Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone

4.31915/5,
  1. jackgu1988
    Amazing headphones, but you already know that
    Written by jackgu1988
    Published Mar 24, 2016
    Pros - Sound quality, Confort, Isolation
    Cons - none so far
    No introduction is needed for this pair. The "rumours" about the sound quality are true. Some people disagree that they are good for music production, but I am not using them for this reason, so I cannot comment on that. When I am listening to music I prefer it to come to my ears as the musicians and sound engineers intended to, and I think that these headphones are doing it to a great extent.

Some people also find them to be uncomfortable. Well, they are not as comfortable as HD 598 for example, but this is to be expected from a closed-back pair. I would not expect more comfort than what they give. I'd describe my head as medium size, so people with large heads may find them a bit more uncomfortable.

Overall, very, very highly recommended!
  2. The Shane Train
    Buy these. Stop looking for any other headphones.
    Written by The Shane Train
    Published Feb 14, 2014
    Pros - Amazing sound, split headband, rotatable cups, indestructible, crazy light.
    Cons - Can be uncomfortable after an extremely long time wearing them, but still very comfortable.
    Best headphones I have ever used. Ever. Period.  You will not use better headphones than these.  I directly compared these to Beats Studios the other day and the Beats almost made my eardrums bleed after using my good old Sennheisers.  OK, that was an exaggeration, but you get the point.
    1. thatBeatsguy
      You've only compared them to the Studios. Have them pick on something their own size like a DT1350 or a Monster DNA.
      thatBeatsguy, Feb 20, 2014
  3. shasha
    Calling them a great value is an insult
    Written by shasha
    Published Jul 20, 2013
    Pros - sensitive, durable, modular replacement parts
    Cons - headband can be a bit tight when new
    I'm pretty far from what I'd consider to be an audiophile.  I know that based on the extremes that people can go with this stuff that I'm never going to bring myself to justifying that kind of obsessive behavior, but I do believe in quality and performance and when you find something that works that the price is usually well worth it.  These headphones are the definition of money well spent.  I had bought blister pack junk in the $50-100 range for years with about every single year requiring replacement.  Not only did they not hold up, but they just never really sounded great.  I think that the sound quality has been discussed to death on these over the years as they are far from being a new product.  The only thing that I'll mention in that regard is that they are one of the most sensitive sets of headphones I've ever heard. When I was shopping for a "big boy" pair of cans I A/B'd every single headphone I could get my hands on and I discovered pretty early on that some of the higher end ones were going to require a dedicated headphone amp.  These do not.  I would be afraid to put an amp through these out of fear of blowing my ears out.  Portable, computers, etc., all drive these to insane volume levels with no problems and to me that means that their amps don't have to work as hard so I have less chance of distortion from overdriving the circuit.

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but it makes sense to me.

The reason why I'm posting this "review" is because I recently replaced the cord on mine.  Now it wasn't that it wasn't working any longer, but I wanted a coily one so that I wouldn't be running over it with my chair anymore and I came across this place in my online search for a replacement.  It's funny because this was the place that I found when I was shopping for them the first time.  I thought that it would be cool to do a ten year trial period review.  :wink:

I've had to replace the earpads once.  I've replaced the cord with a coily copper one from Sennheiser.  Now I don't get all wrapped up in the oxygen free depleted uranium titanium shielded kevlar cable stuff, but I did notice a marked difference in sound quality.  Not massive, but noticeable.  While I'm sure some will argue that is because of the copper I honestly chalk it up to the fact that the other cable had been run over about 2 million times in the last decade by a chair containing my large backside.  I'd like to see how well you performed after that kind of abuse.  The fact that it still worked in the first place is amazing to be honest.

I'm not an occasional headphone user either.  I'd say that over the course of a month there is probably about 3 days in there that I don't use them.  I have never had a second's worth of problems with them in that time.

Some people may not like the way they sound.  I love them, but everyone's taste is different.  But I don't think that I've ever owned anything as reliable and if you calculate the money that I spent on headphones prior to buying these I would have saved a few bucks if I had just bought these in the first place.  If you figure out the cost of replacing $50 clunkers over a ten year period it's not even worth considering.  I've not only enjoyed outstanding performance the last decade, but I've actually come out about $250 ahead in savings on garbage.  Subtract about $100 for replacement parts (pads and cable) and I still have $150 leftover and a pair of headphones that are still working as well as they did when I bought them ten years ago.  I don't think that I even have anything in my house that's ten years old anymore (besides my kid and his days are numbered).

One of the best investments in anything I've ever made and I can't recommend them highly enough.
    1. Headzone
      I always see all my favourite artists/dj's hanging these on their neck..
      Headzone, Jul 21, 2013
  4. Ulvetann
    Really good stuff
    Written by Ulvetann
    Published Feb 28, 2013
    Pros - Small, lightweigt, solid, interchangable parts, easy to fall in love with.
    Cons - minor cons. as in easy to look past, due to all the pros.
    Being a non-professional, but a general music lover, My review will probably be in layman's terms, but why not. It will give the perspective from someone that observe music in a different way than the purely analytic fashion.

Once, I had a great home stereo consisting of NAD CD-player, amplifier and B&W speakers with some fancy cabling. -So I am not completely rookie regarding what sounds good and not. Neither am I a person that thinks that resonating boomboxes (cars) driving by is coolz because of lotz of basz. I like to hear all kinds of music. Anything from Mozart'ish music to music 'designed for serious PA-systems'.

Being without my stereo for the longest time and getting tired of the 'noise' rendered by my speakers integrated in the laptop, I figured out it was beyond due time to get myself some headphones. Getting a proper soundsystem is out of the question due to limited space and girlfriend.

First problem was: What am I looking for. Go for a pair that is more fitting for the stuff you listen to the most. If You only listen to classical orchestras and alike, I guess You should stop reading. You need to look for stax-phones. Very Expensive. Only worth having if you are a feinschmecker.
    My playlist when trying out music is stuff like Deep Purple, Child in Time, Roger Waters Amused to Death, preferably the whole album. Nina Simone, Feeling good, Peggy Lee, Fever, Jazz, Blues. That kind.
    That'll tell me wether there is bass at all, if there is decent mid-range, and also if the treble is non-offensive.

By reading a lot of reviews, these phones came out pretty good. Although! -The impression I was given by other reviews were that they were a little expensive compared to the sound given. This was when my critically inclined mental alarmbells went off. Things like being warm, 'muffled', having a 'veil' between the music and ear, making the music feel distant. I then recalled the good old days, where I built my own speakers, -the horror of screwing up the expensive hobby project, just to later have that Aha!- feeling of having to actually 'run in' the speakers before they are able to show off what they are good for.

Eventually, I decided for  these ones. I know Sennheiser from before, and I have never had/heard about any real issues about them before, Not being tempted by any fancy modern bling with buttons, sliders and glossy paper/plastic, I found a dusty box pushed in the back of the shelf.

The reviews were per se correct. warm, muffled, not very precise music. -So I bought them.
    Day one. One big ''Meh. I exchanged the fake skin pads with the velour ones. Much more comfy.
    and playing music, wearing them for six hours, before my ears got physically tired. I have a small head by the way. If you have a full size head, perhaps consider something else. They are a little tight, but I am trying to expand the headband(s) a little by the use of something wider than my head. This is probably the only minor con i have with the HD 25-1 II.
    Day two. Sleeping well, doing other stuff, going back to my headphones, turn on the music. Same repertoire as yesterday. - There is a difference already. there is actually a soundstage there now, albeit small. they veil is disappearing and it doesn't sound that warm and muffled anymore. It is not neutral sound, but on the other hand, if I were to listen to a lot of classical, I wouldn't buy 'rock-speakers' anyways. I read reviews about how the phones were lacking in the upper levels, that sounds like -'S', -'SH', -'CH' etc would be... ...not perfect. Well, day two improved from day one in this aspect too.
    The bass wasn't 'fluffy' anymore, but still deep. actually plenty deep, imo. and the midrange had improved a lot. from having to 'look' for it, to get it all the way to your ear without having to notice it was missing. Six hours, before they get uncomfy. -and after six hours, anyone will get tired in their heads/ears.
    The headbands are not noticeable... ...and the cable is not in the way, nor noticeable.
    Day three. Hah. Even better. After a total of 18 hours, the phones are now ready to be listened to.
    You could say the virginity of it is now gone, and it is ready for some proper exercise and training.
    I am not going to blast the volume on max for any reason, just so its said, but now i don't mind my equally critical friends to listen to them.
    Day four. time to write a review.
    I can only assume the sound in them will get better and better as time goes by.
    The only, and ONLY thing that would make these better, were if the sound picture was wider and deeper.
    It isn't a must, but it would be nice. After listening to High-end systems with SNELL speakers, more expensive than my pants can carry the cash, an open environment, -or the lack of it iin this case -will be burnt into your mind, and one will never be completely satisfied, unless buying super expensive stax with equally expensive amplifier(s), used on an equally expensive high end stereo setup.

These are lightweight, durable, good bass, good mid-range, good treble, even for sibilant music (Beware of Justin Bieber... ...the phones can't take that. The speakers will crack and fall into a hot,deep pit where beelzebub and his minions are removing impurities from the liquids in their forges.)
    Seriously, the higher areas of music are just fine in these phones. -already by day three/four.
    Every part can be exchanged.
    If only the Amperior was cheaper, I'd go for that one. It is better, but kinda expensive if one doesn't have the money for it, you know what i say.

All in all. You can't go wrong with these ones. -unless you have extrordinaire music taste, are analythical instead of enjoying the music, like a nice glass of brewerage. I don't taste and spit the red wine. I drink it, and enjoy it for what its worth..
      ezzony and philiphotog like this.
  5. paulmvg
    What can I ask for?
    Written by paulmvg
    Published Feb 13, 2013
    Pros - Sound quality, changeable parts
    Cons - confort maybe? and narrow soundstage
    I never thought that there's such a headphone like this existing! Everything that I'm looking for for a headphone, I found it all on this hp. Cool looks (at least for me), changeable parts (especially the cables), superb clarity with excellent bass response, and lastly, known for its superb durability.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. Sweden
      Why do you give 4.5 for comfort then?
      Sweden, Feb 14, 2013
    3. paulmvg
      Definitely good for dubsteps but don't expect too much of mid bass. It does pretty well on the sub bass region if the track demands for it. What really shines on these hp's (still inline with dubstep tracks) is how it deliver the synths. You'll get that precise sparkle and warmth. Well about the comfort, during my first week on it, I find it very uncomfortable. But, after 3 weeks of straight usage, it ain't hurt my ears anymore.
      paulmvg, Feb 19, 2013
    4. paulmvg
      Edit:
      If you're into the presentation of details of the instruments. Get this as it presents 'em well.
      paulmvg, Feb 22, 2013
  6. cocolinho
    Perfect on-the-go headphones
    Written by cocolinho
    Published Nov 11, 2012
    Pros - Sound quality, construction, spare parts available
    Cons - do not fold
    Old timer which is still the best.
    I love its dynamic sound but can brings fatigue after some hours.
    Every things is there :bass, mids & highs with good details.
    Every parts can be changed to make sure it will last long,
    The only complaints I have : it doesn't fold [​IMG]

I think it is still the best on-the-go headphones

1. jollyjoggler
      this thingie it is designed to be loud ... no more, no less. I hve them too, but imho they have too much bass. the frequency response is not for audiophile listening, keep that in mind. accurate playback is another matter. :wink: they are also not the most comfortable headphones ...
      as dj cans they are hard to beat. I use it mainly for field recording.
      jollyjoggler, Nov 12, 2012
    2. cocolinho
      I believe comfort & bass level satisfaction highly depend on every listener. I find HD25 out of my StudioV quite balanced, bass are not overpowered & they are rather clean to me. Highs can be sibilant depending on the tracks though
      Reading your comment I guess you would love KRK KNS8400 headphones :wink:
      cocolinho, Nov 12, 2012
  7. alvincapalad
    Legend ENG lives on
    Written by alvincapalad
    Published May 16, 2012
    Pros - accurate, very good imaging, portable, replaceable parts
    Cons - comfort for others
    The HD 25 series has been around for 15 years and this has been my 2nd purchase of the famed dual-band headphone.

LL.jpg

Value: 10 years ago, if you are purchasing a $200 headphone it would've sounded absurd. Thanks to Beats by Dre, $200 headphones are now a steal. For $200, you get 2 pairs of ear pads (1) velour and (1) synthetic, also you get a nylon carrying bag, and of course the star of the show, the HD 25-1 II.

Audio Quality: HD25s are a favorite among DJs and broadcasters, although it is primarily designed for studio use, I rarely see this headphone used for mixing and remastering. The most common headphone, I see in studios are the ATH-M50 and SRH-840s.

Bass: It is there, present and just about right for a variety of tracks such as rock, hiphop, jazz, RnB, acoustic. But, if you are a basshead, this might not be for you. Bass is not deep as the ATH-M50s and the pacing is not as fast. This headphone will suffer from house music and dubstep.

Mids: Now this is HD25s cream, the mids are very revealing, it is an ENG headphone after all, it will be unforgiving on bad recorded tracks as you will hear all the pops on the vocals. This is great if you like absolute precision when mixing. And, those who love vocals will definitely enjoy this.

Highs: Average, rolled-off in some tunes, very common in studio headphones. Purposely done, not to fatigue your ears for long listening session.

Design and Comfort: HD25s are a ruggedly designed headphones, they are used almost everywhere by professionals. It is a favorite among DJs because of its isolation. This headphone can cancel out 20db of noise, better than those noise-cancelling headphones with batteries. Standing right into a noisy washing machine, I can't hear a thing with only 60% volume from an iPod, that's amazing. With isolation, you lose comfort. But in my case, I find this headphone very comfortable, the padding are well-balanced to distribute the clamping force of the band.

LL.jpg

If you have a small ear, then it be uncomfortable. For medium and large ears, they'll be comfy since they will sit just on the inner side of the ear. Build quality is very good, plastics are tough, but not as polished as say Audio-Technicas. The plastics on the HD-25s are unpolished and raw. But, since I own this for 10 years, they are very reliable.

Split band will secure the headphone better, although, I'm not a fan of it. I use them as a single band. Also, there are a lot of aftermarket parts for this headphone, no worrying in breaking them. Replaceable ear cups, headband, cables with different flavors, ear pads and more.
    LL.jpg

Overall: The past 10 years, nothing has changed. But, this little headphone will continue to wow new enthusiasts and it will continue on production forever. If there is something to improve, it is to polish the plastic make it look more presentable and classy. Overall, it is still a highly recommended headphone, and it is my favorite DJ headphone for the clubs and commute.

H20Fidelity likes this.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. Sweden
      I find the HD25-1 pretty comfortable, but 5 out of 5? Try a Sennheiser HD-555 or PX100 and come back and give a score : )
      Sweden, May 17, 2012
    3. alvincapalad
      Sennheiser HD-555 and PX100 are open-type headphones which I will not even consider using as a utility headphone for DJing and monitoring. Both headphones leak tunes and has no isolation. HD-25s are designed for professional use than for everyday listening pleasures.
      alvincapalad, May 17, 2012
    4. amateriat
      Nice, concise review of these headphones. (I've also written a review elsewhere on the site.) One thing I'm hoping for at some point is Sennheiser offering the in-line remote control that comes standard with their new Amperior 'phones separately for those of us using the HD 25-1 IIs. How about it, guys?
      amateriat, Jun 20, 2012
  8. Thing Fish
    amazing
    Written by Thing Fish
    Published Feb 14, 2012
    Pros - Everything
    Cons - Nothing
    I bought these puppies just before Christmas and they have been a revelation.

I can't tell you how much they suit my listening tastes. I love close listening with lots of treble and tight bass and these deliver this in abundance.

Never before have I been this sad to take a pair of headphones off.

I used these for traveling to work but have been using them more and more inside as my main headphone. I can appreciate that the sound may not be for everyone (no sound is) but if it is then, sweet baby Buddha are you in for a treat.

The build quality is exceptional and the anti urban styling spot on. I even (unlike most) like the pleather comfort!

I can't see me replacing them anytime soon.
    1. GL1TCH3D
      Nice to see you like them xP
      You can always get them custom painted if you don't like the plain black look, I know a person that does that...
      GL1TCH3D, Feb 14, 2012
  9. amende
    Amazing Headphones
    Written by amende
    Published Dec 31, 2011
    Pros - Great Clear Sound
    Cons - Very Tight on My Head
    I love these headphones. I just recently got these headphones for Christmas and they are AMAZING. In the past few years I have created a huge love for music and found this site when looking for some really good quality headphones. I love the sound quality of vinyl music and these headphones are great because they work with my record player which uses a 6.3mm headphone input. Hands down the sound quality of these headphones are the best. They don't have too much bass and have a nice clear precise sound. My only complaint is that at first the headphones are really tight. I am an average weight 21 year old girl and even I thought these headphones were tight at first. I do have to mention that I do have a huge scar on my head because I had brain surgery when I was 16, but even considering that I thought they were tight fitting. Despite the tight fitting design, you can't beat the quality of these headphones. Buy these if you want a truly good sound quality from your headphones.
    1. Enter Darkness
      Omg a girl with sennheiser hd 25 1 ii? I love you. Welcome to the club. These are absolutely amazing.
      Enter Darkness, Jan 1, 2012
  10. tds101
    I luv 'em!
    Written by tds101
    Published Dec 31, 2011
    Pros - SQ above all else,...
    Cons - Kinda tight,...but not too bad.
    The above says it all, as well as numerous other reviews. I luv these supra aural cans,...and I'll keep them till I either go deaf or die!