£70 all round 'phones. MS-1 ?
Apr 13, 2007 at 11:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bored_student

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm new here. Been reading the forums for a while, now looking for some advice.

I'm after a set of headphones for home use, for music, to go with my PC initially. I'm a student in the UK, looking to spend maybe £70 give or take on a decent set - to replace some dead £20 Logitechs. Opportunity to get some decent kit. The thing is, I listen to quite a wide range of music, from indie-rock, jazz, folk, to orchestral and choral. Most of it is at high bitrate/VBR in anticipation of *this*. I do computer gaming but that's less of a worry.

I started looking at headphones, and really really like the styling on the Grados (design student's prerogative!). But they cost a fortune in the UK, so I was thinking of the Alessandro MS-1, cos the $:£ exchange rate is very favourable, they work out at ~£60 inc taxes (ordering direct). SR60s are £70, SR80s are £90.

However, I know the Grado type phones are quoted as great for everything except classical, more or less, but I guess my main question is, since I'm not (*yet) an audiophile, are they actually bad at it. Or is it just a case of they're insanely better at rock/etc, compared to my current phones, and only moderately better at classical? I mean, I'm presuming they aren't a step down. I know they're 'open'; I'm told this makes them cooler to wear over long periods. Minor thought niggling me that a closed set would be more flexible in use/ on coaches etc, but sound is the priority at this moment I think.

I may have fallen for the Grado aesthetics, but I was wondering if there's a much better "all round" headphone for my money that I'm missing. With one criteria - no amp required; in case I want to use it with my Walkman phone at any point. So 1/8" connector too. Others I'm considering (thanks to headroom's reviews)

Beyer DT 231 £25
AKG K 81 DJ £40
Beyer DT 250 80 £70
assorted Sennheisers

The thing is, it seems in the price range I want to spend, the Grados are touted as the *best value* by far. I could spend less and get the DT231s or something, but then I'll have missed my chance to have something better...

Thoughts on which/I should be looking at, etc? Or on the "how bad are grados with classical" question? Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 11:14 AM Post #2 of 17
Right. When I was in your situation (just getting into the high end) I had a pair of DT231's. When I got my SR60 and did a comparison, the TD231's paled in comparison. Before I moved along up the upgrade chain, I loved my SR60's for classical. As a "gateway drug" you could do far worse than those.

Oh, and when I compared the MS-1 to the SR60 at a meet, the MS-1 was very similar to, but slightly better than, the SR60, so you could do far worse than those.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet!!!

Apr 13, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 17
Alessandro MS1 is excellent all-around headphone. The lack of soundstage harms their prowes in orchestral classical, or any "wide" music. But it depends on listener if one keeps that an issue. You can get some soundstage-happy headphone later if you want to get a taste of that, like AKG K501 or something.

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 17
I enjoyed them while they lasted. They were my first headphones and the Grado sound got too much for me. Good way to go though for the first dip into an expensive hobby. I didn't get taxed on VAT though, which was a good thing. You could probably have the same luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 17
Thanks for the replies. Re VAT, yes, it's nice when the customs people are friendly like that!

Further to some internet browsing, spent this evening toying with the Sennheiser HD 555 (£50-£60) vs the MS-1 (~£60). Some threads are suggesting the former might be a better all-round headphone, the 555 having that "wider soundstage"; others there mark the MS1 as the "no brainer" for this kind of purchase. I guess I have more classical in my collection right now, than anything else, but doubt it'll stay that way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MS-1s are cool! They cause you to stomp your feet while sitting on stage listening to rock.
icon10.gif
And swing your arms like the conductor during big classical numbers...while standing dead center at the podium.
cool.gif

^amused me. My local audio store stocks sennheisers, so I'm gonna take a walk there tomorrow and have a listen. Finding Grados in the uk might be tougher!

Found this post insightful on the matter:
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Alesandro MS1 and the HD555...I really can't say I like one more than the other. The HD555 wins hands down for comfort. For long-listening, they are very comfortable... The MS1, however, is such a great all-around pair of cans for me. The HD555 I use mainly for classical, but on some albums, the MS1 still sounds better than the HD555. Also, the MS1 is easier to carry around, so it is my semi-portable pair of cans.

Personally, if someone had to make me choose, I'd go MS1... However, if I could go back in time, I'd probably have gotten an MS1 with an HD580 instead. The difference in sound signature is better appreciated with those two. It's too bad I heard them after I had bought my HD555. Oh well.

Still MS-1 in the lead, I think.

Apr 13, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #6 of 17
I find the MS-1s only to be uncomfortable if I have my spectacles on. They press on the ear and it gets painful around the frame of the spectacles behind my ear.

If you have good eyesight or wear contacts, they should be ''not uncomfortable'' to you.

Apr 13, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 17
The MS-1s are great phone imo. Theyre only "bad" in orchestral music as Maza pointed out. Theyre fine for small or solo classical music. Also, theyre great for indie rock, folk and country music.

Also, try out the Sennheisers, especially the 580s (but I dont know if theyre cheap in the UK). I havent tried out the hd555s, but you might love them! and the good thing about the MS-1s are that they have a great resale value so if you dont like them, you probably wont lose a lot of money!

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mofonyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the MS-1s only to be uncomfortable if I have my spectacles on. They press on the ear and it gets painful around the frame of the spectacles behind my ear.

If you have good eyesight or wear contacts, they should be ''not uncomfortable'' to you.

I wear glasses a lot (I do have contacts, but wear them very little when listening to music
tongue.gif
) and I find my SR-60+HD414 pads and even my MS2i+stock bowls more comfortable with my glasses than the supposedly über-comfortable ATH-A900.

The great thing about grado/alessandros and comfort is the bendable headband... do not be afraid to bend it till it exerts just enough lateral pressure to stay put, but not enough to clamp. Once you get to the sweet spot, you can headbang (slightly) and still have comfort

PS: video added
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, try out the Sennheisers, especially the 580s (but I dont know if theyre cheap in the UK).

Unamped, I'm not sure the HD580's are a good choice, despite a second hand pair being bang in this range... They just need better amplification to really shine.

Apr 13, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #10 of 17
I tried my HD600s unamped, and although they do play and don't sound too bad, they really drain the batteries. So yeah; they do seem happier with an amp.

As far as headbanging with MS2i; I trained myself to bob side to side and use more energy stomping my feet.

Maybe I should have given front to back a better chance.
frown.gif

Apr 14, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 17
Well, I've now heard the HD 555s. They're quite something compared to what I'm used to
3000smile.gif
for sure, and yes I can see how they'd market them as "comfortable" too! The wearing-glasses issues not a worry, I only need them for distance/outside.

The testing was pointless in one respect - as I can't try the MS-1s - but I guess served to let me benchmark the scale of improvement I'm looking at. Also tried out the 515 and the 465 for comparison, on some classical and rock tracks, since they were on the same shelf. Also came to realise that the shop mark-up is quite significant with headphones
blink.gif

So now I have myself a little dilemma. Sight unseen on the MS-1s and all they promise, including those oh-so stylish retro looks, or the slightly space-age 555s, which are equally great but different. Will sleep on it, but I have a feeling I'm going to be ordering the MS-1s in the morning!

Apr 14, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #12 of 17
Hello Bored Student!
If you do decide to get the hd555 remember to get them from ebay rather than retail as they're miles cheaper. Also you can try grados at superfi stores in the UK (at least in the north).

Apr 27, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #14 of 17
Hi again. Just to say thanks, and that my MS-1s arrived. Yay!

For feedback/etc: took 11 days overall - I ordered on the 15th, payment was taken on the 19th, they arrived at the local parcel depot on the 26th, where they waited for me to pay the customs duty. Was £49.40 for the $99 (gotta love that exchange rate!). Then added VAT and an (irritating) £8 post office customs "handling charge"; final cost £66.24. Interestingly didn't get charged any import duty (2%) but did get the VAT, which is odd.

Needless to say, I'm well pleased. They're a definite improvement on what I'm used to!

Apr 27, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bored_student /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi again. Just to say thanks, and that my MS-1s arrived. Yay!

For feedback/etc: took 11 days overall - I ordered on the 15th, payment was taken on the 19th, they arrived at the local parcel depot on the 26th, where they waited for me to pay the customs duty. Was £49.40 for the $99 (gotta love that exchange rate!). Then added VAT and an (irritating) £8 post office customs "handling charge"; final cost £66.24. Interestingly didn't get charged any import duty (2%) but did get the VAT, which is odd.

Needless to say, I'm well pleased. They're a definite improvement on what I'm used to!

Sorry If I missed this, but where did you buy them from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back