γ1 (gamma 1) DAC thread
Feb 22, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #46 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by julius_the_cat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I switched the coaxial input back and forth between the Gamma and the TADAC DAC and tried to keep the volume consistent. I also tried using a passive pre-amp from CI Audio for switching, but . . .

On Puttin' it Down by Terry Evans, the soundstage fills the entire wall of my room with the TADAC and the Gamma just couldn't compete. As there is no line out on the TADAC, I don't think I will be able to do a level field comparision.

Correction about my original observation comparing the soundstage of the Gamma1 and TADAC:

I spent additional time listening with my floor standing speakers over the past week. I continued to use a CIAudio VPC-1 for passive switching. Either additional burn-in was required or more likely it was related to tweaking the speaker positioning. Either the way the soundstage is more than adequate now with the Gamma1. Tonal accuracy and low level detail remain better in the Gamma1.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #47 of 159
When I first built-up my gamma-1 I was disappointed with the sound compared to some other (much more expensive) DACs I immediately A/B'd it to. For me, it wasn't so much the soundstage as a kind of liveliness and engaging quality to the sound I missed. But by dint of its form factor and great sound by any other measure and my delight at having built it without melting it, it got pretty constant use in the subsequent few weeks. I realized a week or so later that the liveliness I was missing was no longer missing, even when I went back and compared it to other DACs again. This caught me by (pleasant) surprise as I rarely give much thought to burn-in. I now think the gamma-1, burned in with a week or two of listening a few hours a day, has few audible faults as a DAC -- let me put that more positively: I love listening to it, which I can't say was the case in the first few hours. I have listened to DACs I enjoyed listening to more than the gamma-1, but they all cost over $1K and certainly don't fit in the little camera bag with my portable gear...

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #48 of 159
Hmm, thats good to hear. The dac is pretty cold sounding, and is missing that fun factor that I like. But this is a small complaint compared to how good it sounds. This dac kicks almost all dacs that I've heard in this price range but I do miss the warmth with some amps/phones.

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #49 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, thats good to hear. The dac is pretty cold sounding, and is missing that fun factor that I like. But this is a small complaint compared to how good it sounds. This dac kicks almost all dacs that I've heard in this price range but I do miss the warmth with some amps/phones.

I wonder if that may be due to the opamps in your XP amp? I had an XP amp with the LM6172 opamps after owning a PINT with the AD8397's and remember the XP amp sounded a little more subdued compared to the PINT.

Feb 22, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #50 of 159
I have the AD8397 XP amp.
smily_headphones1.gif
Its an aggressive, tight sounding amp but the gamma might be better matched with a warmer amp. I gotta try it with my m^3 when I go back home.

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #52 of 159
Compared to my onboard sound card (realtek 883), the y1 gamma made biggest difference in the sound stage and clarity. From the viewpoing of someone with above average ears (from the listening test link on headfi) but non audiophile, I would say a night and day difference is an exaggeration but difference is easily noticeable. I felt there was a bigger change in upgrading my dac than going from sr80 to sr225.

Even so, there are not many alternatives in the 100 or below price range. I could name one bad thing for pretty much all altenatives. The only slight fault with the y1 comes comes from people who cannot afford to amp the y1 gamma to prevent the low bass cutt off and max volume setting…

Right now, I’m using my grados with y1 gamma and mini 3 but I’m thinking about adding Millett Hybrid MAX with it, any opinions?

Feb 24, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #53 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by a1m80t /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now, I’m using my grados with y1 gamma and mini 3 but I’m thinking about adding Millett Hybrid MAX with it, any opinions?

I use the y1 with a Millett Mini Max and it is a great combo. Many will tell you that a well built Max is a good match for Grados.

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #56 of 159
I'm very happy with my gamma lite with my Dynalo (gear in my sig). I don't find fault with any part of the presentation, soundstage, anything. I took a leap of faith in selling my AlienDAC before I got my Gamma Lite, but it has made me so much happier with my Denon D2000s. When I got my D2000s, compared to the HD580s I'd sold, I was disappointed with the total lack of soundstage, positioning, and presence (the sound was fun, but didn't sound very high resolution... a drum sounded like a boom instead of a strike, sound, fade off). But with the y1, I've gotten a lot of that back now with closed headphones. And you can't beat the price straight from MisterX. They are priced at impulse buy ranges. So I'm happy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #57 of 159
Received my y1 from Mister-X yesterday. Early impressions are very positive, but limited by a wicked head cold
frown.gif
. My DAC experience is limited - several months ownership of the Leckerton and a lot of meet listens - so I am probably easily impressed. That said, I am quite happy. It is clearly in a different league from the Leckerton in terms of noise floor and strength of output signal. I can't bring myself to describe my subjective impressions as to the characteristics of the sound. Suffice it to say this is a very good piece of gear for the $.

I am probably going to get a cheap DVD player to use as a transport with the y1. Anybody else doing this?

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #58 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by baglunch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm very happy with my gamma lite with my Dynalo (gear in my sig). I don't find fault with any part of the presentation, soundstage, anything. I took a leap of faith in selling my AlienDAC before I got my Gamma Lite, but it has made me so much happier with my Denon D2000s. When I got my D2000s, compared to the HD580s I'd sold, I was disappointed with the total lack of soundstage, positioning, and presence (the sound was fun, but didn't sound very high resolution... a drum sounded like a boom instead of a strike, sound, fade off). But with the y1, I've gotten a lot of that back now with closed headphones. And you can't beat the price straight from MisterX. They are priced at impulse buy ranges. So I'm happy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yea, no contest at all with the alien dac. The gamma is on a whole other level.

Feb 25, 2009 at 3:39 AM Post #59 of 159
I'm glad this DAC is finally getting out there in wide circulation, and receiving some really positive comments
smily_headphones1.gif

I really think that many portables and low-to-mid range full-size DACs are going to be fairly embarrassed by what the y1 can do in such a small package and for so little cost......

Feb 27, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #60 of 159
Anyone got any experience with the Gamma 1 Lite with amp + speakers? I'm sure they'll be quite a significant upgrade from onboard soundcard either way.

Also, anyone have experience with the Keces DA151 and the Valab DAC compared to the Gamma 1? Seems like the Gamma is much smaller but can compete.

I like warm sounding with good treble and very good bass.
smily_headphones1.gif
I saw above that the Gamma 1 might be a little cold sounding... but that's only coming from one person.

I'm only going to use this with my amp + speakers, so basically a stay put desktop solution only.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back