Philips Fidelio X1

- Acoustic open-back design
- Breathable velvet cushions
- Double layered ear-shells

Latest reviews

Pros: Excellent bass, soothing vocals, non fatiguing treble.
Cons: Pads are glued on

Although, I prefer neutral headphones, I like to have fun with bassy headphones that don't have a muddy sound. On my adventure to find a pair of headphones that satisfied my open back bass needs I went through several popular headphones mid-fi headphones until I settled with the X1s. Powered by my SMSL M8 Stack, these headphones sounded great with everything I threw at them. I spent most of my time with these headphones listening to EDM/Hip Hop and also did a bit of competitive gaming.

Specifications:
Frequency response: 10 - 40 000 Hz
Impedance: 30 Ohm
Maximum power input: 500 mW
Sensitivity: 100 dB @ 1mW
Speaker diameter: 50 mm
Distortion: <0.1% THD

Comfort: The X1s/X2s are by far the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. I have a fairly big head, so most headphones I wear feel too small or have too much clamp. This was not the case with the Fidelios. There is little to no clamp and the velour earpads feel like pillows resting gently on my ears.

Bass: These headphones have a midbass hump with rolled off sub bass. The mid bass has plenty of impact and doesn't bleed into the mids.

Vocals: The mids on these headphones are very warm and clear but slightly recessed. I found that these headphones made male vocals sound a lot more interesting than they usually are.

Treble: While the treble is not the greatest quality of these headphones, they do have great treble reproduction. The high end is smooth and non fatiguing with a little sparkle added to them without being sibilant.

Build Quality: As good as these headphones sound, the build quality is probably it's best feature. These headphones have an all metal construction with a calf leather headband. My only complaint as far as build quality goes is the provided 3.5mm cable. These headphones sounded slightly grainy until I swapped out the provided cable for a better one.

Competitive Gaming: The X1s are an excellent choice for competitive gaming. The boosted low end makes it easy to distinguish enemy footsteps.

All in all, these headphones can often be found under $200 and I think they are a steal for the price. The instruments are accurately produced, the vocals are warm and clear, and the all parts of the music is nicely positioned in the sound field. If you love open back headphones but want similar bass impact as closed cans, then look no further. These bass rich headphones are must have for fans of EDM/Hip Hop. These headphones leak a lot of sound and I would not recommended these to anyone that uses their headphones in a noisy environment.
Pros: Looks, comfort, detail, detachable cable, sound, build quality
Cons: Stock cord isn't great (build is great but since its woven can cause noise artifacts when something touches it)
Once you take these out of the box you see how high quality they are. The metal on on the ear cups, the grate on the cups that's also made of metal. Then the headband made of leather, overall excellent build quality. Then the sound, just wow they sound great for all music. They have a warm relaxing sound for easy long listening. Would totally recommend to someone who has treble sensitivity because these don't feel irritating at all the music I have tried on them (Jazz, EDM, House, Experimental electronic, Blues, Folk).

Build-Excellent

Comfort- Excellent

Sound- Excellent

-Score
10/10

If you have an opportunity to buy them do it you will have no regrets happy listening

Pros: Great bass, great soundstage, great sound overall
Cons: None for me
People here are saying these sound artificial, they have too much bass, treble is weird or whatever.
Truth is, these are my perfect headphone, and if you're someone like me, who isn't a seasoned audiophile, and doesn't care about the sound maybe, possibly not being 100% natural and neutral, you're gonna love these!

These have the wow-factor. They sound great. They sound fun! And that's what I want from my headphones - they need to make me want to listen to them. And these just do. If they sound unnatural (which I'm not convinced they do) to achieve this - fine by me. Just make my music sound awesome. And these do exactly that.

Bass ir strong. Are these heavy bass cans? I say no - most of the bass is located low down. They do have an emphasis on sub bass and the kick you get from these, when the music calls for it, is fantastic. No mid bass / high bass bloat. Bass sounds clean and controlled. And powerful.
There's a hint of some treble spark. It's just a little (and perfectly IMHO) elevated.
Mids may be recessed somewhat compared to treble and bass, but they're still upfront and never sound dark.
And then there's the soundstage. So much wider and more open than other cans I've tried. The instruments are playing all around you, rather than inside your head.

The only thing these are a little lacking for me is "opennness". These are not transparent on your ears - they do isolate quite a bit of sound. With no music playing, you can still hear your own voice and your surroundings, but once the music starts playing, the rest completely disappears. But this is just a minor gripe.
Easy to drive, comfortable, great looking, well built. Got one of the last pairs on Amazon.co.uk for 180 pounds and couldn't be happier with my purchase. Gaming, music, movies - these do it all.

P.S. You're not taking these outside - they're not portable, they have retardo-huge earcups and are not that easy to drive. My phone can push them, but to fairly low levels and not enough to drown out background noise, since these are open.

Comments

There are no comments to display.