π Audio - "Pai Audio"
Mar 31, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #421 of 449
Boom! The eagle has landed - actually some days ago, but I haven't had the time to take photos until now:

I can definitely say that I love how the colour has turned out.

Something that is also really appreciated is that Pai Audio have changed the cable a bit and implemented a good strain relief compared to their older cable (that was similar except for the lack of good strain relief):

Oh yeah, before I forget it - the Pai Audio logos on the shells are not just stickers but actually applied differently - you cannot feel or see even the slightest bit of an elevation and the logo cannot be peeled/scratched off.

Aug 8, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #423 of 449
Hi,
can someone who used the lz a4 compare with the mr3 ? i wondering the mid and trebles

Difficult to answer because the MR3 is a fixed tuning and the LZ-A4 can be multiple.

Here's a frequency graph with the two compared - LZ-A4 using black/pink - which I think is the most balanced filter combo.

Img.png

Basically the LZ-A4 is more V shaped, has bigger bass, and slightly more prominent mid-range. The MR3 is more balanced overall, a lot less bass, and sounds quite lean and a touch on the cooler side comparatively. The MR3 is a lot more comfortable though.

Aug 8, 2017 at 10:43 AM Post #424 of 449
Difficult to answer because the MR3 is a fixed tuning and the LZ-A4 can be multiple.

Here's a frequency graph with the two compared - LZ-A4 using black/pink - which I think is the most balanced filter combo.

Basically the LZ-A4 is more V shaped, has bigger bass, and slightly more prominent mid-range. The MR3 is more balanced overall, a lot less bass, and sounds quite lean and a touch on the cooler side comparatively. The MR3 is a lot more comfortable though.
thank for answer and frequency chart
i have one more questions which one is more detailed and clear to you? i read the reviews and i think mr3 but want to be sure because there is no comparison.(asking for black/pink filters)

Aug 8, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #425 of 449
Because of its leaner signature - the MR3 will appear to show more detail. In reality, I think the resolution on both is similar.

Dec 8, 2017 at 1:40 PM Post #427 of 449
greetings, long time lurker first time poster.
just got myself a pair of MR3 after I lost my UM3X.
when I set out to replace my trusty westone, I decided not to get dragged into driver count war.
I believe that single low-mid-hi config is sufficient as long as it's tuned well.
hell, etymotic er4s kicks serious ass with just a single ba driver.
what can you say, this little gems do deliver.
the polite bass is non-issue as I care more about detail retrieval and balance over relevant spectrum.
the soundstage is definitely above average too.
however the one that seals the deal for me is the fit and comfort, they snug almost like a ciem.
the guys at pai audio seems to know how to design a universal shell.
overall, excellent value for money.
I believe I have replaced my um3x well.

Dec 8, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #429 of 449
I’d love to see them use the same shell and add a bass driver to the MR3. It’s really all that’s missing. Bring the bass up a little and you have a sure fire winner.

Dec 10, 2017 at 1:52 AM Post #430 of 449
thank you for the warm welcome.

from the brief time living with my MR3, i'm loving it.
I do go back to my IM70 from time to time if I'm missing some bass fun on specific songs.
a bit nagging feeling I have, I think the shell material give a bit of cheap vibes to the otherwise excellent products.
I know, I know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I believe pai audio have their reasoning going with polished pvc.
I can't help but feel that MR series were just another bunch of drivers glued together in a sweatshop if I never auditioned them.
I wonder if anyone share the same sentiment.
other companies like trinity audio are in the same price range but their products looks more striking, for the lack of my vocabulary.

Dec 10, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #431 of 449
yea, your feeling is shared.. MR3 is a pure gem.
with so many bassy iems around, it's always a pleasure to find quite neutral and well tuned ones, like MR3. isolation is essential to get proper bass (as always, but specially in this case). once found the right tips and insertion, i don't miss any bass quantity nor quality. bass is there, even louder than in flat reference iems. fast and accurate, you might miss some sub-bass and rumble, but it is suitable for many kinds of music.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #432 of 449
Just received a MR2 from guy who felt that his unit does not sound as the reviews would suggest. And he's absolutely right:

Pai-Audio-MR2-Sample-1-vs-2-web.png

My MR2 (Sample 1) is from mid 2016 and has much more treble. His unit (Sample 2) should be newer and has already got the Pi-logo on it's plug. Obviously both units sound totally different. But both MR2 are in good condition, the channel matching is good as well.
The individual measurements that show both channels can be accessed here:
- Sample 1
- Sample 2

On closer inspection I can see that both units use the same low frequency driver (Knowles CI-30120). I'm not sure, if the high frequency driver is the same as well, but I guess so. Though, the acoustical dampers aren't the same. Sample 1 uses Knowles BF dampers that are covered in metal, as sample 2 uses non metal-covered dampers. Sample 2 has got a red 2200 Ohm damper on it's high freq driver, which is quite a high value. I suspect that my sample 1 uses a lower value. So @alex atPaiaudio what's going on here? Has the damper configuration of the MR2 been changed?

Jan 18, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #433 of 449
@bartzky

Alex isn't with Pai Audio anymore - she's left quite a while ago, by the end of 2016 if I recall correctly (she informed me back then because I was still waiting for the "green Kryptonite" MR2 that, by the way, sounds similar to the other MR2 I have around, so it seems that they changed the tuning in 2017). There was also talk that they were about to set up a CIEM lab, but I have absolutely no idea if that happened or not.

What do the bores/nozzle outputs on that newer MR2 look like? It'd help if you could post a photo.

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #434 of 449
lex isn't with Pai Audio anymore - she's left quite a while ago, by the end of 2016 if I recall correctly
Oh that's sad. Isn't there a representative for Pai here anymore?

I was still waiting for the "green Kryptonite" MR2 that, by the way, sounds similar to the other MR2 I have around, so it seems that they changed the tuning in 2017
Unfortunately I don't know when the Sample 2 was produced as it was bought second hand from ebay, but already some months ago.

What do the bores/nozzle outputs on that newer MR2 look like? It'd help if you could post a photo.
The shells are completely identical (apart from color of course :ksc75smile:).

Sample 1 is the orange one.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Jan 20, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #435 of 449
Oh that's sad. Isn't there a representative for Pai here anymore?

Nope, I think they don't have one anymore. They don't seem to be active anymore on the internet in general - might be different in some Chinese audio communities, but I am not sure about that either (couldn't find them on weibo or baidu).

The shells are completely identical (apart from color of course :ksc75smile:).

Gotcha.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back