« Best » closed back headphone under 500 Eur
Aug 25, 2023 at 10:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

cfranchi

500+ Head-Fier
I’m looking for a closed back headphone that sound natural and somewhat spacious : which headphone would you recommend ?
Thank you !

Aug 25, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 20
The Final Sonorous 3 or 4 are good, also the Drop DT17XX and neither needs an amplifier. I like the AKG K371 Pro also, but not the Bluetooth version, those are tuned for battery life.

Aug 25, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 20
I can only offer my opinions on the ones I own:

Sennheiser HD300 Pro: best sound, incredible seal, but uncomfortable due to the vice-grip clamp. Definitely worth the price of admission in short spurts, but not an all day option due to the discomfort. The plastic in this thing really sucks, it’s horrible to the touch and feels cheap; the edges aren’t even smoothed over in places, they just left them sharp enough to basically cut you on a bad day. But they’re super durable and completely silent - no creaking, etc. Great, simple cable: Not microphonic or obtrusive in any way. I own about 15-20 headphones and iems, and these have the best sound to me - the isolation really adds a boost to quieter music and the bass is just perfect. I don’t mind the narrow soundstage in closed backs, so this is basically my perfect sound. Nothing fancy here: you get great sound but have to suffer for it.

Shure 1540: Not worth it at all. They come with a huge case, extra pads, and extra cables, all of which add to the price tag obviously. The headphones themselves aren’t worth the price to me. The cable sucks; it’s super microphonic and janky as all hell; it’s also dual-sided and is always in the way. The sound is serviceable, but not memorable or engaging at all. The seal is poor due to an overly weak clamp and the soft pad material, which is nice to the touch I’ll give them that. Somewhat comfortable, but the headband is poorly designed and doesn’t carry the weight well. The cups don’t swivel and the height adjustments have no clicks so you can’t get them perfectly even, which I hate personally. The sound is nothing special, good, but not great. Wouldn’t buy again.

KRK 8400: Nice fake leather pad material - really some of the best I’ve encountered. But this headphone had two deal-breakers for me: the headband pinches the top of your head unbearably (it’s one of the worst I’ve ever used), and the treble is way too sharp for me. Maybe they’re good in the studio, I don’t know. Hard pass.

Obviously there’s like 100 more options to go, but I’m too lazy and poor to help you out there!

Aug 26, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 20
What about Focal Elegia or Hifiman Sundara closed back ?

Aug 26, 2023 at 4:33 AM Post #7 of 20
Focal headphones are not spacious but pretty intimate sounding
Otherwise the Celestee is to me one of the best for 500e you can get

Where did you get Celestee at 500 eur ?

Aug 28, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #10 of 20
In that price range and your needs I can't hit on anything else but the Ultrasone Signature Natural 👍

Are there any frequency response graphs available for these?

Aug 28, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #11 of 20
I can only offer my opinions on the ones I own:

Sennheiser HD300 Pro: best sound, incredible seal, but uncomfortable due to the vice-grip clamp. Definitely worth the price of admission in short spurts, but not an all day option due to the discomfort. The plastic in this thing really sucks, it’s horrible to the touch and feels cheap; the edges aren’t even smoothed over in places, they just left them sharp enough to basically cut you on a bad day. But they’re super durable and completely silent - no creaking, etc. Great, simple cable: Not microphonic or obtrusive in any way. I own about 15-20 headphones and iems, and these have the best sound to me - the isolation really adds a boost to quieter music and the bass is just perfect. I don’t mind the narrow soundstage in closed backs, so this is basically my perfect sound. Nothing fancy here: you get great sound but have to suffer for it.

Shure 1540: Not worth it at all. They come with a huge case, extra pads, and extra cables, all of which add to the price tag obviously. The headphones themselves aren’t worth the price to me. The cable sucks; it’s super microphonic and janky as all hell; it’s also dual-sided and is always in the way. The sound is serviceable, but not memorable or engaging at all. The seal is poor due to an overly weak clamp and the soft pad material, which is nice to the touch I’ll give them that. Somewhat comfortable, but the headband is poorly designed and doesn’t carry the weight well. The cups don’t swivel and the height adjustments have no clicks so you can’t get them perfectly even, which I hate personally. The sound is nothing special, good, but not great. Wouldn’t buy again.

KRK 8400: Nice fake leather pad material - really some of the best I’ve encountered. But this headphone had two deal-breakers for me: the headband pinches the top of your head unbearably (it’s one of the worst I’ve ever used), and the treble is way too sharp for me. Maybe they’re good in the studio, I don’t know. Hard pass.

Obviously there’s like 100 more options to go, but I’m too lazy and poor to help you out there!

Thanks for the detailed writeup, OhmAlone.

Just curious if you've tried either the newer Shure SRH840A or the AKG K371, and what your opinion was of those.

Aug 28, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #12 of 20
Closed backs are just a crapshoot.

I like the Denon/Fostex line b/c you can always change components to adjust for what you desire.

Whether it is pads, cups (which there must be like 50 different options when you include Lawton, E-M, X00), dampening kits.

I don't know of another closed back that offers such customization to this degree.

Aug 28, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #13 of 20
Aug 28, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #15 of 20
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back