Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone

4.31915/5,
  1. hxxh
    Plastic and pinching force is too much, squeeze my head and painful, Sound is ok
    Written by hxxh
    Published Aug 14, 2013
    1.5/5,
    Pros - Light weight, portable
    Cons - Hate plastic, uncomfortable, painful, not ergonomical , highs are too aggressive
    Sennheiser HD25-II is one of hot model in on-ear headphone. I buy it because of high rating from different users.
    However, i feel very disappointed when I use it.

First of all, the headband structure is too tight. It makes my head painful and can't wear for more than 5 minutes, 1 song?!

Bass, quite strong

Mids - not natural

Highs - clear, but the highs are too aggressive. It hurts my ear when listening for long time.

I can't use it for more than 5 mins because of the headband pinching force. No matter how the sound is, the headphone is useless for a user if they can't use it daily.

Sorry about that. Sennheiser.
      zazex likes this.
    2. RayMusicLover
      You're entitled to your opinion, headphones are subjective, I personally love mine & I've got a massive head. clamping force never an issue for me. they will loosen a bit with time. by widening the distance between the two headbands I always find a comfortable fit. I love the way they sound, they're not perfect but I've yet to find perfection
      RayMusicLover, Sep 29, 2013
    3. lumberjake
      I would think, if it is a steel band, if too tight then why not simply bend them outwards? If its spring steel, it should be very resilient. Just a thought.
    4. dannybgoode
      I wouldn't use HD25's for a listening session but for DJ'ing its another matter.  I find it so easy to pull the beats out for mixing and then mentally pull the mid in to discern how the two tunes will sound together.

Practical as well - bombproof (as mentioned above good plastic is very good - think Glock), nice long cable and a high clamping force is a good thing - last thing you want is your headphones falling off mid mix!
      dannybgoode, Apr 1, 2015
  2. purrin
    Too much bass, strident treble
    Written by purrin
    Published Mar 18, 2012
    2.0/5,
    Pros - Kinda of OK - there are much worse out there
    Cons - Too much bass, treble is an assault upon my ears
    Too much bass, strident treble. I guess it could be worse. Midrange is not bad. It might sound OK straight out of my out of my cheap Android phone which lacks power and sounds kind of muddy.

The treble hurts me. I wouldn't keep them though, even if someone gave them to me for free. I wouldn't give them to my kids either because I don't want to destroy their high frequency hearing.

Really ugly too.
    2. Anaxilus
      I'm pretty sure they wanted to improve the sound. That's what the aluminum cups and especially the damping foam is there for in the Amperiorioriori. Obviously source chains do have an affect on the extreme to which one might hear one part of the spectrum versus another.
      Anaxilus, Mar 19, 2012
    3. scuttle
      If there's too much treble for your tastes, why not use EQ???
      scuttle, Feb 15, 2013
    4. lumberjake
      Had the M80s. They were actually quite nice with pretty decent mids, bass that was not overwhelming but had good impact and treble that was never harsh but perhaps a bit recessed. I found them to have decent soundstage too compared to these but they didn't seal out noise as well. However, for the money, the Soundmagic HP 100 mops the floor with both, its on another level. If you don't mind rocking big shiny cups but oh that bass.
  3. simonm
    For DJs only
    Written by simonm
    Published Apr 30, 2014
    3.0/5,
    Pros - Very good isolation, reasonably dynamic
    Cons - Painful on-ear clamping force, harsh treble peak, closed sound
    These headphones are clearly designed for DJs in dance clubs and I can't recommend them for general or casual use.  They get 3 stars for doing what they're designed to do well enough but could be much better.

They are very isolating as a result of a strong clamping force that crushes my ears to the point of pain after 10-15 minutes.

The sound is very forward and punchy.  Good for techno/dance but lacks refinement, subtlety and space.

They are overly bright and there's a treble peak that causes sibilance and is very unattractive.  Though I didn't use a high quality amp this peak seems to be recognised in frequency response charts and other reviews here that state they can be too bright.  I'm not sure if this is a deliberate decision so that DJs will tend towards making club music darker but it could well be.

If using an iPhone or low-power analogue out you'll need to use a treble reducer or custom EQ to even listen to these without serious fatigue and pain, though bass response without amplification is still decent.

Overall these have a very specific application and purpose and unless you're a DJ that needs high isolation and a "club" sound you should steer clear.
    1. RenZixx
      Treble peak? Club sound? I would these the baby HD 600 and I find the bass almost on par with the 600 in quantity,quality and speed. You can mod them with cotton to reduce that sub-bass.
      RenZixx, Sep 3, 2018
  4. iVinyl
    puzzled by good reports..
    Written by iVinyl
    Published Apr 7, 2011
    3.0/5,
    Pros - small, sensitive light and good sound proofing
    Cons - overwhelming character
    I have Grado SR60, SR225i, HD650 and HD25 II's, with an iBasso headphone amplifier, fed by an ipod dock cable. I principally bought the HD25's as a monitor headphone for video use but thought I would burn them in for 100 hours and see what they do with music. The reproduction is not what one would call subtle, the extreme frequencies are pronounced and there is little impression of ambience or imaging. It is like it is trying too hard to please.  I can imagine, for that reason, it suits loud rock music, but it tramples delicate good recordings.  The cable picks up some microphony.
  5. krenky
    Great Professional Closed Headphones with amazing isolation
    Written by krenky
    Published Apr 17, 2017
    3.5/5,
    Pros - Great detailed sound, amazing passive isolation, small and very practical
    Cons - not comfortable for longer sessions, bass is not going very deep, small soundstage
    I really like Sennheiser HD25, the sound is very detailed and balanced. I love the sound isolation which is I think the best from within all other closed headphones. They are very light and small which is great. The design would be superb if the cups could rotate 90 degrees but they cannot. I especially like that every single part is replaceable which I think is the reason why so many people buy these.
    You dont want to spend too much and be forced to throw them away or pay for expensive repair after couple of years.

I would wear them in public but I dont like that the headband is sticking a bit outside from the cups which makes them wider than they are. Small design changes would bring these headphones back to the #1 position.

So many times these headphones simply crush anything else around them in terms of sound quality. They are precise, detailed and well balanced. The bass is nice and punchy but I would prefer if it could go slightly deeper. But dont worry its still deeper than most of the headphones within this price range. They are very loud which is another reason why other djs and professionals buying these. If you like them then do not hesitate as I dont think you find better on ear headphones. Yes, maybe Beyerdynamics DT1350 but for some reason I dont think they are so cool than these are.

If the soundstage would be slightly bigger that would be fantastic as comparing to the other headphones they might sound a bit in your face. These are great for work such mixing, editing, mastering etc. Specially if you use them in noisy environment.

When I search for new headphones I often use the term I look for something like HD25 but around the ear :)  Definitely wear them / check them in terms of the comfort before you purchase.
  6. MadeInMachines
    Very Good But Not Perfect
    Written by MadeInMachines
    Published Jul 15, 2015
    3.5/5,
    Pros - Versatile, Lightweight, Solid Exciting Sound, Great For DJs & Exercise
    Cons - Not Good For Mixing, Not For The Fashion Conscious, Intermittent Audio Issue, Expensive Replacement Parts, Low Volume On Portable Audio Devices
    I've owned 2 pairs of these headphones over the past 10 years so feel I've gotten to know them pretty well. Apart from the cheaper SP version these are the only decent headphones above a budget level that I've really tried.

Looks

I don't think this headphone is for the fashion conscious but they do have a cool look of its own in an industry standard geeky DJ kind of a way.

Durability

This is a mixed bag for me although maybe it is harsh to complain about a pair of headphones that last so long. Overall they are pretty indestructible and I regularly take them to the gym and put them in there and take them everywhere without a second thought. You don't need to treat them nicely for fear they will break. I've never had any problems with the headbands or drivers. However there is a fundamental design flaw with this product that has occurred with both of my units and is well documented by other users. After a while (often many years) one of the cups will develop issues with intermittent sound requiring you to wiggle the connector cable to try to make it work again on a regular basis. The problem is that the spring inside the ear cup which the headphone connector is placed inside become faulty. If it wasn't for this i'm pretty sure they would last forever which I doubt sennheiser would want - they want you to buy another set. I'm sure it could be easily remedied if they slightly altered the design.

Replacement Parts

It's a positive that so much of the headphone is user replaceable. However, although readily available, they are also ridiculously expensive such as the £40 price tag for a new cable.

There are definitely not the most comfortable headphones out of the box. They exert a significant amount of pressure on your ears although the do loosen up after a time and become comfortable. That coupled with their lightweight design does mean when they have broken in I do find the comfortable to wear for sustained periods.

Impedance

These do go very loud when using a dj mixer, a sound card or my macbook pro laptop. When using portable devices such as android phones I find that they are only just loud enough for me so I need to push the gain of my music app to its maximum before distortion to get the level I desire. They are loud enough to use but I would prefer quite a bit more headroom so I would only half recommend them for portable devices. Something designed to be so portable and durable really should have been updated to be more compatible with phones and portable music players.

I do like the sound and they offer excellent isolation. They sound exciting but a bit harsh in the highs and boomy in the bass. They have almost a dark sound and sound very full and not at all tinny. I wouldn't call the neutral. They are great for djing especially since the kick is emphasised in the low mids but for producing I'm not convinced. When mixing with them I find I tend to end up with mixes that are dark in tone, overblown in the bass and quite dull and lifeless in the highs. I really find it hard to make informed decisions about what is happening in the low end and mix the bass and kick particularly. Maybe high end harshness is part of the problem that leaves me with dull mixes.

Conclusion

I need to replace these now and I am tempted to get another pair because they are very versatile in that you can use them for djing, sport, sound design, and to a limited extent mixing. They are also durable, lightweight and comfortable after a while of breaking them in. However I can't help want more from them - a pair that are more comfortable from the outset, that I can reliably mix on and that don't develop a fault after so many years with the ear cup connectors. Maybe I should buy these for recreational/dj use and then another pair for mixing as I could end up disappointed trying to improve on them.
    1. Pedro Dixon
      Ben Klock will not use anything else. He often plays for 18 hours or more. Nina Kravitz is also a user just to name a few.
      Pedro Dixon, May 23, 2016
  7. Tilpo
    Sennheiser HD 25-1 II
    Written by Tilpo
    Published Sep 8, 2012
    3.5/5,
    Pros - Relatively cheap, indestructible, good comfort, nice bass impact, good isolation
    Cons - Bad soundstage, spikey treble, annoying cable
    Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Review

Introduction
    I bought these headphones about a year ago to enjoy my music with decent isolation, comfort and sound quality on my portable rig. I was very satisfied with them, and have been up until I got my IE80's. The IE80's are simply better in terms of sound quality and portability. However, these cans are still absolutely awesome in other aspects.

Before I'm going to do away with my trustworthy HD 25-1 II's, I thought it'd be worth the effort to write a review about them. I tried to keep this review short and clear, without leaving anything out. I'd like to think I succeeded, but like always I kindly ask for your input.

Listening setup
    I wrote the sound quality impressions collectively from several setups:
    Galaxy Note -> HD 25-1 II
    Galaxy Note -> AMB Mini3 -> HD 25-1 II
    Audio-GD NFB-12 -> HD 25-1 II
    Audio-GD NFB-12 -> AMB Mini3 -> HD 25-1 II

If there is one thing I noticed from these comparisons, it'd be that this can is the furthest from picky; whatever you drive it from it'll be very near it's full potential. It has crazy high sensitivity as well, and I found myself listening to it one an airplane directly out of my phone or iPod with no need for extra volume.

I compared it to my IE80 primarily, but also did detailed comparisons with my HD650 and SR-202. I won't list the comparisons themselves, but rather what I found out through comparing them. If you're looking for the comparisons shoot me a PM.

Pictures
    DSC01031.jpg DSC01030.jpg
    DSC01028.jpg DSC01036.jpg

Build quality
    The build quality of this can is legendary -- and rightfully so. There is simply no way you're going to break them, even if you tried. And if you're particularly vandalistic, you can still replace every single part of this headphone. They feel light in your hands, and are relatively small too. This makes them perfect for chucking them in your backpack.
    These are labelled as professional DJ headphones, and are in fact used a lot by (famous) DJ's all over the world. And from a durability point of view I can definitely see why.

Cable & accessories
    The cable is extremely good in terms of durability. The plug is very good in this regard as well, since it's right angled and very stiff. The included screw-on 6.3mm adapter is also very nifty.
    However, there are a couple things which I don't like about this cable. For instance, while the cable never ties itself in knots, it does not stay straight either. It curls up awkwardly, which is not very pretty nor practical. Secondly the plug is too well-built; it is so stiff that it has destroyed multiple jacks of mobile devices, since it put too much stress on them. Eventually I started using this can with a 3.5mm extension cord just to relieve stress from my phone's jack, but this was a far from practical solution.

I personally bought the basic version, which only came with a 6.3mm adapter, and nothing else in terms of accessories. The complete version includes a pair of velour pads and a bag as well, but I doubt these are worth the extra price.

Not really an accessory, but I should also mention the swiveling ear cup. This is a feature meant of DJ's where they can swivel back one of the ear cups to hear the music from the headphones and speakers at the same time. I personally don't think this has much added value, since tilting the headphone works just as well. It also takes a bit of effort to get the fit perfect once you're swiveling it back to its original position.

Comfort is surprisingly good. While the clamping force is still relatively high, I can comfortable wear them for several hours. They only start getting uncomfortable after the 3 hour mark, and more quickly if it's hot. They come with a split head band, and adjustable cups. There is a relatively comfortable cushion on the head band and the pads are quite comfortable too. Make no mistake -- these are far from as comfortable as a pair of full size cans like my HD650 or SR-202, but they are definitely not bad considering they're portable cans.

One annoying thing that should be noted is that it usually takes several seconds before I've found a comfortable fit. And putting the headphones on with only one hand is difficult, especially without practice. Though that's true for most headphones.

Sound quality
    Overall I find this to be the most lacking area of the HD 25-1 II. For the price I'd like the sound quality to be a bit better, although all round they are decent enough for regular use by any audiophile.

Frequency response These cans have a recessed sub-bass, probably thanks to the small driver size. They are fairly flat in the mid-bass and mids, but have a recessed upper-mids/lower-treble with a massive spike at 10kHz. Overall I would describe these headphones as having a bit loose bass with a harsh treble, but with an overall feeling of neutrality.

Bass The bass packs quite a punch in terms of volume. More so than my HD650, but less than my IE80. The bass does sound a bit loose and uncontrolled, perhaps caused by the mediocre soundstage. In my experience these are well suited for electronic music, but aren't the best for things like conveying the energy of rumbling bass guitars with heavy distortion.
    They do feel fairly neutral in terms of frequency response in the bass region. And for most smooth bass guitars used in rock they perform adequately.

Mids I find the mids to be decent with male and female vocals, and in general acceptable with piano, reed instruments and horns. Not too much to say about the mids since they sound fairly normal and neutral.

Treble One of the worst factors of the HD 25-1 II. Female vocals can sound a bit harsh when high pitched, cymbals sound tinny and just weird in general, they have noticeable sibilance, and are sonically fatiguing due to their harshness. The huge 10kHz thump in the FR can probably account for all of this, and I have found that EQ'ing helps to tame this beast. It's performing sub par in this area in my experience, although I may be making it sound a lot worse than it is. It should also be noted that these do not sound bright, but rather just harsh.

Soundstage The second bad factor. The soundstage is fairly small. Instruments sound like large sound sources, and are poorly separated. In the more chaotic passages all the sound is clumped up into one big ball. There is hardly any sense of distance either.
    This is probably the same for most portable cans, and perhaps I'm spoiled by comparing to my IE80 and SR-202, but I do feel that this is the can's weakest area along with the harsh treble.

Conclusion
    Overall these cans are pretty neutral. They do lack in energy, soundstage and treble. For the money they are pretty decent. But I wouldn't get them just for the sound quality; I'm sure there are better alternatives at this price. The fact that it's indestructible, portable and isolating are its main selling points.
    They are pretty good value, but not if you go by sound alone.
    2. XxDobermanxX
      Zzzzzzzzz
      XxDobermanxX, Sep 10, 2012
    3. Tilpo
      Is it that borin?
      Tilpo, Sep 10, 2012
    4. lumberjake
      This was definitely one of the best reviews here. A good critical but fair review that is accurate. This headphone has a legion of loyal followers...and should, but it is no longer the best sounding headphone out there, not that it ever was. Nor is it bad. Its just that people must bear in mind this is an old headphone. I agree the build is the number one feature. It is rare today to get a well made and durable headphone at any price unfortunately this is the state of todays electronics. Frankly, I think its ridiculous how fragile things are made today and I swear this is intentional. At least if you buy the HD25 you will have it working 3 years from now. Good luck with any other product. Actually, if reviewed based on what its intended use, I would give the sound better marks as its made for noisy environments on DJs to field techs. You need a forwrd sound and dont need soundstage.
      I cannot believe what Amazon wants for it now.
  8. dorino
    A good headphone for home/portable at 200USD, usually less!
    Written by dorino
    Published Feb 2, 2012
    3.5/5,
    Pros - Affordable price, indestructible, comfy, and fun
    Cons - Cable is a steel cable. Not perfect.
    Very Grado-y sound signature, but closed. An amazing portable headphone. Very easy to "personalize" with other colored pads and also very easy to disassemble. HD650 cable fits when flipped over. Amazing phone for the price and portability.

Unfortunately, comfort is an issue for some (myself included). I've had to return them because they clamp my head like a vice.
  9. Mshenay
    Rugged Warrior!
    Written by Mshenay
    Published Dec 13, 2015
    Pros - DURABILITY, Easy to Drive, Lean Mids, BASS
    Cons - Amp/ Source Dependent, Dry Upper Range
    20151207_194318.jpg

Sennheiser’s Classic the HD 25-1 II,  is a headphone that’s been around longer than I have been and one that’s proven its worth over two decades now!  Bringing an excellent quality of sound and a rock solid build quality, the HD 25-1 II a true companion for the road Warrior in us all

Specs

Impedance                         70 ohms
    Sensitivity                           120dbs
    Final Score                          81/100
    BoxImghd25.jpg
    Personally, I like the simple packing included with the HD 25-1 II. As in my eyes, a simple packing leaves more funds to the design of the headphone it self! The HD 25-1 II does come with a Plastic Draw String bag in addition to a nice gold palted Screw on 6.5mm adapter
    Build Quality [10/10]
    It is built entirely out of very rugged plastic, and assembled with only two visible screws.  The drivers are attached to the headband by a plastic tooth mechanism. The headband itself features a spilt function, allowing the user to further adjust comfort, by widening or narrowing the gap between each rung of the headband. The cord for the headphone rests within a space etched into the head band itself.  The cable is a gold plated 3.5mm right angle at 2m length, and the ear pads are composed of synthetic leather.  The headphone also exerts a lot of clamping force, so it doesn’t move around much when on your head.
    HeadBand.jpg

​
    Another very interesting fact is that this particular headphone has been in production for almost two decades! As such, getting replacement parts from Sennhesier is a very cheap and simple process.  Meaning, if you ever manage to break any piece of the HD 25-1 II it’s a simple and cost effective to repair, that factor alone contributes to the sheer value of the HD 25-1 II.  I personally purchased the HD 25-1 II for use at the gym because of it’s durability and simple cost effective repairs. After having used it many times, I’ve found it to be a wonderfully rugged, well built an easy to use headphone! It’s defiantly a product I can throw into my car, and slap around my neck without having to worry about it breaking. Personally, I love that about it! I should also note that it’s the ONLY headphone I dare take into the jungle of iron machines that is my Gym!
    CableSwvilEarPads.jpg
    Utility [10/10]
    The HD 25-1 II is built for portable use regardless of where and how you’ll be using it. It’s tough enough to be dropped, bumped and banged around. Additionally its sensitivity allows it to achieve high volumes without a lot of power. The clamping force also helps this headphone to stay in place. I recommend it for anyone who’s wanted a headphone to listen while on the go through most public spaces, anywhere there could be accidents, drops, scuffs or spills.
    The HD 25-1 II is able to be driven by a wide range of sources, and it does however benefit from scaling. While the sound out of my LG V10 was acceptable, it had a much better sound quality driven from my HM901 LineOut to my ibasso PB2.
    Comfort [5/10]
    While rugged and durable, the HD 25-1 II is rather uncomfortable for listening after an about an hour.  The clamping force of this headphone can quickly fatigue anyone who is not used to On Ear Headphones.  Moreover, the pads tend are sweat magnets, especially if it’s hot whereever you are.  The HD 25-1 II will work flawlessly within reasonable temperatures, I’ve used them outside as low as 15 an as hot as 107. Though, at hotter temperatures it does get sweaty and at colder temperatures it can be a little painful on the ears.
    Isolation [10/10]
    Despite lack luster comfort, the HD 25-1 II has outstanding isolation! First time I put them on it scared me how… quiet everything was with them on!
    Ease of Use [7/10]
    The HD 25-1 II is an easy headphone to drive, though the better your source the better it will sound. When paired with entry level devices, such as cell phones or cheap Digital Audio Players, the sound will be sub optimal. It responds very well to amplification and EQ, I found it to be very enjoyable when Eq’d from my LG V10. Though, even with EQ out of the V10, the HD 25-1 II sounded it’s best driven from my Hm901 LineOut PB2.  Out of all my sources, the iPod Nano Gen 3, had the worse quality of sound  with the HD 25-1 II out of all my sources.
    Style and Design
    Visually, I love the style of the headphone. The split headband an the top mounted cables really command your attention, while the rounded cups ease your eyes down, till you've reached the end of the saw tooth adjustment rods. From a design perspective, I love the use of soft shapes an sharp lines!​
    OverViewtriplet.jpg
    Sound Quality
     ​
    Timbre [8/10]   Sound Stage [7.5/10] Detail   [8/10] Speed [6.5/10] Scale [9/10]
     ​
    Overall, when driven and sourced properly it has a very dry and even sound. The bass is a touch forward but very taut with slightly recessed low mids, with a nice leading edge to the upper mids and treble.  The sound stage is of average width and a little shallow however instruments are well layered within the sound stage and have good spatial cues.
     ​
    However, if driven from a cheaper phone or digital audio player, the HD 25-1 II can sound sluggish, muddy, incoherent and very SHARP. With a very loose overall sound, in addition when listening to low bit rate music you will notice the artifacts that are inherent to poorly encoded music. When purchased and used right out the box with lower end gear and poorly encoded mp3s it’s nothing impressive, heck I’ll dare to say that right out of my iPod Nano Gen 3 [using 320 CBR mp3s] my Beats Solo 2 sound much cleaner than the HD 25-1 II.
     ​
     Although the HD 25-1 II responds very well to EQ on low end devices and smart phones, so I recommend tinkering around with a quality Parametric EQ and DSP filters to get the best sound from these if your initial impression of them is negative.  Sadly though, there is no substitute for quality hardware.
    Finally, regardless of source or amp, the HD 25-1 II is on the slower side of “dry.” While it excels with moderately paced music, I do find it a little lack luster with faster pieces such as progressive metal.
     ​
    In terms of music genres though, the HD 25-1 II does an excellent job with them all! Personally, I LOVE it for Electronic Dance Music. The bass is easily one of the BEST I’ve heard from a headphone in this price category and form factor! It can take a nice bit of bass boost without any distortion as well!
    In conclusion, given the price, I love the HD 25-1 II. It offers unmatched durability, and an excellent high quality of sound!  When paired with higher quality digital audio players, amps and properly encoded music, the HD 25-1 II can easily outpace the Solo 2!
  10. kite7
    One of those closed back headphones everyone should at least try
    Written by kite7
    Published Apr 18, 2015
    Pros - Good all-around headphones with a smooth midrange (minus classical), fun to listen to. Great in trance/dubstep genre.
    Cons - Prominent midbass can get in the way
    My impressions is that these don’t sound significantly different than the cheaper SP version in terms of sound signature. The biggest difference is detail, more extended highs and smoother mid. If you didn’t like the SP version’s general sound you probably won’t like this either.

Comfort:
    I personally don't like on-ear headphones that much because of sweat and heat reasons and this is no exception. These will keep my ears reasonably warm on a rainy day. Takes a little fiddling around to get a good seal. My ear gets warm over half an hour. The clamping force is just right, not loose or vice grip.

Build:
    Everyone says these are built like a tank and I agree. These headphones feel very solid and hard despite their plastic build. They will be able to withstand a good amount of abuse. I don’t suggest walking around with these in the rain though without an umbrella. Good headband construction. I like the two piece headband so it makes it easier for me to wear the headphone tilted back as the balance is better.

Isolation:
    Not as good as my Westone IEMs but that is expected as these are on ears and not over the ears. If you’re a loud listener these are be ok on the bus or for walking around the city but for a really noisy subway train it might not be good enough as I found myself reaching for my IEMs.

High:

Sound somewhat rolled off. Cymbal hits decay fast. Snares sound a little thin and distant. As someone whose preferences are in a bright sound I would not say these headphones are bright as the HD558 sounds brighter to me and grados are far brighter than both. I would say in general these headphones don’t have any spike that would sound harsh; occasionally the upper range of female voices can sound a little scratchy and thin. I wouldn't listen to classical with these.

Mids are fairly forward even though it "sits behind" the bass often. Vocals sound quite close.  The mids sound smoother than the HD558 but in comparison it could sound more distant because of the bass presence. Male voices can sound nasally sometimes. I don’t hear any sibilance in voices. Midrange is pleasant to listen to most of the time, no harshness unless the recording was like that. HD25 does a lot good in this area with no glaring issues.

Bass:

The midbass hump is prominent on every song and makes sounds sound warm. This can be good or bad depending on your preference. To me, it seems like the bass is the loudest part of all the whole frequency response. The mid bass is the body of the sound for these headphones. I notice it’s a little boomy as well.  These are good headphones for DJs as songs from deadmau5 or music in dubstep and trance genre will shine as the pacing of bass beat is very suited for these headphones. These are the headphones that your pop loving friend might like as well. Music with rhythmic repeating bass beats goes well with the HD25. Bass reaches depths that surprised me for the size of this headphone.

Soundstage:

Fair for a closed headphone, doesn't sound significantly wider or deeper than my Westone UM2. No artificial wideness or anything like that. I would not use these for gaming as pin pointing can be hard. I never get the feeling the sound is coming from outside my head but quite the opposite; the sound is coming from inside my head and stays there. A closed headphone like the ATH W1000 is much closer sounding to an open headphone than HD25 but that’s another discussion.

Detail:

Don't expect globs of micro detail but enough for enjoyment. You can hear nuisances but they are more blended in and again, the bass makes it harder to hear these small details. I wouldn't use these for mixing or for critical listening. Separation is reasonably acceptable but plucking of string instruments are not as distinct as grados for example.

These headphones are fun to listen to. If you are very critical of detail these are not for you. This is one of the closed back headphones everyone talks about so I figured I'd try it. These sound somewhat like Westone UM2 with a smoother midrange, more bass and midbass tossed in and less dry sounding. I will stick with my UM2 because I think the bass is a tad much for me but otherwise I can see why these are popular.

1. RenZixx
      Well that mid-bass you complain about, just stuff some cotton or polyfill and it should get some sub-bass and reduce the mid-bass slightly. Well I do have a heavily modded pair.
      RenZixx, Sep 3, 2018