γ1 (gamma 1) DAC thread
Dec 13, 2008 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 159

strid3r

500+ Head-Fier
I've had the pleasure of receiving the gamma1 DAC, a new DIY DAC project by amb and MisterX (full details here: HeadWize: DIY Workshop > γ1: Full-featured modular miniature DAC). I had expressed interest in getting one as I was looking for a source with a small footprint that I could feed from my E-mu 0404. Anyways, we all know threads are worthless without pics, so let's get that out of way:
Front:
gamma1002.jpg

Back:
gamma1003.jpg

Signal locked and loaded:
gamma1005.jpg

As for how it sounds, it is surprisingly very good. I am moving from a Lite DAC-38 and do not miss it (although I'll go back to it at one point just to compare).

Hopefully as others get their gammas, we can add more impressions to this thread.
icon10.gif

Dec 13, 2008 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 159
Building mine soon!
smily_headphones1.gif

(Parts on order)

Dec 13, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 159
Congratulations!
smile.gif

Looks like another nice project by Ti. Going to read up on it...

Jan 8, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 159
I have had a Gamma Lite for about a week. So far, I am very impressed. I tend to sell my gear to upgrade, so I do not have anything for direct comparison except a Move2 (briefly before i sold it) and an Ipod with LOD. It fairly easily dismisses both of those. It is currently feeding either my Mini3 or my desktop pimeta. I try not to throw around the audio lingo, but I think this is an excellent DAC and according to the specs and tests, displays that as well.

Jan 9, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by strid3r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would just PM him and get a quote. The last time I checked with him, he was still waiting for the panels to arrive.

Yeah I e-mailed a few days back but I imagine he's busy building, so I thought I'd ask here instead.

EDIT: Turns out my e-mail didn't go through - I e-mailed him again and he responded quickly.

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #12 of 159
Makes my computer sound as good as my Harman Kardon HD710 CD player (not a great player, but not too bad), but not as good as my CAL ICON MkII CD Player. The CAL player is my benchmark I someday wish to best from my computer sound, but no luck so far.
Definitely sounds better than my alien dac (using Muse ES o/p caps), my Headroom Total bithead (amp/dac) and my Twisted Pear USB receiver module (cased up as a portable dac with Silmic II o/p caps). These 3 dacs are PCM270x based dacs. The gamma1 has more detail and reproduces the timbral texture of sounds better, but is not harsh or analytical with my system.
Computer USB -> gamma1 -> Millet Hybrid Maxed (bone stock build) -> D2000.
This is my favorite DIY project to date due to its great sound and input flexibility in such a small package.

Jan 25, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #15 of 159
IMG_2668-3.jpg

Just received my assembled Gamma 1 with Full configuration (USB, S/PDIF coax and optical inputs, selectable with front panel switch)

MisterX is a gentleman and very professional. Letting it play for a couple of days. Very promising so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back