˜60€ recommendation
Nov 5, 2014 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

StarMatt

Head-Fier
Hello everyone.

I'm looking for some nice headphones. I'd prefer noise cancelling but this is not an absolute, comfort is! I mostly listen to rock music. They would travel a lot in my bag, I need them for when I'm on a computer... and if you have any other question that would help your recommendations please ask me!

Thanks for the attention

Nov 5, 2014 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 23
Hey, thanks for your input! I forgot to say I have large ears, how do you think the s500 would do?

Edit/ wow these are dirt cheap on Ebay. Hard to believe they are the same or as good as they say in that thread :p

Nov 5, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 23
Alright so little update. I have to unfortunately disregard the JVC ha-s500 because of lack of availability (can only import them from Japan). I am considering these:
AKG k67
Audio Technica ATHWS55BK (leaning more towards these)

These are a bit more expensive than the price I put in the title but I actually meant euros :p

I would like many of your 2 cents please.

Nov 6, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #7 of 23
Would you consider IEMs or are you set on full sized headphones?

I already have a pair of IEMs. Earsonics SM2 that I love, but I want headphones for when I'm at work. Something I can remove and put back on quickly.

@TheHeadphoneGuy,eBay does ship to France, but it would take weeks and I can't really wait that long, I need something I can get to start to use quickly. Also from the reviews I read I have some reserve about their comfort, they seem quite small for my ears.

Nov 6, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #8 of 23
So I am also considering these:
Philips shp9500, but I have to read a bit more about them. They look good though :p Over the ear, detachable cable... They do seem a bit bulky though so I'm not sure about traveling with them.

Nov 6, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #11 of 23
Sound Signature:
The bass is warmer than neutral, but is not bloated in any way, nor does it bleeds into the mids. making the headphone colored a bit darkly (and forgiving), but not Sennheiser's HD650's level of darkness... same as the MA900's, which is darker than an AD900x (Audio-Technica) headphone.
The mids are very magical, and are playing at the BeyerDynamic DT800's level of refinement. head to head with my Sony MA900's.
The treble is a bit elevated, and you have a medium-fi level of micro-details. which you usually get in the 200-500$ price range. but the upper treble is a bit recessed, which makes the headphone less sibilant, and more forgiving to poor quality material (YouTube comes to mind).
The whole spectrum is curved a bit U-shaped (FR), with energetic presentation, while not too forward in the extreme frequencies (not V shaped).
They also exhibit average to slightly above average sound-stage for a closed headphone.

Comfort:
The headband is exactly the same as the DT series headphones. I find it just a tiny bit uncomfortable for long hours..
So, I always try to set the pads (set the weight distribution) so that they will take the weight of the headphone on themselves (they clamp, but not too much).
Speaking of the pads - They are very plush and comfortable. couldn't ask for more. and they even don't warm your ear too much.

All in all, I find these to be a great deal. I really like them, even more than my MA900's.

Nov 6, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #12 of 23
Takstar Pro-80
just a great sound...

Hey thanks for the input. There are no reviews on head fi that I can find though... Can you talk about them a bit? Comfort? Sound signature?

Never heard the Pro80s but they seem to be well regarded, high value headphones...thought about getting them multiple times but always seem to get distracted with other purchases. They're also called Gemini HSR1000 (and other names). This thread may help (http://www.head-fi.org/t/585356/the-takstar-technical-pro-gemini-greathon-cyberx-qpad-thread).

The Logitech UE6000 is another set to consider at EUR 89
http://www.amazon.fr/Logitech-UE-Casque-iPhone-Smartphone/dp/B00A668MZI

A good review of the UE6000s by Tyll is here...http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/surprisingly-good-logitec-ue6000-and-ue9000

It's a pretty accurate assessment based on what I hear. I don't use the noise cancelling but its available. FWIW, they were on his Wall of Fame until they were replaced by the Sennheiser Momentums.

The CALs are also an option...nice sound, great value.
http://www.amazon.fr/Creative-Aurvana-Live-Casque-Performance/dp/B000W6

Nov 6, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #15 of 23
I haven't heard the Phillips but they look comfy af. As for the Logitech UE6000 I think that would be a good purchase but NEVER put on noise cancelling, it screws up the sound quality.

This is way too absolute, OP desires noise cancelling and the UE6000 has it. Also, with the active noise turned on this becomes a very fun headphone, big thumbs up from me and the best youll find under $100 IMO. Takstar Pro80 is also very good headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back