High fidelity, noise isolating in-ear headphone with remote and microphone

RHA T10i

3.60714/5,
Tags:
  • High fidelity, noise isolating in-ear headphone with remote and microphone

Recent Reviews

1. Tom22
    RHA's First Flagship! Hit or a Miss? +T20 Comparison!
    Written by Tom22
    Published Sep 20, 2015
    3.0/5,
    Pros - Robust build, Ergonomic, Filter Tuning System, Lots of goodies.
    Cons - sound was a the most disappointing aspect, unnatural
    About a year back RHA unveiled what would be their flagship earphone the T10/ T10i, with a retail price of about $189-199. The overall design and the material that went in manufacturing these earphones certainly made headlines in the audio world. (Injection molded stainless steel housing)
    A year later RHA has released a successor to the T10 in the form of the T20 as their latest flagship, both of which I reviewed in the following link (both in video and written form) below

Lets see how the T10 fairs after the hype and the attention has settled down.
    Disclaimer: As with every review, price is always in consideration when rating and commenting about the gear I am reviewing. Also, I want to thank @ThickT for lending me his personal pair of RHA T10i for this review and the following subsequent comparisons.

Below is my Full video review over on youtube of the T10i and my T20 review for reference. (i have also included my comparison video of the T20 vs T10i as well). Enjoy!

Accessories:
    The T10s come with an abundance of accessories, and for good reason considering, it’s a premium product commanding almost a $300 price tag.  It comes with:
    3 interchangeable filters (bass- black, reference-silver, treble-gold)
    A Metal Platelet  to display the above mentioned filters
    6 sets of single flange (of the hybrid variety, in various sizes)
    2 sets of biflanges (2 sizes)
    2 sets of foam tips
    An elegant metal frame to hold the included eartips
    A large zipper carrying case (to store the earphones and all the eartips)
    A clothing clip
    An Exceptionally Long standing 3 year warranty.

Summing up, theres not much more you can really ask for in terms of accessories, the T10s have certainly impressed me with the amount of goodies it comes with.
    Overall: 10/10

20150730_194022.jpg

Build Quality:
    The T10i is absolutely rock solid, the earpiece housing is made of injected molded stainless steel, and they feel like very sturdy, like it can survive the full brunt of a hammer strike.  Continuing to impress is the cables, now I’ve experienced these cables before in my review of the Brainwavz R3, where I claimed that I would be able to play a game of tug of war with my friends and walk away listening to my R3s on my way home, I feel the exact same way with the T10is! The T10is have a cable that is almost rope-like, and its very thick with a heavy duty rubber sheathing that resistance towards tangling. However, there are a few downsides to this robust cable 1) the extra weight it carries can easily be felt when moving around 2) the cable is unusually long (I’m not tall by any means, 5’7 but the y split sits just slightly under my belly button), which in addition with the weight of the cable is very noticeable when especially when doing intensive activities, without the use of the cable cinch.
    Overall: 10/10

20150902_133132.jpg

20150902_133110.jpg
    20150902_131849.jpg

20150902_131829.jpg

20150902_132942.jpg

Comfort:
    Despite the plentiful use of premium steel and various other metals used, the T10is are quite comfortable. The housing has a very organic and rounded, stubby earpiece that may not work for everyone but in my ears they slip in perfectly. The added weight of the earpieces caused no irritation from the housing on my outer and inner ear. Overall, nicely done on RHA in terms of ergonomics.
    *note I would have preferred the nozzle being angled 45- 60 degrees to help improve the comfort and relieve some pressure from the outer ear.
    Overall: 8/10

20150902_131628.jpg
    20150902_131643.jpg

Isolation:
    I would say they are slightly above average. They are a vented design, however, so if your seeking complete silence, look elsewhere. Otherwise, I think the T10 will work well for a large majority of the population.
    Overall: 7.5/10

20150902_133110.jpg

20150902_133100.jpg
    20150902_131456.jpg

Sound Quality:
    This is the quick skinny on the overall sound signature of the T10i (combining my findings on all the filters).  The T10i, was intended for the newer generation listening to electronic, dubstep, hip hop and various other contemporary bassy music.  It doesn’t try to be subtle in the least, with a very substantial and aggressive bass boost.

After listening to the T10i for an extended period of time, I think I would change my ranking scale slightly.  I would give the edge to the Treble filters, due to the extra extension and it’s ability to wring out just a bit more detail. However, as stated back in my first impression video, the treble can be a bit much (which wouldn’t make the T10i as my recommendation for a “sit down and listen for hours on end” kind of earphone.  I personally feel that most head-fiers, would probably prefer the reference filter, a bit more due to “slightly less brash” treble.

The following review is based on my findings with the treble filter, I will include my thoughts on the other filters in the following section.

Bass: Let’s get this out of the way, the T10i is a very bassy earphone. This is true no matter what filters you equip them with. I would say, if you’re a basshead with a large budget, the T10i should be on your short list of earphones to try.
    For me however, I found the bass too much. It has a substantial in the midbass hump, which makes the T10i somewhat bloated, in conjunction with the slower nature of the bass, would make the basshead say “Dat bass”. The extension in the bass is largely shadowed by the very large midbass hump, but I was able to hear it reach low as well.  For me, I felt the bass was somewhat poorly intergrated, and just felt like they turned up the bass dial a bit more then they should have.

Midrange: The midrange is quite recessed, and takes quite a nose dive, especially in the upper midrange, which causes a sort of veiling for causing females to lose their presence and body, making rather thin sounding and unnatural sounding.  Also, the midbass hump did bleed into the lower mids, causing some blurring to male vocals to help give way for more bass impact and thickness.

Treble: With the treble filters, obviously this part of the sound is definitely dialed up a notch (+3db precisely, where in the frequency response, RHA did not indicate). To my ears I feel like the treble filters bumped up somewhere between the lower to mid treble. This emphasizes the sort of “metallic” texture of the T10i, which can definitely make an “electronic mixes” more energetic. However, I felt that this treble boost is poorly implemented as it made the dip in the upper midrange even more apparent. Due to the overall proportion of the bass, midrange, and treble, this made the T10s somewhat brash or fatiguing (I would image this would apply to a lot of people as I have a slightly higher tolerance to sibilance than others).
    (*Remember this is with the treble filter)). The treble appears to roll off quite quickly shortly after, making the T10 still somewhat dark sounding and rather congested.

Soundstage and Separation- I would say average, it has solid width, lacking in depth but separation is very impressive, despite the bass boost.

Reference Filter- While I rated the reference filters slightly behind the Treble, I believe, the reference filter would have the widest appeal at least as far as head-fiers are considered. The tonality is more natural, dialing back the treble to making female a bit less peaky, making the overall sound smoother but not as “overly” smooth as the bass filter.

Bass Filter- I found the bass filter to be my least favorite, because I felt while the bass satisfied my “inner basshead” and then some. I found the treble to even rolled off.  The overall sound signature is quite dark, making it more congested sounding, which made string instruments lack the realism or “bite” you get from cymbals.  On a positive note, the bass filter help mask the thinner treble that’s more apparent with the other filters.
    Overall: 5/10

20150902_133239.jpg

20150902_133226.jpg

In conclusion, I feel the T10i was really a “hit and miss” for the most part. They are certainly on the right track in terms of build, comfort, isolation and accessories.
    However in terms of the tuning, I think the T10i missed the mark here.  However, I think the T10i was a stepping stone to the what become of its successor the T20,
    (I had also reviewed RHA T20, which was just recently released, here is the link to the T20 review (both video and written)

Last notes:
    I personally couldn’t see myself using the T10i on a daily basis, and I would be hesitant to pay the full retail for them.  I think if you’re a basshead, a possible better and more afforable alternative is the JVC FXD80, and Brainwavz S5.  For an idea of the sound signature, at a cheaper budget, you can try the RHA MA600i, which takes on a similar sort of extreme V shape signature.

Overall Rating: 40.5/50=81%
  2. williamtdr
    Great sound, but beware of the plug!
    Written by williamtdr
    Published Aug 7, 2015
    3.0/5,
    Pros - Great overall build quality, long cable, stress relief on plug, large sound stage
    Cons - Plug breaking after four days of use, poor support/warranty, ear plugs get uncomfortable with long periods of use
    Bought a pair of these this last week from an eBay seller - new in box, several available, for USD $175 with no tax and free shipping. Not bad!

My M-100s were in for repair (needed some screws replaced). I was temporarily using my old HDJ-1500s, but was appalled at how bad the sound stage was, and wanted something similar to the sound of my M-100s was, preferably more portable. So I settles on the T10is, which my first pair of high-end IEMs. The sound is awesome for their size, although in some songs the mid come across a bit too strongly. If you want an in-depth look over of the sound quality, I suggest reading one of the other reviews who are much more qualified than I am to judge. However, coming from my M-100s, with the bass filters on I was really pleased with how similar they sounded.

Four days into having these, I took them out of my pocket from the drive to work to find that the headphone plug was broken in half at about a 45 degree angle, at the halfway point with the barrel exposed. I have since been able to bend them back into about a 10 degree angle or so, and they still sound fine. But now I have to worry about these breaking off in the jacks of my devices, and I can't keep them in my pocket anymore if the plug will break completely - thus negating the purpose of being a more portable quality set for me.

Furthermore, RHA refuses to help with the problem since it wasn't purchased through an authorized retailer. I work for a company that makes a lot of devices, and when something like this happens we'd want to do everything we could to both help the user and then figure out what went wrong so we could improve the design for our future products. Disappointed with how they dropped the ball on this one.

So, left with two broken pairs of headphones at the end of the week. One which will be fixed, one which I'll probably be stuck slapping an extender on the already very long plug for the rest of its life. If you're thinking of picking up a pair of these, be very careful with the plug!
    1. whitemass
      I have too comment, it was foolish of you to think it was a bright idea to throw higher end IEMs into your pant pocket.
      You've gotta be a little more thoughtful, and a lot less reckless.
      whitemass, Aug 7, 2015
    2. Tom22
      @williamtdr you need to use those carrying cases that comes with the earphones! their expensive gear, gotta take of them!
      Tom22, Aug 8, 2015
    3. WhatToChoose
      I don't think this review is valid, unfortunately :/

Firstly, you are expecting warranty coverage after buying it off of ebay. I don't know of any manufacturer that honors their warranty through unauthorized sellers. If the person you bought it from on ebay said that it had a warranty, then you probably should ask them about it.

Secondly, most warranties don't cover mishandling by the user.

Also, I can personally vouch for RHA's customer support. I had an issue with mine which seems to have gone away, and they were very prompt with their replies and help. They would be a 5/5 for customer support in my book. In your case, you wouldn't really be a customer, since you did not buy it directly from them, even though it is their product.

I always keep my T10s in a case, even though they are built so well. Honestly, I am not sure if the standrdized 3.5mm jack itself can be reinforced.

Sorry this happened to you man, but I don't think the T10s deserve to be faulted due to the nature of the failure.
      WhatToChoose, Aug 8, 2015
  3. atoniolin
    For the times you want to head bang, and don't want to rip your phones
    Written by atoniolin
    Published Jun 12, 2015
    Pros - Fun sound, very solid build, excellent customer service from RHA
    Cons - Not superbly detailed, lacking separation, some sound leakage.
    RHA T10i Review

I got mine second hand, so no pretty pictures, unfortunately. I am writing this review based on my experience with these and I am not related to RHA or any audio company for that matter. Basically, I’m a music enthusiast.
    I’m here to write a short newbie review. So, please excuse the informality.

Conclusion
    In my experience, many reviews are TL;DR, so I post the conclusion first as it seems like a good preface as well.
    IMO, the engineers behind the T10i were trying to offer the consumers an excellent build quality IEM, with the sound signature that most consumers are used to. I think they bet of people using Spotify and listening to modern recorded music, which I heard, are brightly recorded, so the T10i complements these nicely.
    Other audiophiles who are looking for clarity, flat response, etc. might be disappointed, but hey, let’s give credit where it’s due. RHA managed to create a classy IEM which also feels high class when held, with customizable filters, etc, which I think is superb!

Why I keep these:
    1. Excellent customer support
    2. Can sleep in these as they fit in my ear pinna
    3. Superb build quality & durability for frequently moving people like me
    4. Great sound for genres I like (EDM, rock, metal)

Why I might sell them:
    Times when I prefer:
    1. More detail and clarity
    2. Flatter response
    3. Need for extreme noise isolation

Customer Service
    What urged me to write this review is the exemplary customer service I received from RHA.
    I am extremely impressed with their superior customer service. I bought my pair second hand from Ebay a few weeks ago and was happy with the T10i. It was fitted with the bass filter when it arrived, so I assumed the seller was using that filter. I proceeded to try the treble filter and was shocked to hear the difference (read below).
    Then, I put on the reference filter and noticed that something was fishy, that somehow there was volume imbalance. When I rechecked the filters, I noticed that one of the filters had not been cut! Nervous, I wrote RHA an email and they promptly replied, offering a free replacement by Royal Mail First Class. I was over the moon! Impressive!
    Just in case you are curious what happened:
    IMG_4354.jpg

I received the complementary filter by RHA:
    IMG_4402.jpg

Build Quality & Accessories:
    I have nothing but respect for the MIM (metal injection moulding) process used to make the shell of these IEMs; they feel premium and solid in my hands. I absolutely love the finish!
    There are also ear hooks which retain their shape after you take them off. I find them useful as I can easily distinguish the left and right drivers immediately.
    Not to mention the red and blue colour coding beneath the drivers; but for times in the dark, when I am are fiddling with the T10i and going to sleep with them, the ear hooks help . Yes, these were moulded in such a way that I can sleep on the side of my pillow and not feel them poking at my ear canals; another plus!
    Other accessories such as bi-flange, foam tips, etc are very useful but I find myself using bi-flange + foam tips.

Isolation:
    Owning a pair of ER4S for the times when I prefer a more analytical sound, I find the isolation of the T10i not close to the ER4S. It does isolate well and I usually cannot external sounds when I listen to music, but when music is off, I can tell that the ER4S isolates way, way better.

Sound based on “Reference Filter”
    Firstly, as this is my first review, I am not sure how good my reference is to other reviewers. I tend to own both bright and warm headphones for different listening moods. These are what I’d consider warm (or dark?)

I got here last because I think that the above points were more salient features of the T10i. In terms of SQ, I’d say that the T10i is for those who love warm, thick sound, it tends to cover the stage with macro details beautifully and leave those details you heard with analytical phones like the HD 600 or my ER4S missing.

Source: iBasso DX 90, Epiphany Acoustics O2/ODAC + Spotify Premium or 320kbps MP3
    For me, that means that for the days when I want to hear music, and rock my head to the bass lines, or to the drums and toms, then I’d grab the T10is. I find that I use them for modern pop, EDM, rock, etc and they fit the bill nicely. I’m now listening to Avenged Sevenfold while typing this and the bass remind me of the DT 770 and Custom One Pro by Beyerdynamic.

What I notice is that for rock or metal, the vocals seem a bit more pushed back, but still I can discern the lyrics. The lead singer seems to stand pretty close to the band, giving the perspective that I am further away from the stage. To me, I think this means that the lower midrange seems suppressed due to the lifted highs and lows.
    Male vocals come out pretty nicely because the added bass gives more masculine, baritone sound, which I prefer when listening to Rammstein. It gives a feeling of aggression, grave dark voice which I think is the best part of Rammstein, although I don’t speak German. Ich Will and Sonne are best heard with the T10i. These song comes out a bit hazy in the midrange, with emphasis on the vocals, on the bass, which is great in this genre, IMO.

For electronica, I am now listening to House Music by Benny Bernassi and the initial intro bass beats are so punch, while the treble tilt means that I still can enjoy the highs. I also used the T10i and kept rocking on to Skrillex; very satisfied.

One comment I have is on female vocalists, even on modern pop like Meghan Trainor and Taylor Swift. Due to the enhanced bass, I must admit that I find that the vocals come out a bit meaty and unnatural for female vocalists. If I just want a good beat to sing to, then it is fine and I love the beats in their tracks with the T10i, as I said, the T10i seems to be engineered for modern pop tracks. But for the moments when the audio critic emerges, I can clearly say that the bass emphasis removes some of the sparkliness I love from these singers.

Soundstage is above average, instrumental separation is fine for IEMs of this price, I guess. I used to love headphones and IEMs have not impressed me with their sound stage and instrumental separation, even the JH Layla. Again, all these are IMO.
    I think as a result of the lifted bass and treble, the midrange seems pushed back, and meant that sometimes instruments seemed mashed / blended together. It’s not noticeable in tracks with a few instruments but when you have metal with many instruments, then it might be as I described.

To end the section on reference sound, I want to say this, if you are looking for IEMs with great DROP, DROP DROP, T10is are awesome! Geez, makes you want to replay the DROP again and again. Awesome, man!

Filters (relative to “reference”):
    Why I put “reference” is because I expected reference to be flat response, but apparently, the tuning of the reference is RHA’s reference. Which is quite enjoyable, but not flat response, per se.
    These filters do alter the sound at certain corner frequencies, but the general signature is quite similar to the “reference” filter.
    Bass Filter:

These have some black material behind the filter. Even more than the reference filter, as I can see. Mid-bass hump is very obvious, IMO relative to the reference. I think there is some loss in highs extension, but the resultant sound becomes boomy due to the elevated mid-bass hump.

Treble Filter:
    Initially when I was waiting for the replacement filters, I thought the treble filter gave a pretty good sonic balance to the T10i because of the reduced bass response, but after I received the reference filters, I stuck to them. There was so shrillness or harshness since the treble wasn’t too screamy in the first place. The treble filter reduced the bass further, but the bass was still very present, and I didn’t perceive any benefit from the treble filter, IMO. However, the treble became too enhanced and sometimes too piercing for my liking. So, I stuck to the treble filters.

Conclusion:
    See above :wink:
  4. zim2411
    Good build quality, awful sound quality
    Written by zim2411
    Published May 22, 2015
    1.5/5,
    Pros - Solidly built, lots of tips available
    Cons - Very poor sound quality, the lows overpower everything
    I bought these from the limited selection available at an Apple Store, as I was heading on a trip the next day and needed some new IEMs for the plane ride. I read some reviews and noticed a lot of people cited the bassy response, but with the treble filters and a little EQing they were good. I decided to give them a shot... and after 5 minutes of listening packed them up to return to the store. The treble filters barely improve things, and the "little" EQing turned out to be knocking nearly 10 dB off the low end, and boosting 8 dB on the high end to get things sounding somewhat clear. Without the EQ, well mixed music sounds very muddy. Music that was originally mixed very bright ends up sounding just okay, so that's fine if you're listening to the latest pop songs, but anything else just is unlistenable. Very disappointing overall. I didn't even bother trying out isolation or any other tips over the default tips, there's just no way the other tips would have the impact needed to get these neutral sounding.
    1. Rearwing
      I have the T10's and found that they took a little while to acclimatise to, but once I sorted out the correct tips for my ear canals and the best way to fit them, they began to sing! I now use the reference filters and the foam tips and for my choice of music (mainly mid to late seventies bands) and they now have a wonderful rich timbre and musicality.
      Rearwing, May 23, 2015
    2. atoniolin
      I think I can relate to your experience. Modern recorded songs seem to fare pretty well on the T10is, but classics seem to be a bit muddied, especially on the vocals region. Pretty sad tbh, because I really love the build quality of these. It's the reason I'm still keeping them.
      atoniolin, Jun 11, 2015
  5. mark2410
    RHA T10 Quick Review by mark2410
    Written by mark2410
    Published Mar 24, 2015
    Pros - Beyond epic power, beyond epic build in a drop dead gorgeous package.
    Cons - All of the power, coldly aggressive hard bass. A true uber beast of an IEM
    RHA T10 Quick Review

Thanks to RHA for the sample.

Full review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/760180/rha-t10-review-by-mark2410

Brief:  The best built IEM ever.

Price:  £140 OR in the US US$190

Specification:  Drivers Dynamic (model 770.1), Frequency range 16-22,000Hz, Impedance 16 ohm, Sensitivity 100db, Rated/max power 1/5mW, Weight 41g, Cable 1.35m, multicore OFC, Connections 3.5mm, gold plated

Accessories:  Tuning Filters with Holder, 6 pairs, dual density ear tips - S x2 / M x2 / L x2, 2 pairs, double flange ear tips - S x1 / M x1, 2 pairs, memory foam ear tips - universal fit, Stainless steel ear tip holder, Premium carry case, Clothing clip

Build Quality:  Beyond imagining for an IEM.  1300 degree injection moulded steel construction.

Isolation:  Rather good for a dynamic.  Though someone else has said it’s terrible.  For me it would be good for normal usage, maybe even the odd flight.  Easily enough to get yourself killed if you don’t use your eyes.

Comfort/Fit:  Physically they fit me excellently. Their physical comfort was superb too.

Aesthetics:  Oooooooh pretty!!!  They walk a magnificent line of looking amazing, attention grabbing and yet multiple shades of grey and steel which makes them look more refined.  I like them very much visually.

Sound:  All of the sound!!!!  Like a powerful wall of it coming at you and hitting you like the proverbial ton of bricks.  Except a ton of actual bricks would be more gentle.  It’s hard, unyielding, aggressive, potent, powerful and yet those words don’t quite capture the brutality it will hurl your way.  Its bass is cold and dark, aggressive with no hint of softening and just grows as it descends, like the darkness might falling into a glacial crevasse.   Mids are cold, dry and highly explicit.  Still that dark icy quality that feels like it might rise up and cut you.  Its highs are cold too, hard, oh so hard and contain a lower treble, near sibilant edge.  It’s like a freezing cold wind that stings.  It is all these things and that just with the bass filters!!!  The silver is more V shaped retaining that bass but exploding up top in the treble.  The gold diminishes the bass and gave me a wildly dynamic treble.  Treble junkies might love it but my treble sensitive ears were left reeling, near blinded by its dazzle.

The T10 is hard, coldly aggressive power cannon, it’s not to be taken lightly.  A truly epic beast of a thing.

Value:  Well it’s the best built thing ever and one of the best looking too.  Would make for an awesome looking gift.  I’d be more tempted by the MA750 though if for myself.

Pro’s:   Beyond epic power, beyond epic build in a drop dead gorgeous package.

Con’s:  All of the power, coldly aggressive hard bass.  A true uber beast of an IEM
    1. HAMS
      I don't understand what your saying, too poetic LOL.
      HAMS, Mar 25, 2015
    2. mark2410
      if there is an aspect you would like me to try and help clarify for you, message in the full review thread pointing out what aspect is of interest to you.
      mark2410, Mar 25, 2015
    3. atoniolin
      :wink: I can feel your enthusiasm. I almost chuck the T10is for sale, then try to get some 'fun' songs and then I keep the T10is again. It's for the moments when you want fun, V shaped, boomy bass, treble boost, rather than accurate reproduction, audiophile sound, IMO.
      atoniolin, Jun 11, 2015
  6. lin0003
    Great Presentation, Tuning Needs Some Work
    Written by lin0003
    Published Feb 6, 2015
    3.5/5,
    Pros - Build Quality, Cable, Remote, Attention to Detail, Customer Service
    Cons - Unfortunately Sound is Bad
    RHA is a relatively new company to audio and one that I am somewhat familiar with, having reviewed their previous flagship, the MA750 a while ago. They are an audio company in the UK and I have always been a fan of their IEM designs for the admittedly short period that I have been aware of them. Truth is that I hadn’t heard of RHA before the MA750, but they have certainly grown quite a bit in the Head-Fi community and have been getting much more notice than previously.

DSC_0138.jpg

Just to bring up the previous RHA product that I have reviewed, I found the MA750 to be a very competent IEM, offering deliciously bassy yet controlled sound at a very reasonable price. The build was also impeccable, the cable was thick and sturdy, but flexible, the housings beautifully smooth, but the MA750s weren’t those all-rounders that I could easily recommend to someone who listens to all genres. I was really hoping that the RHA T10i would be able to fill that gap and I was very hopeful with a few very cool accessories namely the changeable filters.

The RHA T10i is priced at $200 in the US and around $300 or maybe a little cheaper in Australia, so it is by no means a budget IEM, but doesn’t really reach that high end price tag yet. Would this be a giant killer that takes down the likes of the W40 or blend into the ever growing pool of IEMs in its price bracket? I must admit, the sound was not quite what I was accustomed to, but let’s go on to see how the T10i performed.

**Disclaimer** These were given to me in exchange for an unbiased and honest review.

Unboxing & Accessories
    From the get go, the packaging of the RHA T10i screams class and looks absolutely awesome. I remember that the MA750 was presented in a similar way and RHA really let buyers know and appreciate what they paid for. I particularly liked the back of the box, where they highlight all of the parts of the earphone, was quite interesting. On the side are the specifications, And the front of the box shows off that amazing three year warranty, nice to see that RHA really stand behind their products. Upon opening the magnetic flaps, the first thing that I saw was the frequency graph with the filter changes included. I wouldn’t really go by what the frequency graph shows though, I don’t think it sounds anything like the graph on the box. It gives you more info about the housing, filters and the driver. Sliding it out, the filters, tips and earphones are there, under which is the case, manual and cable clip. Overall, this is great.

DSC_0136.jpg

It certainly does not come with a shortage of tips, there are a tone of tips to choose from, nicely put on a plate which can be slipped into the RHA case. The cable clip is a nice inclusion, but not really necessary with over the ear wear. The case is very fancy, leather, but perhaps not the most practical: it is not the most protective and a little bulky, but it looks very good and screams class along with the rest of the package. Oh, and comply tips are included as well if you use complys. Oh, and I forgot the most impressive thing lol, the filters. There is a bass filter, a reference filter and a treble filter.

Design & Cable & Isolation
    It is very hard to fault the T10i on design, whoever thought up of the physical design certainly did a superb job, it looks very well built and sturdy, but also sleek and looks wonderful. I would have no issues wearing these anywhere. The housing is made entirely of moulded stainless steel and there are no blemishes anywhere on mine, it is one of the best looking IEMS I have come across IMO. The right and left side also have red and blue highlights which is always a welcome addition. The shape of the earphones are also very ergonomically friendly and I had no comfort issue with them. One thing I did realise was that they don’t feel like they seal like normal earphones, but you should be able to tell from the sound whether you have a proper seal. Top marks for RHA here.

Zero issues with the RHA cable, it is one of the nicest stock cables I have used, but the one slight gripe I have with these is the fact that I find the memory wire to be just slightly too long and it is not as snug over my ears as I like, but that is just me and I don’t think anyone else has complained about this to take this with a grain of salt. The remote is also very sleek and metal with a  rubber coating on one side, with the pause button in the middle and volume up/down keys on the side. Strain relief is very effective, maybe a bit overkill, but at least it works lol. The jack feels very sturdy as well.

Isolation is nothing special, don’t be fooled into thinking they are isolation monsters just because of that Shure shaped housing because they are definitely not. They aren’t bad at all, but just not good either. Pretty average as far as IEMs go from my experience. These didn’t go nearly as far into my ears as my SE846 does.

Testing Gear
    Scalability is always something I look for in any piece of gear and I make sure that I test the stuff I review on several sources because some pairings can sound quite bad. The RHA didn’t sound particularly bad with anything, but it did do a bit better with some amplification, but I was unfortunately not really able to squeeze any more detail out of these even with amping and a very detailed source. Amping these will result in a large soundstage and better imaging, but not really much else, these are quite versatile as far as sources go. I liked them the best with the DX90, but it wasn’t really much better than my phone or even the Clip+. Granted it is a bit flatter, but it wasn’t a huge improvement and if you have already got a RHA T10i and you are pondering whether to get a DAP, I would recommend that you just get a cheap player with a  decent amp, or a cheap portable amp like the NX1 or SAP-5.

Sound Quality
    I guess it is the previous models of the RHA lineup, but I had already strongly suspected that the T10i was going to be a bass heavy IEM not unlike the MA750. To say the least, this was definitely right! Not to spoil the rest of the review, I must warn you that this review may seem just a tad harsh because I am not a huge fan of the sound signature and the tuning, but I also know many people who enjoy this, so make sure to read impressions from other reviewers as well to gain a broader picture of how these sound and whether these are for you.

DSC_0140.jpg

Bass
    You could say that RHA is a basshead oriented company and from what I have read and the two RHA models I have demoed extensively, you’d be right, but the bass on the T10i was really not what I expected at all. With the MA750, the bass was hard, but relatively quick and wasn’t bloated and while I would love to say this is true for the RHA T10i as well, I just can’t. The bass is very boosted, to the point where it seems quite boomy and somewhat bloated. These impressions are with the “reference” filters, and the bass filters are definitely not any better. Detail is not great, bass lacks definition and depth. While sub-bass rumble is very strong and “satisfying”, I found it to often be over the top. The mid-bass would also often bleed into the midrange, which I found to be a real nuisance. Maybe if you are a complete basshead, or want something extremely bass heavy, these could be for you, but unfortunately I simply did not enjoy the bass.

DSC_0142.jpg

Midrange
    As mentioned before, the bass bleeds into the midrange, which sometimes muffles it a little bit, but generally the midrange wasn’t too bad. It’s strengths shine through on tracks with little to no bass, when the bass doesn’t totally overpower the midrange. The mids are definitely warm, not dark, but warm and liquid. I did not experience any vocal sibilance on these, which is nice, but something I noticed was that I was turning the volume up more than I normally do to make the vocals clearer, but keep in mind that I am usually quite a soft listener and I listen nowhere near the levels I know some head-fiers at meets do. Instruments sound similarly warm and doesn’t have that natural timbre that I hear with other IEMs. TBH, I thought that they sounded perhaps just a bit muffled, like I was listening from behind a blanket. Although the midrange is not too bad, it is far from the best and does not stand out in its price range.

DSC_0139.jpg

Treble
    I’m glad to say that the treble is the most pleasant part in this earphone and a section where I don’t really mind. It is not bad, and the treble doesn’t seem overly dark, but it is by no means emphasized whatsoever. Upon first listening to it, I thought that the treble was dark, but after a longer period, I felt like it was really just the midrange and powerful bass that was causing this, the treble is polite, but not dark IMO. Cymbals don’t quite have that sparkle that I like, but it doesn’t sound dull, but detail in the treble is really overshadowed by the significantly more prominent bass, which really annoyed me during my listening sessions. The resonation of the bass makes it one of the slowest bass responses I have heard and as a result, even impacts the treble. What is quite interesting is that the T10i responds quite well to EQ and sounds nice when EQed, so it has potential, it is just the tuning that is keeping it down.

DSC_0137.jpg

Soundstage & Imaging
    Despite its shortcomings, I was expecting an expansive and large soundstage, but instead the stage is small and intimate. Obviously IEMs in general aren’t known for their huge soundstages, but the T10i does not have a large soundstage at all. Whether this is good or bad is for you to decide, many people prefer a larger soundstage, but many others like that intimate Grado presentation. Personally I’m more of a HD800 presentation guy, so the RHA wasn’t hugely impressive for me, but I know that some of you reading this will like the closed in presentation.

Imaging is just OK, not great, not bad. The small stage means that everything seems more packed together, which I found to have an adverse effect on the imaging. It is also quite hard to judge the imaging, because there is a lack of detail and coherence which is what I usually use as a template for imaging. When Eqed, the imaging got a bit better, so once again, it is the tuning which is limiting these.

DSC_0135.jpg

Separation, Detail & Clarity
    I can say once again, that these are quite good when EQed in the separation area. I know that it is extremely repetitive, but the point that I am trying to get across is that these are really not bad at all with some EQ. In the stock form, the separation is not good to say the least. It sounds muffled, instruments are very blurry and it is hard to make out the nuances in the background that most $200 IEMs are capable of revealing. Disappointing, but there is an easy fix and by now I’m sure you know what it is
    [​IMG].

Detail is basically the same thing as the separation, but worse. It is terrible, it is hands down one of the least detailed earphones in the price bracket that I have heard. Decent detail is expected in a relatively expensive IEM such as this, but unfortunately it is not detailed whatsoever and IEMs such as the Titan 1 and Heaven IV easily beat it. Put on some EQ and they are good, not great, but better than most.

Clarity is perhaps the worst out of the three. I see clarity as how clear the music is, and the RHA T10i is simply not. I’m sorry if this is harsh, but the music sounds muffled and is not a pleasant experience, which is really what we are after when we purchase a premium product right? EQ them and…..

DSC_0134.jpg

Filters
    The bass filter is worse, more muddy and darker than the reference.

The treble filter is not bad, a little better but still very dark. Filters will not be able to solve the tuning issues.

Customer Service
    It is worth mentioning that RHA are one of the best companies out there when it comes to customer service. They are quick to answer questions and are always around on the forums responding to questions and helping others. Their warranty service is also unmatched by any company I have seen and the 3 year warranty is certainly very impressive and is certainly not a gimmick. I’ve even see people without a receipt get their IEMs serviced. Hats off to RHA here, every company should offer the professionalism that they do.

DSC_0133.jpg

Summary
    So is the RHA T10i a terrible IEM? Definitely not, but is it tuned terribly? Certainly. While it’s not the worst tuned IEM I have heard, it does get into that area. However, they do have quite a bit of potential with EQ, and if you plan to use them with a phone, it will be very easy and there are many apps including most stock players that can do this. I personally recommend using Poweramp to reduce the bass by a lot and push up the upper mids and the treble. This way they sound quite nice and are worth the $200 price tag IMO, especially with the build and service.

Some advice for RHA, make sure that you guys tune your future IEMs to be more neutral, especially with something that has a “reference” filter. The bass and treble filters would be nice to change the sound to the users’ preference. Other than this, the RHA T10i is a good IEM, just tuned badly.
      Brooko and AmberOzL like this.
  7. chupacabra314
    Stunning design and build quality, questionable sound
    Written by chupacabra314
    Published Jan 11, 2015
    3.0/5,
    Pros - Design, build quality, attention to detail
    Cons - Lows overpower everything, thick and veiled sound sig, earguides are a bit too long.
    I purchased the T10i for myself and spent about 50hrs listening to electronic music, hard rock, heavy metal, jazz and classical while sitting, sleeping or working out.

This is an emotional review for me as I was really excited to see such a well built and ergonomically designed IEM that didn't skimp on the lows but still (according to reviews) managed to maintain high resolution and clarity. I won't spend much time on the packaging and accessories. There are plenty of reviews and photos out there already covering these. Will focus on what matters the most to me - design, build quality, comfort and sound quality.

Design and build quality:
    These things are gorgeous and seem bulletproof. They should be put in a museum for people to marvel at. For me $195 out of the $200 I paid for them are worth that amazing design and build. It's obvious a lot of thought has been put in the design not only from a "form" aspect but also from a "function" point of view. I love their form factor and the low profile they have when they sit in the ears.The patent pending earguides are a great idea but they are are bit too long and heavy so as a result their lower part wiggles around behind your ears when you move your head. Also when you want to store the IEMs you will either have to change their shape every time or use quite a big container. Moving down, the cable is phenomenal. It's soft and thick and I doubt there would be any microphonics even if these could be worn cable down. This is my first pair of IEMs where I don't worry the cable will snap every time I tug it too roughly and where I don't care the cables aren't detachable. The remote is nice and easy to use but it's a letdown that there is no Android option for it.The Y-split and the plug are both great, stainless steel and I love the metal spiral cable relief on the plug.

Comfort:
    As one can expect they are above average in this aspect. The housings are small enough to fit in smaller years and the nozzles aren't too wide. Achieving proper seal was a bit hard for me for some reason. I resorted to my stock Dunu reinforced eartips for a better fit. Compared to my Vsonic VSD1's swiveling nozzles, the T10i's were a bit too angled for me. I would prefer ~60 degrees vs. the ~85degrees of the T10i. Still the T10i's are the most comfortable IEM's I've tried to date after only the Westone W30 and even sleeping with them on was a breeze.

This is where it goes downhill for me...
    I love plentiful bass. I even thought of myself to be borderline basshead. When I got them I expected very warm sound, lots of bass and not-that-detailed mids and highs. Because of the reviews I've read, when I opened the box I immediately switched to the "treble" filters even before playing anything. To my surprise the lows were still just annihilating any other part of the spectrum apart from some highs between 8 and 10kHz. Just out of curiosity I tried the "reference" filter and even those little highs disappeared. So for the purpose of this review I'm not gonna even bother with the "bass" and "reference" filters.

Lows - If the T10i aren't a basshead IEM, I don't know what is. The bass extension is great. There is a powerful subbass rumble that you can feel all the way in your mouth, which I love. The midbass is too strong for me though. I had to eq it down by 3-4dB. The speed is not great either - all my other IEM's fared better in this regard. On a positive note, the bass doesn't bleed too much into the mids and didn't cause any notable distortions

Mids - So laid back that they are virtually non-existent. Any vocals seem quiet and distant and in many cases I was struggling to hear them over the powerful bass. Honestly I'm not a huge fan of mid-forward IEMs but on these even I had to eq up the mids by 3-4dB just to bring them to acceptable levels. Even so they still sound muddy and unrefined. Great for dance and hiphop but a nightmare for rock, classical etc.

Highs - Treble is a hit or miss. There is some treble sparkle but still leaves more to be desired. For me there is a very significant dip in 6500Hz followed by a mild peak in 9kHz. With proper eq-ing the treble can actually become quite pleasant. The detail is still not quite on par with some of my other dynamic IEMs like the JVC FXT90 or even the bassy VSonic VSD1.

Soundstage - I didn't find the soundstage to be particularly wide but with so much bass it's really hard for me to judge.

Noise isolation - I have no idea why pretty much every review out there says the T10i isolate above average. For me they had he worse isolation out of any IEM I've ever owned. I could carry a normal conversation with the music off.

A note on tips - I spent several hours tip rolling both for fit and sound purposes. Interestingly I didn't notice any significant effect on the sound from changing tips.Wider bore tips like the Auvio and Dunu's reinforced stocks did improve the treble a little. The Sony hybrids and Comply foams improved comfort a bit vs the T10 stocks.

Conclusion:
    The reason I mentioned this review was very emotional for me was because I think there is a lot of wasted potential here and that drives me bananas. I think such an extraordinarily well made product should come with a sound quality to match. If the "reference" filters leaned towards a flatter signature, the other two would have really been valuable, but in this case the T10i sound really really consumer-oriented, belonging right next to Beats in the Apple store. I really wanted to love the T10 but I did end up returning them. I really hope RHA makes a revision with a more refined sound ,maybe even a hybrid. I would gladly pay $100 extra for a dual BA in addition to the dynamic driver. Now that would be the ultimate universal fit IEM for me...
      Brooko and Gandasaputra like this.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. chupacabra314
      Yes, they are very dark with the "reference" and "bass" filters. The "treble" filter adds a little treble.
      chupacabra314, Jan 19, 2015
    3. gerardrosales
      It seems like every reviewer of the T10's take note of their overpowering low end performance. Would you rather choose the previous RHA flagship over these? I'm coming from a Harman Kardon AE which has a particularly sweet treble extension that's missing on the 750's when I auditioned them. Don't get me started about the treble rolloff. For a cheaper price point, I was surprised the 750's have a wider soundstage, better instrument separation, and better bass response.
      gerardrosales, Jan 29, 2015
    4. theUKMrT
      Aren't the HK AE's notoriously bassy?... If you like them you might prefer the T10's, but to me the 750's are much better - being way more balanced despite still having some substantial bass heft. The T10's seem overpriced, where the 750's are a total bargain for their performance.
      theUKMrT, Jan 29, 2015
  8. kyuuketsuki
    Clarity through the veil
    Written by kyuuketsuki
    Published Jan 4, 2015
    Pros - Superior build quality, great bass extension, complete accessories, fully featured
    Cons - Treble roll off, dark sounding almost veiled
    First, I need to give a shout out to SGS for including me on the tour. Due to the nature of most reviews here, I'm going to focus on the Reference filters, and give only brief impressions of the other two filters.

Set-ups used... Cowon J3 > Arrow 4G > T10i. Nexus 5 > T10i. Sansa Clip Zip (Rockboxed) > T10i.

Accessories: Now because of the nature of my receiving these, I did not receive the entirety of the accessories. However, from pictures, and what I did receive I can safely say that no expense was spared. From the wide array of tips (I only received the 3 main silicon tips) to the different filters to the carrying case. This had the accessories of some much higher end IEMs. The biggest complaint I have about the accessories is actually with the carrying case. As one who tends to keep their IEMs in their pocket I find the case too bulky and cumbersome. I would have liked to see that style of clamshell-esque case come with a pouch as well so that they could be more easily carried with the few accessories that are needed.

Build Quality: This is one aspect where I'm simply floored. Aside from the filters which are obviously going to be a weak point (forcing the filters on could damage threading and thus damage the phones themselves). The actual build I'd rank up almost as high as the Aurisonics Rockets, higher even in some respects. Specifically cable reliefs, which the Rockets lack entirely. That said everything else is just prime. The casing is gorgeous stainless steel and tough. The cables themselves are thick and rubbery, perhaps slightly unwieldy, but not in a bad way (unless you count the length, which is the one downside, as it has too much length for my ears to pocket, and I'm a fairly tall guy). Possibly the best part is the strain relief at the plug which uses a spring, which in my experience has the most consistent track record of being fashionable and functional without adding bulk. Even among 90 degree and 45 degree cable types it seems, in my limited experience, that spring supported strain relief actually last better than others. Everything about the build and design are great. The ear guides are some of the best I've seen. They don't use a memory wire, but something else entirely which seems to work well. Though I'm not sure it was necessary considering the cable was very pliable and probably would have stayed in place regardless. I'd say they are a bit heavy for my tastes, but that can be forgiven, and I'm sure given enough time, I'd get used to the weight.

Sound: (I will post impressions of the other filters as an appendix of sound)

Bass: Easily the deepest and most powerful sounding bass I've ever heard from an IEM. It is truly quite magnificent. Normally with this sort of bass response you would expect veiling of the rest of the spectrum but I did not find that. Instead I found a masterful progression. Overall the bass was very linear and transitioned into the midrange nicely. To put this into perspective, when I did my comparison to my ASG-2s it was almost like the bass, midrange and treble were all separated. This imparts the illusion of clarity, but can mess with how everything sounds organically. The T10i took a different approach and made the spectrum roll. The midrange didn't seem veiled to my ears, but it was definitely darker skewed. For bass intense music this was fine, but for anything else it could seem almost veiled. The biggest issue is when I listened to music with fast bass, like metal. This is what showed the greatest weakness of the T10i... The bass is painfully slow. I take note to not listen to fast metal music or anything with similar bass speed on my M100s because I know it isn't exceedingly fast, these I'd have to do the same.

Midrange: This is where it gets interesting. These are technically what I would consider "midrange forward" but in comparison to the bass they are pulled back a bit. The mids aren't recessed at all, but they can sometimes seem it if you are listening to a bass heavy song. It took the likes of female vocal jazz to really shine that light on it. The midrange is detailed, but significantly colored. It however cannot hold a candle to the Rockets, or ASG series in terms of sheer realism or weight. In fact, I'd say these aren't very 'real' sounding at all. It, like the bass, didn't have enough bite or speed for my liking. Piano and guitar sometimes felt lacking in the midrange frequencies. Again, while not veiled, it wasn't sharp. I don't feel the bass negatively impacted the midrange because of the warmth, but rather the tuning and speed of the driver just didn't allow notes to have the sort of decay needed for realism.

Treble: This is where it gets sticky.There is definitely roll off, and if anything this is where realism lacks the most. With the reference filter I fail to see how it is reference. The treble is very subdued and isn't very reference like. The only thing I can think of is that the reference filter has the most linear response across the spectrum and that is why it is "reference." The clarity and detail were there despite the warm nature. I didn't miss many details that I would normally have with my Rockets or ASG-2s. Though I would class all three of my main IEMs to be more detail retrieving than the T10is (Rockets ASG-2 and RE400) these were no slouch. I'm actually surprised because I didn't expect such a warm headphone to have such detail. In retrospect, I think these would be a better version of the ASG1.3. Which I technically rated higher, but in retrospect I would lower that one by two stars because it was lacking in detail. Keep in mind these aren't the most detailed I've heard. But they are sufficiently detailed in my opinion. They can't hold a light to BA IEMs or Microdriver IEMs, but they are no slouch. They are more detailed that the Sennheiser IE6 and Shure SE215 by a long shot. I'd say they have some of the best detail of a warm headphone I've heard. The biggest complaint is because of the warm nature of these headphones though the dynamic range for piano is there, there is not enough bite or sharpness. You hear the notes but the notes lack the realism you would expect. While I hear the notes, and details, they do not sound right or accurate to my ears.

Notes about Treble and Bass filter: The bass filter is pretty much unusable to me. All my notes about clarity and detail essentially go out the window. It is almost like turning up the dial on the ASG-2s What was once somewhat controlled bass becomes overbearing and encompassing of the entire spectrum. I'm sure there are people and genres that this would work for. But for the few songs I listed to with these filters on, I found them unlistenable.

The treble filter on the other hand was quite nice. It made the T10is more balanced overall. They were still warm, but the issues surrounding them became less prevalent. Details seemed clearer, and the 'veil' was lifted to a pretty significant degree. The treble became peakier and more reminiscent of the M-100s.  This would honestly be my preferable filter overall.

Conclusion: As time progressed I've become less interested in bassy headphones. This may be due to the fact that I fell in love with the RE400s and the Rockets which are a warmer tone of neutral, and that seems to work best for me. However I still find it beneficial to having bassy headphones. This would honestly be the ones for me. Though my review sounded rather negative, that is because the reference filter subdued a lot of the positives that I would have normally stated because the highs and midrange were more subdued from the reference filter. Again, everything felt more linear, but the balance was more skewed to warm. The treble filter was less linear but more balanced. I overall enjoyed my time with the T10i, and would consider owning them as a cheaper repleacement for my current bassy IEMs the ASG-2s and make the ASG-2s into ASG-1 Plus. I could use the SE215 for that purpose and just take the plunge, but the SE215 are less detailed and honestly less bassy for a "bassy" headphone. If I could get these for a similar price as the MA750is I'd do so in a heartbeat and take the plunge. These are a great sub-300 bassy headphone and if that is the sound you are looking for then look no further, just keep in mind that these are not the most accurate or realistic sounding IEMs, but they do have powerful visceral bass.
      WNBC and iDesire like this.
    1. WNBC
      I agree with most if not everything said here.  In a world of limitless money I could see owning these.  For now, I'm interested in what RHA puts out next for the less bass-craving crowd.
      WNBC, Jan 5, 2015
  9. WNBC
    RHA T10i almost converted me to the dark side
    Written by WNBC
    Published Jan 1, 2015
    3.5/5,
    Pros - Craftsmanship, bass quality
    Cons - Dark signature, lack of transparency, bass quantity
    INTRODUCTION.  It can be a daunting process selecting an earphone among the hundreds that are available.  I was in need of an affordably priced in-ear headphone for work.  The Read Health Audio (RHA) T10i aesthetics appealed to me and their other earphones have been well received by the community.  A special thanks goes to Head-fier shotgunshane for setting up the T10i loaner program.  I took a full week to get acquainted with the T10i before sending it off to the next reviewer.  That was a sufficient length of time for them to make an impression on me.  My main regret was that I neglected to take pictures the last day.  I was in a rush and did not want to delay the shipment of the earphones.  However, there are plenty of pictures of these gorgeous earphones on the web.

If there are no mechanical issues then I believe there is not a best or worst sounding earphone.  There are flavors of earphones that are best for individuals at a given price range.  If a potential buyer reads through this review and finds that he or she shares similar values in audio then the review will play some small part in the informed decision process.

PREFERENCES.  Probably a good idea to reveal my biases up front.  I lean towards a flat frequency response or even a slightly bright presentation with gobs of detail.  However, if you look at my profile or know my past earphones/headphones you will understand that I have no problem straying from a balanced type of sound.  There is room for many flavors of headphones in my arsenal.  My favorite headphone to date is the HD800.  For earphones, I really enjoyed the Heir Audio 4Ai and Aurisonics Rockets a lot.  With that said, I have owned guilty pleasures such as the ASG2 & 2.5, LCD-2, PS-500, TH-600, and RE-262.  The ASG2.5 has been my favorite earphone to date and I may return to it after further exploration.  I can appreciate tight bass and a warm sound signature.  I do not have much experience with bassy earphones.  A U-shape frequency response is fine with me though it would not serve as my only earphone or headphone.  Dare I say I prefer tube amps?  I do, especially with the HD800.  Therefore, I am not a complete audiophile neutral robot.  I primarily listen to small jazz trios but I have my phases when I will reach for reggae, folk, classic rock, electronica, and music from the Middle & Far East.

RANKED IMPORTANCE OF SOUND CHARACTERISTICS:
    Detail > Air > Transparency > Slightly Forward Mids > Timbre > Texture > Attack > Articulation > Layering > Musicality > Soundstage > Impact

PLAYLIST:
    The Hilliard Ensemble Bach Morimor “Partita for Violin Solo No. 2 in D minor, BWV”
    Youn Sun Nah “Lament”
    Pierre Bensusan “Chant De Nuit”
    Grateful Dead “Ripple”
    Dire Straits “Sultans of Swing”
    Coheed and Cambria “2113”
    Groundation “Suffer the Right”
    Helge Lien Trio “Sceadu”
    Avishai Cohen “Etude”
    Foo Fighters “Everlong (Acoustic Version)”
    Massive Attack “Future Proof”
    Jerry Garcia and David Grisman “Arabia”

SOURCES:  iPhone 6 Plus and iFi iDSD Micro.  I do not know how the T10i sounds with other smartphones or a separate portable amp, but the iPhone 6 drove it with authority.  The iPhone 6 is a fairly good sounding, balanced music player.  I do not want to bulk up my portable listening rig at work.  This earphone did not sound significantly better or worse with the well-regarded iFi iDSD Micro.  Meaning, the overall warm character of the T10i cannot be significantly changed by a lean amp.   The iDSD Micro’s amp section is known for being on the lean side with maybe only a smidge of extra warmth added to the signal.  Using the internal amp, the iDSD pairs well with bass-tilted headphones like the TH-600 or warm headphones like the PS-500.

BUILD QUALITY:  The T10i’s drivers sit inside beautifully constructed stainless steel housings.  I find the T10i aesthetics very appealing.  One does not feel RHA spared any expense in the quality of materials.  The cable is relatively heavy compared to any earphone I own but it was not too troublesome.  The over-the-ear design was well thought out and worked well.  My main suggestion to RHA would be to go with a lighter cable or detachable cable so one can opt for a lightweight aftermarket cable.  I am not one that worries about microphonics because I use earphones while sitting at my work desk.  When walking around with the T10i in my ear I was not distracted by microphonics.

COMFORT:  I could listen for a stretch of 2 hours before I needed to pull the relatively large T10i out and give my ears a quick stretch.   This is the case for most earphones and my ears.  The isolation was pretty good and I had no complaints.  I used the stock tips.

INITIAL IMPRESSION:  The reference filter was already installed and my first response was “This is the reference filter?”  My definition of reference is one of a near flat frequency response and these were far from that with this filter.   However, “reference” in this case could be in reference to the house RHA sound, which is something I am not familiar with.  My first impression was that the T10i is a dark sounding earphone and this may be what people call a basshead earphone.   Probably the darkest signature I have experienced.  The T10i was not harsh sounding, but in fact fairly smooth and very warm.  What I may consider a very warm signature others might call a slightly to moderately warm signature.               Depending on which camp you fall into, the prominent bass is the strength or weakness of this earphone.  The soundstage and imaging were adequate for the genres of music I listen to.  I had no problem with these characteristics of the T10i.  The noticeable warmth and bass of the T10i told me what RHA was going for with this earphone.  My initial impressions have not always been my final impression and I continued to listen to the T10i.

FILTERS:  The majority of this review will be focused on the T10i with the treble filter.  I felt the treble filter did the most to tame the bass and allow the other characteristics of the T10i to come through without distraction.  Plus, there was still plenty of bass response with the treble filter.  Application of the bass filter did not result in out-of-control bass, but rather more bass than was necessary or realistic.  Fun for a short while?  Yes, but not something I would leave on the T10i for general listening.  Details in the upper bass and lower midrange were prominent with all filters, but especially with the bass filter.  A jazz musician tapping his foot on the ground or a slight bump of the mic on a podcast show was a bit too elevated for my tastes.  For male vocals the sound was a bit heavy or chesty with the reference or bass filters.  The treble filter did allow me to enjoy male and female vocals more so than with the other two filters.  The treble filter was more aligned with my sonic preferences.

DETAIL:  I felt that the T10i was fairly good in this regard, especially with the treble filter.  I am partial to a more etched sound, but the T10i had plenty of details in the midrange and lower frequencies.  Detail was there in the upper frequencies, albeit somewhat subdued.  Overall, it is a smooth sounding earphone that does not sacrifice too much detail when the treble filter is at work.  There probably is not a loss of detail with the other filters, but the bass stands out and can easily draw away your attention away from the rest of the spectrum.

MIDRANGE:  Mids are slightly forward which is what I like.  Recessed mids would be an instant killer for me.  I did feel like the leading edge of notes was rounded and when combined with the warmth and lack of air gave me an impression of a slight veil or congestion.  The attack is not as quick or as biting as I might prefer for guitar performances.  The plucking of guitar strings was lacking the texture one might get from more detailed or revealing earphones.  However, those earphones do not deliver the bass and fuller sound of the T10i nor are they under $200.  In the world of IEMs, one does not get the cake and eat it too for less than $400.  You have to spend much more in order to get an IEM that can do many things (bass, treble, midrange) cleanly.

The coloration of the T10i presents the midrange with a tonality that is far from natural.  Some people will like the coloration, others will not.  I typically want to get as close to live or natural reproduction as possible.  The midrange is not missing or distant, it is just presented against a backdrop of warmth that does not appeal to me.   The coloration is one of warmth, thickness, and heaviness.  Others may call it a lush sound.  Especially for jazz, the T10i coloration is not working for me.  My ideal is one of crystalline clarity or ultimate transparency and that is not what I get from the T10i.  The realism was not coming through.

TREBLE:  With the treble filter in place I did feel there was an increased extension in the treble that was less apparent with the bass and reference filters.  The treble was still clearly not an equal partner with the midrange and bass.  The treble lacked a delicateness and openness that I would like for cymbals, chimes, and other instruments that can reach into that 2-10 kHz range.  As someone who has enjoyed the LCD-2 and HE-500 I do not need the treble to be overemphasized.  However, with such warmth coming out of the T10i the treble is bound to suffer as it is going to stray from neutrality.  With that said, I am glad RHA included the treble filter as that was my favorite and the sound with this filter would be the closest to winning me over.

BASS:  For many, the main attraction of the T10i will be its extended and visceral bass responseThere is plenty of weight, punch, and impact here.  One man’s overly abundant bass is another man’s ideal bass quantity.  The decay and quality of the bass was very good.  It did not sound bloated or like one-note bass.  The bass quantity was too much for my tastes with the reference filter.  I could probably live with the delivered bass coming through the treble filter.  I will not deny that it was fun at times to listen to the sub-bass response with the bass filter.

CONCLUSIONS:  I think if you have similar likes-dislikes and an average, healthy middle-aged ear such as me then you might come away with the same feelings about the T10i.  Overall, the T10i did not fit my preference profile for earphones as I am likely to gravitate towards a more balanced, airy, and revealing sound.  However, there will definitely be an audience for the T10i.  For me, I would say the T10i was 75-80% of what I might want in a general-use earphone.  If I was in the market for a warm, bass-heavy earphone then I would consider the T10i to be a top candidate in the under $200 price club.

Could I grow to like the T10i given more time?   Possibly, with the notion that the T10i was not going to be my everyday earphone.  I did not spend a lot of time trying to EQ the sound.  I played around a little with the EQ in the Can Opener app on my iPhone.  I also applied the flat response EQ profile in Amarra.  EQ tweaks did not significantly change my opinion as the dark signature was still there.  I do prefer that my earphone purchases sound closer to my preference right off the bat as I am not one to tweak.  The excessive warmth was the main negative for me.  I listen to a lot of music with acoustic guitar, piano, and double bass.  For these instruments, I do not like the extra warmth provided by the T10i.  A little warmth is ok, but the T10i leans far to the left.  For me, instruments should be reproduced to sound crisp and natural.  The bass of the T10i was inappropriate or less than natural with the reference and bass filters.   With the treble filter the bass less overwhelmed me.

The T10i is just not my cup of tea.  If the opportunity came along to buy one of these used at say half off MSRP I would do it.  Why?  Every once in a while I want a lot of bass as it can be fun for short periods of time with the right genre like reggae.  I am not familiar with bassy earphones and among this group the T10i may be top of the food chain at this price range.

I do not think the opinions about the sonic character of the T10i have been very different.  However, I do believe that the T10i coloration will be very polarizing.  But, what piece of audio equipment does not have dissenters as well as proponents?  Maybe with the T10i there will be fewer people in the middle.

I do look forward to other offerings from RHA, as they do seem to be a company that listens to its potential customers.  Likely they will roll out an earphone with a flatter baseline frequency response.  Throwing in the bass, reference, and treble filters would then be icing on the cake.  Maybe even a user tunable bass port.  I would be one of the first in line to hear such an earphone with or without a loaner program in place.  The build quality, accessories, and fair pricing are enough to keep me intrigued by this company.  I am truly excited to see what they do next.
      Carlsan likes this.
  10. gikigill
    Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
    Written by gikigill
    Published Dec 29, 2014
    Pros - Build quality, packaging, accessories, sound filters, bass response, overall value.
    Cons - Might be too warm for some, need amplification.

Is being a Jack of all trades and Master of none really a bad thing?

Firstly thank you to RHA and Lin0003 for organizing the tour of the T10i as this was one IEM I was anticipating hotly after owning the MA750 and loving its sound. RHA has been impressive so far so the T10i carries a huge burden on its steel shoulders. So without much ado lets get into the review.

Packaging: Great as always with RHA and reminiscent of the MA750. Nice big box with plenty of tips and the three filters that lead me to the days when a Discman/Minidisc/Phone used to come with a plethora of accessories and it was an occasion to unwrap those unlike the Apples/Samsungs of today with just the phone,battery and a usb cable. A solid 10/10 for the packaging.

Build quality: RHA is known for its build quality and suffice to say the T10 carries on the tradition faithfully with its steel enclosures for the drivers , strain relief on the earphones and similar on the plug. All the bits exude solidity including the mic/volume buttons and I guess they fully justify the cost of these IEMs. The cable is pretty strong too and works with the reliefs to keep these ticking on.The soft case provided is a nice touch too with very soft materials and a classy finish.

Sound: Now onto the meat of the matter as all of the above attributes would be wasted if they didn't sound great. So how do they sound?

Well lets break it down then:

Treble: The treble on the T10 is very controlled and has plenty of sparkle without pushing into tinnitus territory. The IEMs have a warm signature so the treble doesn't dominate the scene and comes into action when called upon. Cymbals crash and decay decently fast and top end sparkle is under control at all times. Even after experimenting with the treble filter, the treble was always smooth and pleasant and a joy to listen to.

Midrange: This section of the T10 is something that changes very heavily with the type of filter used and with the bass filter there was a bit of bleed into the mids, nothing unpleasant but it does show how quickly the T10 can change character and turn on a dime.The standard filter brings things into perspective and the mids clear up with a nice smooth presentation and female vocals sounding fantastic without the typical sssssss sound that a lot of IEMs exhibit in female vocals.The treble filter however gave the best presentation as now the mids came into full play and seemed to have a slightly 3D characteristic to them. Great to listen to for any and all vocals.

Bass: The T10 does a Mr Hyde here and unleashes its evil (and highly likeable) side. The bass is fantastic and possesses a very nice rumble or punch depending on the kind of music being played.
    Listening to bass heavy music with the treble filter kept the bass in check with a nice smooth punch and the standard filter turned up the bass a bit more.Putting on the bass filter suddenly unleashes the inner beast and when paired with a good amp the bass can be monstrous and oh so satisfying. The punch is hard and fast, no doubt aided by the dynamic driver and the rigid steel enclosure and when there's a rumble while watching a movie, the T10 bring a smile on your face again as the drivers digs deep and brings it all without missing a beat.

The two major factors besides the filters that can affect the T10s sound is tips and amplification as running it off a phone resulted in pretty average performance while putting an amp in the equation tightened up everything and gave it a sense of coherency and balance. The Arrow 4G and the Cayin C5 definitely met its needs very well while the Note 4 gave an average presentation simply because it couldn't power them properly.The tips also make a huge difference as bigger tips seem to clear these up a bit while smaller tips again messed with the sound. The tip sizes are in relation to my ears so YMMV.

To conclude, the RHA T10i definitely has a tilt towards the warmer side but with diligent usage of filters you can change its nature to suit your music so no matter if you listen to classical or techno, the T10 will perform admirably in all situations with just a switch of its filters. I tried it with a fixed set of tracks I use to gain a proper perspective and the T10 rarely if ever was found lacking in a particular area and considering its overall package such as the build, accessories,filters and RHAs customer service it is definitely something to consider in its price range and
    a great deal at its current price.
      iDesire likes this.
    1. View previous replies...
    2. tusing
      I disagree with this review. I had to return the T10i. Even if you use the mid and treble filters, the bass and lows are simply too strong, and the treble and much of the mids seem far too recessed.
      tusing, Jan 11, 2015
    3. 8lias
      Agreed with both @irablumberg and @tusing.  I wish this wasn't the case because it a very well built and attractive pair but the overly empower bass makes them less enjoyable.  I like bass but not when they dominate the rest of the spectrum.
      8lias, Jan 12, 2015
    4. unkle
      Agree with the review. Simply perfect :wink:.
      unkle, Mar 10, 2015

Comments

To view comments, simply sign up and become a member!