» iPhone 3GS + Portable Amp + Headphones?
Mar 14, 2013 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

diago

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm new and this is my first post, so take it easy on me.  I'm looking to buy some good headphones for work. I've been looking at:
- Audio Technica ANC9 (NC)
- Audio Technica ATH-M50

Which phones are better for SQ? I like the noise cancelling option in the ANC9's but SQ is very important to me. The price difference between these is around $70.

Is it also worth spending money on a portable amp too, when my source is my iPhone 3GS using Spotify in 320kbps mode. I've been looking at the Fiio E11 and F cable for around 60 bucks off egay.

Thanks...

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 17
http://www.head-fi.org/t/616920/the-audio-technica-ath-anc9-quiet-is-an-understatement
for the m50 vs anc9 deal + vs qc15 and other phones. 

as for an amp, you're probably better off without one. Especially noise cancelling headphones. They already have built in amps (thus the batteries), 

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 17
So the question then is do I go NC with possibly less SQ, or no NC with possibly better SQ and pocket the $70.

I'm just after some good headphones for work to help me block out people talking, while also listening to some decent phones.

Budget is under $250 and would consider IEM too.

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #4 of 17
I would choose Audio Technica ATH-M50 then possibly add C&C BH portable amp which members are mentioning is a good pairing for the M50. I think your phone will drive them just fine, though to get the best experience, BH runs for 80+ hours, no bigger than a credit card, so it won't get in the way. If you read the members impressions below my mini review you can see it's considered an upgrade over E11.

Sure, ATH-M50 will sound decent from your phone, but members are reporting good results using BH amp to get the most from them, and having owned a pair in the past can confirm they enjoy the amplification. If you take the amping route you will also need an LOD (line out dock to feed the amp), they can be picked up cheap on eBay.

Here's the thread to check out, but I would certainly choose ATH-M50 as your headphone, it's a known classic of all time here on Head-Fi being very popular and totally proven worthy of the price tag.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #6 of 17
I've just been reading more about the M50 :frowning2:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/653206/audio-technica-ath-m50-disappointment

The thread seems to suggest that with the increased price of the new model, design changes, and progression of others competitors its not longer the gem it may once have been...?

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
I've just been reading more about the M50
frown.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/653206/audio-technica-ath-m50-disappointment

The thread seems to suggest that with the increased price of the new model, design changes, and progression of others competitors its not longer the gem it may once have been...?

Nah, it's still very well known. I never knew about the revision until you brought it up. The ATH-m50 is still very well known. 

If you're listening at moderate levels you won't hear much.

Think the question is what you're going to be listening to in terms of genre. The m50/MDR-V6 are both all rounders. The v6 and m50 are pretty much on par, just a matter of taste separates them. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #8 of 17
A few days ago I ordered the M50's for AU$129 and C&C BH Amp for AU$92.  I can't wait to listen to them and should be a good step up from a hand-full of lowish-end ear phones I have that I got from reading a massive review of all differently priced ear phones.  Can't find it now :frowning2:

I read the above threads too on the M50, but these phones still have massive respect and just seem to be a good place for someone new to the scene like me too.  I also think it will be good for when I'm ready to upgrade as I'll be able to make direct comparison to phones that are very popular.

Mar 21, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #9 of 17
@MrViolin: I've already started researching potential future purchases and I was reading about the Z02 amp. It interests me because its not only an amp, but you can also tweak the audio too.

I'm kind of thinking my next purchase should be some IEMs for work, but this interests me.

Mar 22, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #10 of 17
I had a 3gs and ordered some HIF 580's and a Fiio E6. FOr under $200 for the combo brand new, I couldn't be happier. HAving tried both the M50's and 580's, I can tell you right away 580's outclass them in bass, isolation and treble.

Mar 22, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #11 of 17
For the iPhone 3GS you are in luck, as VentureCraft is discontinuing their Go-DAP 3.0 and it is on sale now at Amazon for $20 (MSRP $200)!!  Get it now.

Mar 23, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
Are you suggesting the go-dap instead of the z02?

I tried ordering one (only 20 bucks) but its saying Amazon won't ship to me. I'm in Australia.

That sucks.  But VentureCraft still have it at $99 and I know they ship international.  http://venturecraft.jp/gadget_en/buy_paypal.php.  However, it will be great if you can find someone to get it for you in the US and forward it to you, and still save some money and have great sound :).

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #15 of 17
It should, but the case won't fit. You will have to use an extension or mod the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back