£70 all round 'phones. MS-1 ?
Apr 27, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bored_student /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, I'm new here. Been reading the forums for a while, now looking for some advice.

I'm after a set of headphones for home use, for music, to go with my PC initially. I'm a student in the UK, looking to spend maybe £70 give or take on a decent set - to replace some dead £20 Logitechs. Opportunity to get some decent kit. The thing is, I listen to quite a wide range of music, from indie-rock, jazz, folk, to orchestral and choral. Most of it is at high bitrate/VBR in anticipation of *this*. I do computer gaming but that's less of a worry.

I started looking at headphones, and really really like the styling on the Grados (design student's prerogative!). But they cost a fortune in the UK, so I was thinking of the Alessandro MS-1, cos the $:£ exchange rate is very favourable, they work out at ~£60 inc taxes (ordering direct). SR60s are £70, SR80s are £90.

However, I know the Grado type phones are quoted as great for everything except classical, more or less, but I guess my main question is, since I'm not (*yet) an audiophile, are they actually bad at it. Or is it just a case of they're insanely better at rock/etc, compared to my current phones, and only moderately better at classical? I mean, I'm presuming they aren't a step down. I know they're 'open'; I'm told this makes them cooler to wear over long periods. Minor thought niggling me that a closed set would be more flexible in use/ on coaches etc, but sound is the priority at this moment I think.

I may have fallen for the Grado aesthetics, but I was wondering if there's a much better "all round" headphone for my money that I'm missing. With one criteria - no amp required; in case I want to use it with my Walkman phone at any point. So 1/8" connector too. Others I'm considering (thanks to headroom's reviews)

Beyer DT 231 £25
AKG K 81 DJ £40
Beyer DT 250 80 £70
assorted Sennheisers

The thing is, it seems in the price range I want to spend, the Grados are touted as the *best value* by far. I could spend less and get the DT231s or something, but then I'll have missed my chance to have something better...

Thoughts on which/I should be looking at, etc? Or on the "how bad are grados with classical" question? Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Based on your price area and your music, you'd be hard pressed to find something better than an Alessandro MS1.

The DT231's would be another good choice. As would a HD555.

But definitely take those K81DJ's off the list. Although I haven't heard this pair, all around Head-Fi says it has heavy bass and has a sound that would not work for your music types.

You also mentioned the HD465. My advice is to stay far away from it and go with the HD485 or even the HD415, which are both better for the money. The 465's are very muffled-sounding, maybe not terrible, but obviously noticeable compared to the HD485 and even its entry-level models. It's worth the extra money to get the 485's IMO. But then again, all headphones in this series are suited for bassy music, therefore you may find them a bit disappointing.

And as far as the 515's, they sound okay, but seem a bit nasaly and very boomy. Again it's worth the extra money to step up to the HD555.

Eh, but none of that really matters much, you finally got your MS1!
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back