I mean, huge in this case might be 10% of a difference, a 10% that Snufkin and George Alessandro might not be able to hear.

Mar 12, 2005 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
Quite simple actually.

Augustwest might view the difference to be "huge", when it might be "small" to someone else. Id say people have different views on what is a "huge" difference in sound and what "isnt".
I mean, huge in this case might be 10% of a difference, a 10% that Snufkin and George Alessandro might not be able to hear.

Want me to send you a pair of the new ones to see if you can hear 10% difference?
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2005 at 10:15 AM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
as the cans would presumeably feel very similar on your ears, couldn't you actually do a double blind test here?

Very easily - I had someone swap them over for me without telling me which ones I was listening to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back