ß22 + σ22 design complete ••• Opinions welcome
Oct 17, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #31 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep the 2X3pinXLR, keep reading -

When you go to sell your gear you will thank yourself for spending an extra $20 to appease someone who uses 2 connectors clinking like metal testicles on the end of their headphones rather than 1*4pin. Its dumb, I agree but its one less thing to worry about when the time comes, sad but a reality of design. Its also nice when you bring the amp to meets for people to just plug in.

But all that does is continue to perpetuate an completely dumb "standard." I can't say I know anyone who actually prefers dual three pin over single four pin. They only use it because that's what's been foisted on them. And it will continue to prevail if no one ever takes a stand against it.

Quote:

I would steer clear! I am assuming that the output devices will be mounted off of the boards, onto the side heatsinks of that case. If this is the case...

It isn't the case.

The output devices will be mounted on the boards using the intended board mounted heatsinks.

se

nodualxlr.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #33 of 363
Gorgeous design!

Oct 17, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #35 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much are those cases, btw?

Don't know yet. Gonna have to get the machining and finishing quotes first.

Or were you talking about the Par Metal chassis?

se

nodualxlr.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #36 of 363
By the way, in spite of my feelings about dual three pin XLRs, I do think that visually, the three XLRs and one TRS look quite nice on PJ's front panel. Often times an asymmetrical element in an otherwise symmetrical design can keep it from being too symmetrical and consequently more bland.

se

nodualxlr.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #37 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, in spite of my feelings about dual three pin XLRs, I do think that visually, the three XLRs and one TRS look quite nice on PJ's front panel. Often times an asymmetrical element in an otherwise symmetrical design can keep it from being too symmetrical and consequently more bland.

se

nodualxlr.gif

I think a single 4pin XLR and single TRS would have the same balance with less clutter
beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #38 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think a single 4pin XLR and single TRS would have the same balance with less clutter
beerchug.gif

Sure. But I don't think there's going to be any talking PJ out of dual three pin XLRs so I'm not even gonna try. He already knows very well what my feelings are on that matter. Dontcha, PJ?
atsmile.gif

se

nodualxlr.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #39 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koyaan I. Sqatsi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure. But I don't think there's going to be any talking PJ out of dual three pin XLRs so I'm not even gonna try. He already knows very well what my feelings are on that matter. Dontcha, PJ?
atsmile.gif

se

nodualxlr.gif

There won't be, and I do, and likewise I've tried my hardest to talk him out of this refusal to conform with the rest of the headphone world, but he's as stubborn as they come.
icon10.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 9:45 PM Post #40 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There won't be, and I do, and likewise I've tried my hardest to talk him out of this refusal to conform with the rest of the headphone world, but he's as stubborn as they come.
icon10.gif

Of course. Because I'm not a conformist.
atsmile.gif

As for "the rest of the headphone world," it uses 1/4" and 1/8" TRS plugs and jacks. It's only a microscopically small corner of that world that doesn't. And while I have an admiration for their daring to break from the TRS standard, they ****ed up the end game and chose to go with something that never should have gone past the proof of concept stage.

And I'll never produce, or allow my name to be put on anything that uses dual three pin XLRs. While that may result in my own demise in the marketplace, at least I'll have gone down fighting instead of rolling over and taking a dual three pin XLR teabagging just to make a buck.

se

nodualxlr.gif

Oct 17, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #41 of 363
Sorry to interrupt, just wanted to throw in my 2cents. For me, I prefer dual 3 pins. Don't know why, but I prefer them.
Nobody will ever get me to only put a 4pin on my front.
And as long as I heart Tyll only decided to begin using dual 3pins because there already was one neat little connector which provided an additional TRS, just in the middle of the 3 pins.
Greetz (and peace^^) Ava

Oct 17, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #42 of 363
This makes me want to build a Beta 22 myself now.

If people care enough about the 4-pin XLR issue, then we need to petition HeadRoom to add a 4-pin XLR on their balanced amps.

Oct 18, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #43 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ynis Avalach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to interrupt, just wanted to throw in my 2cents. For me, I prefer dual 3 pins. Don't know why, but I prefer them.

Ok, that's one.
atsmile.gif

Quote:

And as long as I heart Tyll only decided to begin using dual 3pins because there already was one neat little connector which provided an additional TRS, just in the middle of the 3 pins.

What I was told is that it came about because the first "balanced" amp was made up using two separate stereo amps with their channels bridged, thus necessitating the need for two separate connectors (i.e. one on each amp).

Anyway, it doesn't make having to put two big-ass XLRs on your headphones any less dumb.

se

nodualxlr.gif

Oct 18, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #44 of 363
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If people care enough about the 4-pin XLR issue, then we need to petition HeadRoom to add a 4-pin XLR on their balanced amps.

Why HeadRoom? They're not the only ones making "balanced" amps. And I'd hazard that there are perhaps more "balanced" amps being sold in total by manufacturers other than HeadRoom.

Why not grassroots it and approach it from the bottom up?

I've been toying the the idea of trying to start a "headphone guild." It would be an ad hoc group of manufacturers who cater to the specialty headphone market for the purpose of trying to resolve issues such as this as well as to help assure that these sorts of things are avoided in the first place.

se

nodualxlr.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back