β24: A discrete, cascoded, fully-differential power amplifier
May 16, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #76 of 309
There's something strange about this hobby. I dont own speakers, I live in a small apartment, all my listening is done via headphones...

And yet, i see these pics that AMB is taking, lick my lips, and immediately start thinking "I wonder if any builders will offer to make these professionally..."

May 16, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #77 of 309
Holy.... Crap.....

Absolutely stunning work, AMB.

May 16, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #78 of 309
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And yet, i see these pics that AMB is taking, lick my lips, and immediately start thinking "I wonder if any builders will offer to make these professionally..."

I'm sure they'd think about it till they realized the near 5 figure price tag that might be required to make it worthwhile.

Fantastic work as always, Ti.

May 16, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #80 of 309
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where'd you get the toroid covers?

I did not get the "covers" separately. These are encapsulated/potted and magnetically-shielded toroids, and were manufactured that way.

May 16, 2008 at 3:22 AM Post #81 of 309
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
where'd you get the toroid covers?

I think the audio transformers are encapsulated so that's how they look. at least from Plitron

edit: beaten by amb.

May 16, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #82 of 309
amb, you've beaten me on the progress of this beauty by far, looks very professional !
cool.gif

I see that you manage to mount the β24 board with output MOSFETs on that 4U heatsink, was it much of a problem due to limited space? Do you have to cut on the side brackets a bit?

The β24 and σ22 boards on mine are mounting (almost) similar to yours, only different is that the σ22 doesn't have on-board heatsinks. The output MOSFETs of the σ22 are mounted on the same large heatsink as the β24.
(I'm using 300mm x 300mm heatsink)

May 16, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #83 of 309
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ferrari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
amb, you've beaten me on the progress of this beauty by far, looks very professional !
cool.gif

LOL, it looks close to completion but I still have a lot more to do.

Quote:

I see that you manage to mount the β24 board with output MOSFETs on that 4U heatsink, was it much of a problem due to limited space? Do you have to cut on the side brackets a bit?

No, I chose not to cut the brackets. There is enough room without doing that, even though the MOSFET and Caddock resistor leads have to be bent back some to reach their PCB holes:

attachment.php

May 16, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #85 of 309
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's something strange about this hobby. I dont own speakers, I live in a small apartment, all my listening is done via headphones...

Ha, I'm in the same boat. I'm a thousand miles away from my speakers, yet I've been lusting over this project since its inception. I ordered a set of prototype boards and the first round of parts yesterday. I 'finance' most of my projects by spreading their construction out over time.

In this case, this helps me both financially, and educationally. I've got plenty of time to do homework.

Right now I'm in the process of sorting out power supply (mainly, trafo selection) issues.

May 16, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #86 of 309
I'm with Covenant and TheRobbStory, but with a twist. I have an Musical Fidelity A370 185W class A monster I don't use much as I do most of my listening at my desk with headphones. I'm thinking - Can we drop the voltages and bias currents a bit and make a balanced B22 killer?

We are warped people. There is no hope.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 19, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #90 of 309
amb, put this into mass-production and retire!
biggrin.gif
(As long as you keep making designs on the side.
wink.gif
)

Super professional-looking. I can't wait to read impressions and see specs of the completed amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back