“Fatman & Little Boy” – MS-2 / MS-2i
Mar 12, 2005 at 10:24 AM Post #16 of 39
Might be something for some more people to try. An important essential will be plotting out the switching order and switching methadology in advance to prevent the guy changing from giving you non audio clues as to which ones you have on.

Mar 12, 2005 at 10:27 AM Post #17 of 39
HI: Well boy am I confused. Now I never heard the MS-2 or MS-2 fatboys. So I really can't comments on either of them. But I have read some about them here. New ms2 fatboy awesome!!! ( 1 2 3 4 These are 71 post that say as the title says.
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...t=ms-2+fatboys
Are these members deceiving them selfs?

Mar 12, 2005 at 10:48 AM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest
“Fatman & Little Boy” – the tale of two MS-2’s

I titled this thread, “Fatman & Little Boy”, because that was the name of the first two atomic bombs developed by the United States, and the new MS-2i is truly “DA-BOMB”

Interesting impressions.
One little remark though, the nicknames choice is rather inappropriate (they remind me of pain and death, do you think japanese headfiers would like them?).

Mar 12, 2005 at 10:51 AM Post #19 of 39
So you never visit news sites or read news papers? Because they sure as heck remind you of pain and death :xf_cool:

Mar 12, 2005 at 12:04 PM Post #21 of 39
placebo is a very strong player, remember that, Snufkin has probably heard as many if not more headphones than any other head-fier bar a few of the real hard core veterans here. I would take his word if he said he didnn't spot any significant differences.

Mar 12, 2005 at 1:16 PM Post #22 of 39
fwiw, it still sounds like a win-win situation: either you get a new great sound, the old great sound, or the same great sound.
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2005 at 3:35 PM Post #23 of 39
I know it's all about the music, but I am disappointed that this new iteration of Grado/Alessandro cans increased weight and failed to solve the bowl pad comfort problem. The bowls and overall lack of improvement in build quality climbing the Grado lineup really put me off purchasing the MS-2 "classic" and I am starting to consider Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic options.

Am I the only one longing for the excellence of the Joe Grado designs? I know John had to make changes for Grado to succeed as a business, and applaud his success. But isn't it possible to make an evolution of at least the higher-end, to justify the price of the cans? I am very glad that the 325i has improved the perceived weaknesses of the 325's sound. Perhaps I am simply jonesing for the PS-1
tongue.gif

Mar 12, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #24 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
fwiw, it still sounds like a win-win situation: either you get a new great sound, the old great sound, or the same great sound.
wink.gif

Thank you, the truth speaks!!! the ms-2 is great, obviously the ms2i is great as well for those people, and you probably can get an old ms-2 real cheap (i should know, i sold my old ms-2's
biggrin.gif
)

Mar 12, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #25 of 39
wishful thinking that there is no difference for those who have the old school version. There is a huge difference. The drivers are different, I mean how much proof do you guys need? They are more sensitive to volume also, meaning that they are louder than the old version being that the volume on the amp is the same. Sorry guys but the difference is there. Best part is that they sound great out of just about anything thing.

Mar 12, 2005 at 5:38 PM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest

Owners of the old MS-2’s shouldn’t totally despair, however. The “classic” with the bowls attached in the standard way has a very detailed analytical slightly dry sound to it, which more than any other Grado reminds me of the Joe Grado HP series, without being quite so boring.

I believe larry from headphile just kind of confirmed this on a previous post. He stated that the 325i drivers look exactly like the 2nd generation drivers of the sr-200, the non hp-1000 drivers, that had a similar joe grado sound but not as flat and neutral. He also said that the alessandros also share the same driver design. I can confirm the ms-2's also having that nice, balanced, open sound to them while not as neutral as hp-1000's, i believe Jahn PM'd me about a question i had with sr-200's saying the non hp-1000 drivers sounded similar to ms-2's.

So basically, based on what other head-fiers have stated such as xanadu and jahn, and based on my own listening impressions, i shall make a couple of assertions (i have heard 325, 325i, and ms-2).

1)I think xanadu has the most reliability in being right, he does open these things up, he probably knows more about the drivers and grado internals than anyone i know

2) I can hear the similarities of ms-2 to old school joe grado, i have listened to hp-1000's, and can see where xanadu and jahn get at talking about the ms-2 having that similar sound to the non hp-1000 sr-200's.

3)Apparently, the 325i's drivers look exactly the same as those sr-200's, i can attest to the sound being similar to the ms-2 based on my impressions, with the 325i taking the cake on its midrange and exceptional imaging, whereas the ms-2 takes the cake on its nice, cohesive, incredibly open sound.

I would imagine the ms2i is closer to the ms2 than the 325i is to the 325, which is like worlds apart, based upon the previous assertions.

Mar 12, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #27 of 39
recstar24
HI: Very nice post. I think one couldn't go wrong with the MS-2 or MS2 fatboy or the 325i fatboy. Now the MS-2 fatboy with the extra 1/8" cap like the 325i fatboy 1/8" cap might have a better sound stage than the MS-2. I am at a loss on the fatboy thing though. Is it just the outer caps that have the 1/8" wider (fatboy) because the 325i that I own does have a bigger sound stage over the 325 that I have also owned. So what is causing the bigger sound stage if only the outer caps have the 1/8" wider that would not effect the sound stage I dont think unless the outer 1/8" caps are hollow.

Mar 12, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #28 of 39
what i want to know is "to flats or not to flats" I have tried the flats on the ms2i and honestly the bass gets better but it seems like so much sound stage is taken. I think i am just a Bowls guy.
I think the bowls sound better, but i want the flats to work, so i am giving it more time, and I am getting a gilmore lite to amp them. Anyone else try the ms2i with flats?

Mar 12, 2005 at 8:05 PM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by lord of volume
what i want to know is "to flats or not to flats" I have tried the flats on the ms2i and honestly the bass gets better but it seems like so much sound stage is taken. I think i am just a Bowls guy.
I think the bowls sound better, but i want the flats to work, so i am giving it more time, and I am getting a gilmore lite to amp them. Anyone else try the ms2i with flats?

I use flats most of the time, but in quite a few songs, the bass guitar sounds really overpowering.
But with the bowls the cymbals can get a little out of control.

Its a toss up sometimes.....

Mar 12, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #30 of 39
It's the FOTM, without a doubt. This is just another typical example of head-fi sheep gone berzerk. How many times has a certain product gotten insanely popular after a high-poster rants about how wonderful it is? And when it goes truly sky high like these have, how many times has it lasted? There are simple facts here: they both sound good for different reasons (and for all we know they may sound good for the same reason!). Head-fi'ers and audiophiles in general have a hard time differentiating between different and better. Honestly there's no such thing as a simply better improvement, because some may like more bass, some might find it overpowering, some find dark cans boring, some find them musical.

In short, they both sound good, but mine look better!
tongue.gif

Oh and not to mention that mine are out of production and therefore will become a commodity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back